Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Maintenance Query??

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All - My partner always had provided for and is now court ordered to pay €75 per week to his ex towards his child (his ex is now married to a wealthy man with multiple properties, good job and has two more kids with him).

Unfortunatly our financial situation had changed and now he is not working, only receiving €188 JB, we have rent, bills, a child of our own and another on the way! He has applied to the courts to have this order lowered but it will be over three months before the court is available to sit on this..

- in the meantime can he explain situation to his ex, even though she'll disagree, and begin to only pay what he can afford until the court sits or will he be penalised for this as being in breach of court order?

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 captcha4

wear a condom next time

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I'd talk to a solicitor. You can get free consultations I think

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Apply to the district court for a variation; you don't need Solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

bunnies wrote: »
    Hi All - My partner always had provided for and is now court ordered to pay €75 per week to his ex towards his child (his ex is now married to a wealthy man with multiple properties, good job and has two more kids with him).

Doesn't matter if she's married to a wealthy man.

As Kildrought said apply to the district court for a variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You have applied to the courts, there is always a back log :( He can discuss it with the ex, but if she declines until the court date he is obliged to pay the amount set, (even if he doesn't have it) the only thing I can say to make you feel better is that usually the courts set maintenance at around €35 for those on SW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Surely the ex will agree to receiving less considering the cirumstances...maybe get the agreement in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

variation of maintenance is the order of the day.

you can make an application to do this. i did it without going to my solicitor.

if you're partner is still on friendly terms with his ex, then have a chat with them.

my money has gone down and it is reflected on what i pay for my child. just bring with you all the relevant info with you if you do have to wait a few months for court - money in and money out, receipts, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maria.c

I have two children with a man who I am now in the process of separating. He is receiving basic social welfare of 188euro. He already pays maintenance for a child from a previous broken down relationship of 50 weekly. Does anyone know if all 3 will now be entitled to the same if I take him to court? Can a judge from one hearing vary an order from another hearing in order to make all 3 children equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

maria.c wrote: »
    I have two children with a man who I am now in the process of separating. He is receiving basic social welfare of 188euro. He already pays maintenance for a child from a previous broken down relationship of 50 weekly. Does anyone know if all 3 will now be entitled to the same if I take him to court? Can a judge from one hearing vary an order from another hearing in order to make all 3 children equal.
    I would presume if a judge was given all the details it would be adjusted accordingly, and each parent would be entitled to the same per child. It might be down to the judge at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

silly wrote: »
    I would presume if a judge was given all the details it would be adjusted accordingly, and each parent would be entitled to the same per child. It might be down to the judge at the end of the day.

Yes each child would get the same but I would not expect 50e per child, thats 150e from 188e the person needs to live aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement