Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to start college again??

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Here's my dilemma. OK, I took a year out after I finished school, when I was 17 to work and take it easy, as I was told by a few people that I was a bit youg to start college and that maturity would do me good.

I wanted to study German and French in college as I LOVE languages and got very very very good grades in them in the LC. But I was told by a few people that doing languages is a risky thing, and that a degree in translation of German and French is not really a desirable qualification as demand for interpreters and translators and the like are falling.

I instead opted for a science course and am now in my third year and am not too keen on it. I was told that science is a great area. The thing is I am doing OK in it my grades are aver enough and I somewhat enjoy it.
    But apparently I have a good chance of a career in it.

I was thinking though of changing and starting from scratch in DCU in languages even though I mightn't have a job from it. I would LOVE my course adn get top notch grades in it though.

The only thing I would be disgruntled about though is that if I start from scratch it will be 4 years wasted, down the ****ing drain .... (my gap year after LC and 3 years spent doing science).

I will be the ripe old age of 21 starting in June and feel this is much too old and really should be graduating at that stage (or close too it) and gettin a career on track. (why didn't I listen to my mother and do languages instead )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

No such thing as too old to start college, theres a lady in one of my lectures who is around 70 and theres plenty of people ranging from 20-35 in 1st year. If you want to do it, go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Finish the science, I really don't think there is any benefit from walking away from it. Can you get an ordinary degree if you leave after 3 years? some courses do that.

be mindful you probably will have to pay tuition fees for your new course of around 5 grand, so it will be expensive repeating.

having a science degree and a language degree would make you a very good candidate for jobs.

I agree with Sid_Justice, after 3 years of hard work you might as well finish the science course, it's only one more year and it's a qualification that will stand to your favour no matter what job you're looking for.

Pursue languages afterwards, and maybe spend some time building up the cash for it. It's a worthwhile pursuit and you have all the time in the world to do it.

I suppose the best piece of advice I could give is calm down, take things one step at a time, and you'll never be too old for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

OP, I'd advise you to finish your current degree and then go back and do the languages one. As others have said, no such thing as too old. And if you finish the course you're doing now, you won't have wasted the four years, and you'll most likely optimize your career opportunities. Two degrees, yes please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

You're still good. It's the people in my lectures aged 40 and over that are useless and definately too old for college.

• Advertisement

You haven't done any work in the science field yet. Definitely get your qualification in Science. Maybe try and get a job in that field and do some distance learning or some courses in Ireland. Your wages will cover the tuition AND not give you another load of debt.
    Languages might seen fun now but maybe you will feel the same about that degree in another 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You're only 21, christ. Relax man.

Advertisement