Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Spotted it last night when I came over the footbridge on the way to the Cork boards meetup. Looks a bit daft really, Electric mentioned it in a funny way, but I'd say their patience would wear out quickly and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

Dam, I pitched my tent amidst the capatilist in the Coal Quay

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

It's unfortunate but it seems to be reinforcing the image of swampy the dreadlocked ,guardian reading ,unemployed, professional protester.

It'll take johnny and janey average with a mortgage out on the streets for anyone to take notice. Remember the pensioners protesting in Dublin ? They were average oaps protesting.
    These lads are too easily ignored.The image given off is that this week its this protest next week it'll be something else.
    Which is a pity , because I think it's a cause worth supporting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

No matter where you go you'll always see a tent from Decathlon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

horgan_p wrote: »
    It's unfortunate but it seems to be reinforcing the image of swampy the dreadlocked ,guardian reading ,unemployed, professional protester.

That's exactly what I was thinking, most people don't have the time to take protesting to that level, even if they have something to protest about in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

lol,what a crowd of mis directed fools :D
    I nearly fell into one of those tents taking my usual short cut.

Democracy now how are ya.
    Enough people have to agree with you like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Savage!!!

Ye're jokin' me lads..Are you telling me you don't sit at home, or in the pub bitchin' and moanin' about the state of the country?..It' not much use complaining to your mates, and we all know how hard it is to get a bureaucrat to listen to what you have to say.
    It' only the professional protesters there because they're the only ones with the cop on to get off their holes and take on the system..we don't all have time to camp out, but we could at least take the time to join in the discussions and not just dismiss it as nonsense (or,"nobody else is so I won't either")...if the "normal" people stopped grinning while taking it up the ass we would all be better off.
    Doirtybirdy, you must have been quair pissed, 'cause the only short cut past those tents goes right in to the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Savage!!!

Ye're jokin' me lads..Are you telling me you don't sit at home, or in the pub bitchin' and moanin' about the state of the country?..It' not much use complaining to your mates, and we all know how hard it is to get a bureaucrat to listen to what you have to say.
    It' only the professional protesters there because they're the only ones with the cop on to get off their holes and take on the system..we don't all have time to camp out, but we could at least take the time to join in the discussions and not just dismiss it as nonsense (or,"nobody else is so I won't either")...if the "normal" people stopped grinning while taking it up the ass we would all be better off.
    Doirtybirdy, you must have been quair pissed, 'cause the only short cut past those tents goes right in to the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I imagine Electric are not happy, but I wouldn't be overly bothered becuase they seem to think they can take over the park whenever they like for open-air boozing.
    It's ironic that they are camped under the cenotaph to those who died in World War 1. Now that was a generation who had something to protest about. Pack up your tents and go do something constructive....but I realise that won't be a particularly popular viewpoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I walked past them at about 17.30 yesterday. I was trying to walk slowly to read their placards, see what they were standing for. But I just felt p'd off! I left Cork in the 80's due to the high unemployment in this country and worked overseas for eleven years. I worked hard, I saved, I came home to Cork and went through a few short bouts of unemployment between jobs - then I continued to save. I had the 10% deposit to buy my own home. I am lucky to have a job now - and most of my money goes into my home - improvements etc. So that's "my life" and it reflects a lot of people in this country who got off their backsides and worked hard to try and improve their lives. Yesterday I just thought are this lot really fighting a cause or just looking for handouts. I get really fed up of the people who know how to buck the system and take, take, take. When I was trying to save for a deposit, I sacrified nights out, boozing and clubs, I had to get my priorities right. Maybe there are a few genuine people in that group trying to improve the living standards of everyone and believe in a cause - but when I looked at them yesterday I didn't feel compassion - just annoyance. I'm sure I'll be shot down for expressing these views but they are just my views.

• Advertisement

I imagine Electric are not happy, but I wouldn't be overly bothered becuase they seem to think they can take over the park whenever they like for open-air boozing.............

Indeed, they should be ensuring their patrons never go on the green. If a wino does it 'tis illegal but some different story for someone drinking in electric who wanders over on the phone.
    Savage!!! wrote: »
    ...........Doirtybirdy, you must have been quair pissed, 'cause the only short cut past those tents goes right in to the river.

It's probably quicker to cut across the green where the tents are than to follow the path to the foot bridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

Judes wrote: »
    I walked past them at about 17.30 yesterday. I was trying to walk slowly to read their placards, see what they were standing for. But I just felt p'd off! I left Cork in the 80's due to the high unemployment in this country and worked overseas for eleven years. I worked hard, I saved, I came home to Cork and went through a few short bouts of unemployment between jobs - then I continued to save. I had the 10% deposit to buy my own home. I am lucky to have a job now - and most of my money goes into my home - improvements etc. So that's "my life" and it reflects a lot of people in this country who got off their backsides and worked hard to try and improve their lives. Yesterday I just thought are this lot really fighting a cause or just looking for handouts. I get really fed up of the people who know how to buck the system and take, take, take. When I was trying to save for a deposit, I sacrified nights out, boozing and clubs, I had to get my priorities right. Maybe there are a few genuine people in that group trying to improve the living standards of everyone and believe in a cause - but when I looked at them yesterday I didn't feel compassion - just annoyance. I'm sure I'll be shot down for expressing these views but they are just my views.

Perhaps you should concentrate your energy on attacking the greedy bankers and developers that have ruined this country for generations to come. Those occupy protesters never wrecked this country so give them a break. I commend them for their efforts.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Wortzon I concentrate my energy on trying to earn a living, paying bills, home improvements, community involvement, voluntary work to help others. I have attended quite a few protest marches over the past few years and have travelled to Dublin several times on my time off at weekends to do so. I don't focus my energies on kicking people when they are down - I try to be positive and do something about it.

Also, you can't blame "all" the bankers - just some very senior management, mortgage lenders, some property developers and some politicians. I have friends who are working in banks and I can assure you they are on an average wage and didn't cause the downfall of this country. Higher officials who approved the giving away of money/over development of properties etc. are the ones who need to be blamed. The problem we have in this country is no accountability - if we saw even a few of those who did the crime serve their time - it might help us all.

I know I will be crucified for what I'm about to say - but didn't we all go a bit mad during what some would call the good times. We all went wild with "plastic", cars, loans, holidays - it all had to be paid back at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hmm. It's seemed as if the 'occupiers' have restricted the word 'occupy' quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

one of there signs more or less says they cant afford food so how can they afford water. First off water charges have always been around and is only starting to be introduced into urban areas now ( :P )so stop complaining about it. Also ive been unemployed , but ive managed to get myself into a new job by actually going out there and looking for one.

Congrats TonyDude - you looked for a job - you found a job - you're doing a job! I read those placards yesterday re. the water charges - can't afford to eat and all I could think was - who's buying the round of drinks for them later on. And I wonder how many smoke - and what they're smoking - and what it costs. Oh well, that's the cynic in me. Everyone's to blame in some way - and I suppose everyone's innocent in other ways!?* ;)

I know I will be crucified for what I'm about to say - but didn't we all go a bit mad during what some would call the good times. We all went wild with "plastic", cars, loans, holidays - it all had to be paid back at some stage.

I have no issue paying for anything I borrowed myself, paying the universal social charge and seeing all of the cuts being made to pay back other folks/businesses debts I do have an issue with.

In saying that I don't intend camping next to Electric to make the point.

Oh dear! First off, I did not 'go mad'. Many people did not in fact. I don't own a car or house, nor use a credit card and have not been on a holiday in almost a decade. Why should I and many others pay for the idiotic excesses of others?
    The best thing Ireland can do now is default and tell the IMF/ECB to take a hike.
    Fair play to the occupiers. Keep it going.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I've driven past the campsite a few mornings now, and it looks like the usual bunch of mass unwashed crusties who just enjoy protesting. If it was young couples struggling with mortgages, or businessmen who have to close their companies down, I'd support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Smelly hippy social parasites. Go back to your middle class family and finish your King's Inn exams.

• Advertisement

Owen - that's how I felt too. J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I was down there at lunchtime and saw a bloke with a sign saying he was looking for change - so I gave him some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Worztron wrote: »
    The best thing Ireland can do now is default and tell the IMF/ECB to take a hike.
    Fair play to the occupiers. Keep it going.

Explain to me why a unilateral default would be the best thing we could do? Since you've obviously put so much thought into this I'd also like to spell out what the effect - both immediate and long term examples please at micro and macro level - of this action would be?

Explain to me why a unilateral default would be the best thing we could do? Since you've obviously put so much thought into this I'd also like to spell out what the effect - both immediate and long term examples please at micro and macro level - of this action would be?

We cannot pay back these debts. They are not ours. They are and will continue to cripple us for many many years to come. Why accept it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

We cannot pay back these debts. They are not ours. They are and will continue to cripple us for many many years to come. Why accept it?

For the millionth time. If we refuse to pay, how do we pay Gardai, Nurses, pave roads, etc, etc, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

For the millionth time. If we refuse to pay, how do we pay Gardai, Nurses, pave roads, etc, etc, etc, etc.

We don't. Simple as. Roads are already very well paid for and we hand over the 'control' of roads to a PRIVATE company who makes money in the FIRST instance and if not enough cars pay the toll, OUR government pay them COMPENSATION.

Let's crack a few coconuts shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I support the people down at OccupyCork.

Yes they're not exactly ground-breaking or actively changing the system, but at least they are willing to go out and voice their opinions and concerns in public.

I've seen a few people posting on this thread bitching and moaning about the state of the country, but it's all very well and good to simply sit at a computer and whine, how about you go out and try to make some difference.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I support the people down at OccupyCork

You realise we're paying for the dole for these idiots to have a bit of a laugh down there? You realise that the people down there aren't representative of people who have suffered at the hands of the banks? Yesterday driving home, there was a beardy hippy guy wearing sandals laughing and smiling holding a sign saying something like 'honk if you support us'. To the likes of him, it's just a bit of fun, like going to a festival. I doubt if he really wanted to protest or if the banking eurozone crisis had taken everything away that he had that he'd be laughing and having the time of his life.

These people at the campsite are clearly unwilling to work, their dole should be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How about answering my question? If you can that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I think the real heroes are the poor shmucks who haul themselves into work day after day, like it or not, and contribute their taxes for the good of others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement