Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Cork

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fair play :)

But, can you explain to me why exactly you dislike the protesters so much? Is it them personally, or do you just disagree with the idea of speaking out against the Government? If so, why?

I get that some of them are indeed layabouts and hippies, but most of them aren't, and you could see that yourself if you went down and gave them a chance.

I'm far from a crusty or a hippie, on general terms I can't stand them either.
    I am supporting Occupy Cork because it's a different way of getting the message out, and I equally support those people who are working the 9 to 5 jobs, pay their taxes, have a mortgage/rent and living a "normal" life.

I don't agree with the idea of a "Welfare Society" at all, I think people should work for what they earn, I was raised that way and know it's what best for society.

But no-one can honestly deny that our last few Governments have been hugely corrupt and have not made changes that were in the best interests of the country and it's citizens. They allowed the Banks to destroy the economy, and then bailed them out at the cost of the tax-payer, meanwhile the CEO's of those banks walked away with millions of euro's in their own accounts.

That is why I support people at Occupy Cork, and other methods of protesting (that are peaceful).

An argument like "Ah sure they're all hippes, crusties and dole monkeys" is hardly a valid debate point.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But, can you explain to me why exactly you dislike the protesters so much? Is it them personally, or do you just disagree with the idea of speaking out against the Government? If so, why?....................

But no-one can honestly deny that our last few Governments have been hugely corrupt and have not made changes that were in the best interests of the country and it's citizens. They allowed the Banks to destroy the economy, and then bailed them out at the cost of the tax-payer, meanwhile the CEO's of those banks walked away with millions of euro's in their own accounts.

Well I didn't really want to get all political about this but I don't think the current government are doing too much wrong, they inherited the situation from the FF folk who were/are/always will be a corrupt shower of dirty, rotten self serving f***tards.

The occupy Cork protest is mistimed, the time for it was when FF were in charge and when the mistakes were being made.

I do think that FG and labour know that Ireland's current deal is unfair and unjust to the country and us, the citizens, I honestly reckon that they are playing a waiting game to get a better deal. In saying that harsh cuts are being made, I wouldn't agree with all of them and I think cuts could be made elsewhere to hit other folk.

With Greece up sh1ts creek now is not the time to put the gun to the head of Europe (the time for that was possibly the time of the state guarantee), that tactic wouldn't be prudent now, no point being penny wise and pound foolish. A longterm view must be taken. Every tide turns, I do have real fears that FF may be voted back in come next election time, people have short memories, every cut being made and every penny of the universal social charge that we pay, every € taken from old folks heating allowance etc is due to the gross incompetence/negligence of the previous governments 14 year term and the lack of action by the financial regulator.

The Occupy Cork protest and similar ones throughout the country are taking the focus from that. Misinformed folk see the protest and draw conclusions from it about the current government.

That Micheal Martin muppet and his right hand man from Carrigaline are growing in stature by the day as the current government (trys to) sorts out their mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Funnily enough I had the exact same opinion as you. In fact the only reason I went on the first day was to see for myself, first hand and in the crowd, exactly what they wanted and my daughter wanted a look at it too. Though I will admit to being disappointed in Labour, especially after personally meeting Kathleen Lynch and helping with the election campaign here in Cork.

My opinion was changed when I spoke to one of the "leaders" of the event, who said the same thing but also pointed out that the current protest would serve as a potential "warning" to the current Government that the people of Ireland are starting to (finally) get sick of just waiting around for the Dail to step up and fix the mistakes of the past, and show them we aren't willing to allow more corruption to continue in the future.

There is a sense of the whole thing being disorganised, not just in Ireland, but worldwide too and I will admit that. But that's always been common throughout history in protests. But as the weeks have gone on we've seen more organization grow within the various groups, and more focus towards a single goal. In this case it's growing more directly aimed at how easily the Banks get away with various mistakes and corruption.

All I ask, of any person reading this thread. Is that you give them a chance to have their say, please don't judge them based on purely physical appearance. Judge them on their opinions and the steps they are taking to try and get a positive change in the country.

If it does just descend into a bunch of drunks, lounging around with no pointed goal, then even I will step back and have no part.
    But for now, they are peacefully protesting in the best way they can at this time, and that's why we can all at least show some support for them, even if you don't want to go join them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Closing this.

Take the bickering to pm.

For those who wise these kind of topics to be discussed report the post and do not react to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement