Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud humming noise from my television

• 16-10-2011 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

When I plug in either the UPC digital set top box,the flat screen TV develops a loud humming noise from the speakers.Its rather annoying.:(

But when I diss-connect the set top box,and watch the TV on the standard cable (standard 18 channels),theres no humming noise at all.

Why is the TV giving off a loud humming noise when I plug in the set top box and scart lead??

And ideas??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

have you tried another scart lead paddy?
    just throw it in temporary to test it
    make sure its pushed in firmly both ends
    try a different input on your tv
    also try the cable on a different tv to eliminate that(though i vaguely remember a thread about fitting a tv over fireplace so not sure this is possible in your case)
    is there no hdmi connection?(better quality)
    know you like to use your camera so any chance of a pic?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I get this when I use my Lydl box. The way I cure it is to use the tv remote to lower the sound, then raise the sound using the Lydl remot to get rid of the hum. Dont know how, but it works for me.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    have you tried another scart lead paddy?
    just throw it in temporary to test it
    make sure its pushed in firmly both ends
    try a different input on your tv
    also try the cable on a different tv to eliminate that(though i vaguely remember a thread about fitting a tv over fireplace so not sure this is possible in your case)
    is there no hdmi connection?(better quality)
    know you like to use your camera so any chance of a pic?;)

Tv is an LG 42 inch.Plenty of HDMI connections on the TV but none on the UPC box though.:(

Who said pics?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

mlumley wrote: »
    I get this when I use my Lydl box. The way I cure it is to use the tv remote to lower the sound, then raise the sound using the Lydl remot to get rid of the hum. Dont know how, but it works for me.:)

Sound advice :D

Paddy check out the HD box from UPC, only an extra fiver a month it has much better pic quality even on the non HD channels due to the hdmi connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

have come across this before and im betting on the scart lead

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I,ll dig out a scart lead from elsewhere and give that a try so.

Trying to watch the Moto GP races from Philip Island on Eurosport at the moment,and the backround humming noise is wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

We have the same problem but it is still there when tv switched off. I'm putting it down to the hard drive in the upc box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

mlumley wrote: »

That's exactly what I have to do with my Ferguson Arivia 120 box. Glad to hear others are having the same problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the drive on some of the UPC boxes is loud, you could consider ringing UPC and negotiating a better deal for yourself with a better box, that's a very old box you have there TBH.

Advertisement