Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyce: Portrait - A Feminist Critism

Options
  • 16-10-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a good feminist critism of Joyce's portrait.
    I have found several, including one very good one dealing with Davin's encounters in the Ballyhoura Hills.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

eldwaro wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking for a good feminist critism of Joyce's portrait.
    I have found several, including one very good one dealing with Davin's encounters in the Ballyhoura Hills.

Any other suggestions?

how is this related to ul?

Any chance of a link to the portrait?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

Any chance of a link to the portrait?

They're referring to Joyce's book "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man".

OP: Well firstly, I would recommend you go and do actual research, that's always better than copying off a web forum, you'll understand the theory better, you'll learn some critical analysis and you'll also pick up ideas and concepts that will enable you to do better in future assignments as well as real life.

If you're interested in feminism, perhaps get some actual feminist theory and do some criticism yourself?

however, in true UL spirit, no doubt you'll respond with something that re-enforces my belief that no one actually cares about their courses and just wants to do enough to pass so:

The antimodernism of Joyce's Portrait of the artist as a young man By Weldon Thornton

http://www.pulli.com/lynnette/ucdthesis/critical_analysis.html

Sheldon Brivic. Psychoanalytic perspective The Disjuncture Structure of Joyce’s Portrait

Henke Suzette. A Feminist Perspective. Stephen Dedalus and Women: A feminist Reading of Portrait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

cheers...

i've done literary theory before. we were just caught on the hop with very little literature on the topic and given a set of very strange instructions on how to carry it out.

was simply hoping for a kind soul like yourself to assist...much appreciated :)

Advertisement