Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air gun licence

Options
  • 16-10-2011 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have a criminal record for an assult about 7 -8 years ago and one for growing my own weed for medical purposes about 5 years ago but im now wanting to get a licence for an air rifle to shoot some rabbits.

Would it be worth my while to apply for one or would i be wasting my time because of these offence's.

Ive been told conflicting things about the licence as one is saying after 5 years then your ok but the other said any record for assult or drugs then youve not a hope in hell to get a licence for a gun.

Can anyone on here give me any info on the matter, have they heard of cases where guys with records gained a licence for an air rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi.

I don't think anybody here can really answer your question. I think the best thing you can do is either go and apply for your licence and see what happens or else go and talk to your local firearm officer and make your case for why you should be allowed to have a firearm.

The fact that it is an airgun doesn't make it any easier to get a licence either. They will treat the airgun the very same as a pistol, etc.

Some guys with criminal records have gotten firearm certs in the past but it is very much at the discretion of the Superintendent making the decision.

I'd go and talk to the firearm officer and see what he says.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The only person that can answer that question for ya is the Super in your local garda station.

You will get conflicting stories of "yes you can", "no you can't", "i don't know", "maybe". Truth is no-one on this site or anywhere else can speak for the Super.

My advice would be to make an appointment and go see the Super. Tell him you are interested in getting an air rifle. Speak to man and don't bullsh1t him with answers you think he wants. Tell the truth, and then apply. Remember that you are entitled to apply, but not to get the license. However applying on the blind with your record, and without conveying your side of things and showing how you've changed could be pointless.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mrxireland wrote: »
    Ive been told conflicting things about the licence as one is saying after 5 years then your ok but the other said any record for assult or drugs then youve not a hope in hell to get a licence for a gun
    It's likely to be both.
    The official rule is that you may not apply if your custodial sentence ended less than five years ago (and there's a list of the convictions that applies to in section 8(1)(d) of the Act). However, that's for those who may not apply; it doesn't mean that if you're six years after a non-custodial sentence that you are automatically going to be approved for a licence. That judgement call is purely down to your local Superintendent. And to be blunt, a conviction for criminal assault and one for drugs is very likely to result in the Superintendent deciding to refuse the application and without extenuating circumstances, it's quite likely that a district court appeal wouldn't be successful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

I have a criminal record for an assult about 7 -8 years ago and one for growing my own weed for medical purposes about 5 years ago but im now wanting to get a licence for an air rifle to shoot some rabbits.

Would it be worth my while to apply for one or would i be wasting my time because of these offence's.

Ive been told conflicting things about the licence as one is saying after 5 years then your ok but the other said any record for assult or drugs then youve not a hope in hell to get a licence for a gun.

Can anyone on here give me any info on the matter, have they heard of cases where guys with records gained a licence for an air rifle.

No harm in applying it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

and one for growing my own weed for medical purposes

I would suggest not wording things this way if you go for a chat with the super, what you did is illegal and if your still disputing it it may not go in your favour. just my opinion

• Advertisement

He said he already has two convictions. One for assault, one for growing weed. Irrespective of how he words it the Super will have access to this info, so as i said above;
    Speak to man and don't bullsh1t him with answers you think he wants. Tell the truth,...............

I know you are not condoning lying or anything, but whether you "stretch" the truth or not the Super can simply find out anything he wants about the OP with a couple of calls.

Do not give half stories or half truths. Tell him everything so there can be no surprises or reasons for the Super to ask you "why did you not mention (so and so) when we spoke?".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Agree with the above, if you try to justify previous you'll get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Ezridax wrote: »
    Irrespective of how he words it the Super will have access to this info.

All i'm saying is if your trying to convince the super that 5 years later your a changed and responsible person, placing the words "for medical purpose" at the end may give off the idea that you still think you were wrongfully convicted.

Better off saying you were foolish in your younger years but have let all that go.

Plus medical issues opens up other questions on the Licence form

I think we are disagreeing while agreeing. :D

As you said keep your answer short, and to the point. As i said be truthful.

Advertisement