Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens and alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

was allowed to drink at home - never did develop a taste for wine but otherwise ok. went through the mad drunk stage once at my 16th birthday - mum said fine as long as it's in the house and not outside. mostly gave up drinking by the time i was 17. rarely drink now and not more than one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

mattjack wrote: »
    A glass of wine or beer is a drug.What your teen is doing is experimenting with your permission,would you allow them to use cannabis or have sex with a b/f or g/f in your home.
    I wonder are the people who allow their teens drink at home, in a controlled envioronment are hoping that this way of introduction to alcohol may stop them drinking illicitly.

Quick question for ya??

My son will be 18 next May, when do you think I as his parent should allow him to take a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I dont need to drink at all, in fact i rarely drink even when out, ive never acquired a taste for it, i dont drink to relax, but i like to have a tia maria and milk now and then or a west coast cooler because i get sick of oj and diet coke. A glass of wine would have me awake all night.

I dont mind my 12 year old having a glass of something if we having it in the house (which is very rarely) Its not about relaxing with a drink, I can relax having a cup of tea or coffee (infact i was at a coffee moring this morning and my 12 year old had 3 cups of coffee). I let my daughter have a glass so she knows what a drink tastes like and she wont go looking for a taste eleswhere, she likes west coast cooler, tia maria and milk and baileys.... If she like the taste of something and we have it ion our house or a freinds house she is allowed a glass, no big deal, 1 glass does not do any harm...

I dont get the whole idea of having to drink alcohol to relax...... no wonder there are so many alcoholics, all drinking to relax......

My husband wasnt allowed alcohol yet he went home plastered after knacker drinking and spewed all over his mom, wasnt until he met me that he calmed down (as im not a drinker) his friends however are all still big drinkers and its 14 years later and they are all in their 30s. Some of his freinds even have bars in their houses.... They keep a supply of diet coke for me :D

I,ve a 12 year old and I couldn't imagine allowing him drink at that age,you do realise your daughter isn't physically or emotionally fully grown ,yet you allow her consume a drug.There are theories going around that suggest people may be possibly be predisposed to dependencies either from a hereditory or a cultural standpoint .

I,ve a 12 year old and I couldn't imagine allowing him drink at that age,you do realise your daughter isn't physically or emotionally fully grown ,yet you allow her consume a drug.There are theories going around that suggest people may be possibly be predisposed to dependencies either from a hereditory or a cultural standpoint .

I can't highlight as I'm posting from my phone but if I could I would highlight the word *theories* as well as *suggest* and *possibly* in the above post!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes- she is diabetic, getting drunk could put her into a coma or kill her, knowing it isn't forbidden and she can have a glass here and there, will keep her from sneaking out and getting plastered.

I am aghast that you would give your 12 year old diabetic child alcohol.

• Advertisement

I can't highlight as I'm posting from my phone but if I could I would highlight the word *theories* in the above post!!!:)

Yes theories.

Tbh I'm not prepared to test those theories.

I can't highlight as I'm posting from my phone but if I could I would highlight the word *theories* in the above post!!!:)

THEORIES there ya go

Quick question for ya??

My son will be 18 next May, when do you think I as his parent should allow him to take a drink?

IMO, 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Fittle wrote: »
    And you still allow this 12 year alcohol hoping that it will put her off going a bender when she's older???? What about what could happen to her while she's 12 and drinking alcohol:eek:

It's one glass less than once every 2 months no big deal. It will not kill her, it will not put her in a coma, it's very much legal.....

A glass of wine or beer is a drug.What your teen is doing is experimenting with your permission,would you allow them to use cannabis or have sex with a b/f or g/f in your home.
    I wonder are the people who allow their teens drink at home, in a controlled envioronment are hoping that this way of introduction to alcohol may stop them drinking illicitly.

One glass will not get them pregnant or an std. One glass will also not give them a heart attack or make them high or drunk....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm French and I grew up (as you probably know :)) in an environment where it's ok to give your child a drop of red wine diluted in water if they ask for it. Then when we grew a bit bigger (teens) we could ask for a little glass of wine when there was a special meal. We never did, by then the novelty of tasting the wine had worn out, and we didn't appreciate the taste. Then in later teens (from 16 on I suppose), if we did re-taste and find that it was ok, or maybe tried a beer from Daddy's (with his permission), it was no big deal.

I did experiment the "really drunk" stage with heavier spirits at around 18 or 19, never became a problem though, just trying it out.

I have been living here 15 years, and yes, I think the taboo around drink is in great part responsible for the binge and very early drinking. And so I will offer my kids a taste of wine if they ask, and the odd time when they're older a glass will be no big deal, and when they're a bit older again, they can have a bottle of beer with us at a barbecue without fuss.

One thing I will NOT do however, is model bad behaviour, and I think this is the second biggest reason for young kids binging over here : grown ups going out for a night "on the tear", Mums having wine with other Mums of a week night, and the kids getting that message that it's so great and pleasurable to drink in excess.

PS : and also ahem... my Mum got me on the pill (like most mums of French teenagers) from the age of 16 (it's probably 2 years sooner nowadays), and it was ok to bring boyfriends home even for the night from 17/18. The rare times that happened needless to say hem... nothing happened :) Several of my friends were having their boyfriends overnight at home from 16. Some were already living alone in bedsits for that matter. None of them got pregnant in the time I knew them (until college), and and other than a few joints and a few merry nights, there were no orgies or knocked unconscious drinking.

Do you realise she injects herself with a substance that given in the wrong does would kill her, insulin is much more dangerous than one glass of west coast cooler ever 2 months or so. You think she's not responsible yet she takes over 80 units of insulin a day, she's responsible to take that, perhaps your 12 year old is not trustworthy, but mine is...... By the way 5 units of insulin could put you in a coma...... Insulin is a drug..... Also it's not illegal for her to have a glass with my consent in my home or in her aunts home....

I can't highlight as I'm posting from my phone but if I could I would highlight the word *theories* as well as *suggest* and *possibly* in the above post!!!:)

And I would "suggest" you have a look at some of the "theories" particularly those that approach alcohol predisposition from a biological/medical model point of view :).

amdublin wrote: »
    IMO, 18.

I thought so:D

One glass will not get them pregnant or an std. One glass will also not give them a heart attack or make them high or drunk....

stating the obvious there.

IMO, 18.

Age 17 362 days isn't able to Handle it yet age 18 and 1 hour can :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

18 is a bit arbitrary

Do you realise she injects herself with a substance that given in the wrong does would kill her, insulin is much more dangerous than one glass of west coast cooler ever 2 months or so. You think she's not responsible yet she takes over 80 units of insulin a day, she's responsible to take that, perhaps your 12 year old is not trustworthy, but mine is...... By the way 5 units of insulin could put you in a coma...... Insulin is a drug..... Also it's not illegal for her to have a glass with my consent in my home or in her aunts home....

no,I know absolutely nothing about insulin and diabetes,I never said it was illeagal in your home ,

stating the obvious there.

One glass every 2 months or so will not give them liver disease or make their kidneys fail or kill their brain cells.

Age 17 362 days isn't able to Handle it yet age 18 and 1 hour can :confused:

And in your opinion a twelve year old child can :confused:

:(

• Advertisement

One glass every 2 months or so will not give them liver disease or make their kidneys fail or kill their brain cells.

Ok...

And in your opinion a twelve year old child can :confused:

:(

Well she ain't getting plastered that's what most 18 year olds do, it's one glass, how many over 12s have got plastered on one glass? Taking into account she is 5 foot 2 and 7 stone, and also taking into account that she is now classed as an adult when taking perscription drugs and over the counter medicines.

Does your daughter get regular medical check ups ?blood tests etc ?

Does your daughter get regular medical check ups ?blood tests etc ?[/
    Edited as I'm old enough not to get drawn into silly bantering!!!

Every 2-3 months full bloods. She had liver function test, kidney function test, hba1c, coeliac, thyroid, cholesterol,

Blood sugars 5-7 times a day
    Appointments at the hospital every 3 months.

Everything in perfect working order. Minus the pancreas due to diabetes melitus diagnosed age 7.

None of your business tbh:mad:

I just posted before that I know nothing about diabetes or insulin ,I asked out of curiosity with no hidden agenda..

Every 2-3 months full bloods. She had liver function test, kidney function test, hba1c, coeliac, thyroid, cholesterol,

Everything in perfect working order. Minus the pancreas due to diabetes melitus diagnosed age 7.

thanks...tha'ts good news.

Bet you any money it won't be mine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

My daughter is 12 and diabetic, and no way would I let her have alcohol :eek:

(even if she wasn't diabetic I wouldn't!!!)

My oldest daughter is 16 and she drinks (not much) when she's out with her friends - having said that 16 is the legal age here, I have allowed her have a glass of sparkling wine in the house on New Year's Eve 20 day before her 16th birthday, she probably had tasted alcohol before that while out with friends, but has never been drunk (at least not when she came home, I can't vouch for what happened when she stayed in her friend's houses, but her friends' parents are quite reliable so I doubt that has happened)

We taught her to be responsible and can only hope she stays that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

In my own experience, when I was younger, the lads who's parents would drink more were those who drank heavily from a young age, as their parents were more accepting of it. I really don't see the benefit of the "I'm going to introduce my teen to drink at home so it's a safe environment and I can control it" approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement