Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens and alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Fittle wrote: »
    And where does it say that a 12 year old SHOULD be sampling alcohol? I must have missed that bit in the parenting manual...

Where does it say they can't.... It says with parents permission they can....

amdublin wrote: »
    This article refers to men, women and teenagers NOT diabetic children and alcohol :confused:

It under teens heading, also posted one above... We're talking about 1 unit ever other month or so, not 1 unit a night.... FFs we used to drink cans of shandy at 5..... Kids can still drink shandy...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes this article makes references to 12 - 18 year old diabetics alright. And then when it comes to the alcohol section it refers to teenagers only.
    It under teens heading, also posted one above... .

Your daughter who you're giving alcohol is NOT a teenager.

From the article you quoted:
    Alcohol & drugs
    "It’s not unusual for teenagers today to be offered alcohol or drugs, and to have to decide whether they will try it. Teens with diabetes have to think about these decisions extra carefully because diabetes and alcohol or other drugs are not the best mix for their health"

No where in this literature can I see the advise you give twelve year old diabetics alcohol. According to this alcohol "diabetes and alcohol...are not the best mix for their health"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Cans of Shandy at 5:confused: Where did you grow up!!!!

• Advertisement

Yes this article makes references to 12 - 18 year old diabetics alright. And then when it comes to the alcohol section it refers to teenagers only.

Alcohol & drugs
    "It’s not unusual for teenagers today to be offered alcohol or drugs, and to have to decide whether they will try it. Teens with diabetes have to think about these decisions extra carefully because diabetes and alcohol or other drugs are not the best mix for their health"

No where in this literature can I see the advise you give twelve year old diabetics alcohol. According to this alcohol "diabetes and alcohol...are not the best mix for their health"

The article is aimed at 12- 18 year olds they just used the term teen to account for everyone in that age bracket instead of saying teens and 12 year old, also it says alcohol and drugs not just alcohol and diabetes.

Ideas for talking about alcohol and drug use with your teen
    As a general rule, it’s better to teach teens with diabetes about safe alcohol use rather than forbid it. You can’t assume that your teen won’t try a drink at some point. 

Here are a few tips that your teen should know about to drink safely and responsibly:

Wear a MedicAlert bracelet. If anything does happen, the medical information is available.
    Too much alcohol use is very risky – drink in moderation.
    Choose light beer and dilute white wine with club soda. Liqueurs, fruit drinks, and drinks mixed with regular soft drinks have more calories and more sugar.
    Never drink on an empty stomach. Eat when drinking.
    Drink slowly and don’t have more than 2 drinks. Have water or diet pop instead.
    Test blood glucose before, during, and after drinking.
    Stick with a friend who knows about the diabetes and can recognize a low blood glucose reaction.

Fittle wrote: »
    Cans of Shandy at 5:confused: Where did you grow up!!!!

Uk, and we would buy them ourselves from the local corner shop, very very legal even though they contained alcohol...... Pretty normal in the uk for a child to drink a can of shandy...

Alcohol & drugs

It goes up to 21 year olds you don't see it saying teens and20 year olds and 21 year olds, I take it to mean all age groups from 12 to 21. Also taking into account she is taller than 25% of fully grown female adults. And can take adult amounts of over the counter drugs that contain codeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

Alcohol is a drug. It is addictive. We made it legal here in Ireland alongside cigarettes so should we also allow our kids to smoke or try a smoke at 12 or 13, you know to get a taste for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Speaking from my own personal experiences of cigarettes and alcohol, I'm 37 and managed quite easily not to consume alcohol during my 4 pregnancies but cannot say the same for cigarettes:(

• Advertisement

Alcohol is a drug. It is addictive. We made it legal here in Ireland alongside cigarettes so should we also allow our kids to smoke or try a smoke at 12 or 13, you know to get a taste for it?

Also, for what it's worth I don't allow my 17 year old have a drink to "get a taste for it"....... I allow it so that he doesn't have to go mad when he does go out with mates and consume alcohol:)

Also, for what it's worth I don't allow my 17 year old have a drink to "get a taste for it"....... I allow it so that he doesn't have to go mad when he does go out with mates and consume alcohol:)

And that is going to stop him how :confused:

Kids are going to do what they're going to do I.e. Drink.

By you giving them drink / allowing them drink you are doubling the amount they are going to consume.

Peoples!! STOP DELUDING YOURSELF that because you allow your child drink in front of you this stops them doing (and doing it to excess) with their friends. It doesn't. They end up doing both. You are only increasing the amount of alcohol they are drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Grindelwald it's clear you have an issue with alcohol yourself.

a lot of people project their own problems with alcohol onto others, and try and make themselves feel good about their drinking by roping others into it.

for example you've made out those of us who won't give our young children alcohol to be the bad guys, and you yourself are ''the sound lad who is only being nice to his kids who are gonna drink anyway so he might as well buy it for them and let them join in with his drinking''

you remind me of the guy in the pub who get's annoyed when there's a non-drinker there, and how the non drinker must be the one with the problem. ''what's wrong with you why aren't you drinking?''

''what's wrong with you, why won't you let your twelve year old kid drink?''

it's disgusting.

alcohol is a drug my friend, just cause it's legal doesn't mean it's better for your body than any other illicit substance.

I genuinely implore you to take a look at your drinking habits, and the manner in which you are parenting your children.

This alcoholic like culture is prevalent throughout Ireland and the consequences are horrific, it needs to be broken and it won't ever be with parents like you sticking IVs full of C2H5O5 into their babbas as soon as they can crawl.

@horsemeat.......

That really was not a nice thing to say to Grindelwald:(

That's all I have to say really......

By you giving them drink / allowing them drink you are doubling the amount they are going to consume.

Peoples!! STOP DELUDING YOURSELF that because you allow your child drink in front of you this stops them doing (and doing it to excess) with their friends. It doesn't. They end up doing both. You are only increasing the amount of alcohol they are drinking.
    I don't think I ever said it would mean he would never drink with his mates!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Not me!!

This is your opinion and other parents have different ones that does not mean you are right all the time!!!

We all parent in differnet ways, obviously your kids wont touch drink til they are 18!!! but behind your back they will.

I'd rather my son be unfront with me and not have to go sneeking around.

Justask wrote: »

I'd rather my son be unfront with me and not have to go sneeking around.

Yes we'd all rather that, obviously.

But what is actually going to happen is:
    He'll drink in front of you AND sneak around and drink behind your back.

Please don't be naive to think otherwise.

I don't think I ever said it would mean he would never drink with his mates!!!:confused:

Apologies. You said it means he won't go mad with his mates.

Why would he NOT go mad??? After all "he's allowed drink". His mam "gives him drink"

(Quotations indicate the type of things he will say to his friends as he drinks)

Yes we'd all rather that, obviously.

But what is actually going to happen is:
    He'll drink in front of you AND sneak around and drink behind your back.

Please don't be naive to think otherwise.

Ok course he will. but he wont have an unhealthy view on it! Im not naive and your views on this and the way you are coming across are very patronising. We all have opnions and entiled to them!
    As I said we all parent in diffrents ways. There is no wrong or right answer to this

He is sat here beside me now and so for the sake of clarity and in order to be able to answer your Question I've asked him what difference has it made to him being allowed to have a drink if he chooses at home.....

His response was that he doesn't have to get as much drink into himself on a night out because he doesn't know when he'd get the chance to get out again.
    Because he knows he can go out for a few with his mates every couple of weeks he doesn't feel the need to go overboard---His words not mine!!

Works for me and I'm chilled and can relax of sorts when he goes out:)

• Advertisement

horsemeat wrote: »

a lot of people project their own problems with alcohol onto others, and try and make themselves feel good about their drinking by roping others into it.

Totally out of order :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Just report the post for the mods to get to.

Hippy I have a teen and a pre teen and don't see the point in trying to close the door after the horse had bolted. I've raised them to know tea and coffee are drugs, never mind 'drink' and I would rather them be able to say that they don't want to taste/try drink as they have already and don't like it. They don't see either of thier parents getting drunk they do see us having a beer or a glass of wine with food at the weekend.

Fostering a good attitude in regard to alcohol is something which we think needs to be done as there are plenty of ads out there and there will plenty of peer pressure.

Sharrow wrote: »

Hippy I have a teen and a pre teen and don't see the point in trying to close the door after the horse had bolted. I've raised them to know tea and coffee are drugs, never mind 'drink' and I would rather them be able to say that they don't want to taste/try drink as they have already and don't like it. They don't see either of thier parents getting drunk they do see us having a beer or a glass of wine with food at the weekend.

Fostering a good attitude in regard to alcohol is something which we think needs to be done as there are plenty of ads out there and there will plenty of peer pressure.

As i said in a post I was not allowed tea or coffee when I was a child now I have a very unhealthy relationship with it. If you forbid a child/teen something its more attrative and they want to know why and will want it more

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Uk, and we would buy them ourselves from the local corner shop, very very legal even though they contained alcohol...... Pretty normal in the uk for a child to drink a can of shandy...

Was it club shandy?
    We used to get it here in gold cans.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Was it club shandy?
    We used to get it here in gold cans.

Was that not Rockshandy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

for example you've made out those of us who won't give our young children alcohol to be the bad guys, and you yourself are ''the sound lad who is only being nice to his kids who are gonna drink anyway so he might as well buy it for them and let them join in with his drinking''

you remind me of the guy in the pub who get's annoyed when there's a non-drinker there, and how the non drinker must be the one with the problem. ''what's wrong with you why aren't you drinking?''

''what's wrong with you, why won't you let your twelve year old kid drink?''

it's disgusting.

alcohol is a drug my friend, just cause it's legal doesn't mean it's better for your body than any other illicit substance.

I genuinely implore you to take a look at your drinking habits, and the manner in which you are parenting your children.

This alcoholic like culture is prevalent throughout Ireland and the consequences are horrific, it needs to be broken and it won't ever be with parents like you sticking IVs full of C2H5O5 into their babbas as soon as they can crawl.

*mod warning*
    Please do not make assumptions and jump to conclusions about other posters on this thread. What you write here is your opinion (unless you are a professional on the subject.)and others are also entitled to theirs.
    Please keep it friendly and civil.

Any more posts like this will get you an infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

As i said in a post I was not allowed tea or coffee when I was a child now I have a very unhealthy relationship with it. If you forbid a child/teen something its more attrative and they want to know why and will want it more

I do tell them why, I have explicitly explained to them about tannin and caffeine and the effect is has on a person the same as any other drug,and the same about what white refined sugar does to a person's system.
    The 13 has taken to fact checking some of this recently esp what a can of coke can do to his biometrics.

Was that not Rockshandy?

Nope.
    We also had club shandy in gold and bronze cans.

I do tell them why, I have explicitly explained to them about tannin and caffeine and the effect is has on a person the same as any other drug,and the same about what white refined sugar does to a person's system.
    The 13 has taken to fact checking some of this recently esp what a can of coke can do to his biometrics.

I was agreeing with you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

you people need your heads checked out.
    you need your head examined.

The next outburst from you will earn you a break from this forum. If you have a problem with alcohol in general take it elsewhere. No more personal abuse will be tolerated.

What she said :)

The only way to be sure we mods can respond to a post like that is for you to report it. Don't assume someone else has reported it and don't react to it yourself. Please report posts that you feel are out of order and let us deal with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement