Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Citizenship

Options
  • 16-10-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭

My granduncle is a U.S. Citizen,could myself,my mum (her uncle) or my grandmother (her brother-in-law) claim citizenship?
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No- the only people not born in the USA who can claim citizenship are the kids of US citizens (and there are some conditions on that).

Do I understand it right that your grandmother is the US Citizen's sister-in-law, and that is the closest family connection? If so, for you to get to the USA via this connection would be:
    1. US citizen petitions for grandma's husband, ie his brother (if husband dead, cannot do this) and grandma goes with. 11 year wait.
    2. Grandma becomes a US citizen- 5 years
    3. Grandma petitions for mum- 10 years
    4. Mum petitions for you immediately. You must remain unmarried- 8 years
    For a total of 34 years until you get a greencard, longer if you are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

silja wrote: »
    No- the only people not born in the USA who can claim citizenship are the kids of US citizens (and there are some conditions on that).

Do I understand it right that your grandmother is the US Citizen's sister-in-law, and that is the closest family connection? If so, for you to get to the USA via this connection would be:
    1. US citizen petitions for grandma's husband, ie his brother (if husband dead, cannot do this) and grandma goes with. 11 year wait.
    2. Grandma becomes a US citizen- 5 years
    3. Grandma petitions for mum- 10 years
    4. Mum petitions for you immediately. You must remain unmarried- 8 years
    For a total of 34 years until you get a greencard, longer if you are married.
    I don't think that would work,crossing fingers for the DV lottery though!
    Thanks silja.

Advertisement