Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sleeping on his tummy

Options
  • 16-10-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, i know they say in the hospital babies should sleep on their back ,but up untill what age is this reccomended? At night my 4month old sleeps on his back but for at least one or two of his naps he is on his front. He seems to really like it and have a very peaceful sleep in this position. I would always be watching him when he is like this, so is it ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I found with both my kids they were better sleeping on their tummies. They both still do now (5 & 3).

I think he was able to get onto his tummy by himself, he is fine sleeping on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JmeSomers

My daughter is 5 months old and when she was only 6 wks we started sleeping her on her tummy. She had reflux very bad and if you left her on her back she was spitting up all through the night and her baby gro would be soaked by morning. She would also wake in a fit of not being able to breathe so we chanced it.
    Now mind that we have one of those breathing mats that monitors if the baby is breathing or not. So we both have peace of mind at night. You need to look at it that in the 80's it was recommended that ALL babies be put to sleep on their tummys. There is a higher risk of SIDS because it puts the babies into a deeper and more restful sleep and with cot bumpers, quilts, etc. Babies were being smoothered and not waking in their sleep.
    I think doctors are right to not recommend it. But I also think that a lot of babies are different. I told my GP about it and was ready to be scolded, but she said that if the baby is sleeping better and is closely monitored that it is ok. Babies need restful sleep as well, it's just as important as eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

JmeSomers wrote: »
    You need to look at it that in the 80's it was recommended that ALL babies be put to sleep on their tummys. There is a higher risk of SIDS because it puts the babies into a deeper and more restful sleep and with cot bumpers, quilts, etc. Babies were being smoothered and not waking in their sleep.

Interestingly enough I am a baby of the 60's . Apparently I used to sleep on my tummy ( still do :-) ) . My mother used to leave me outside shops etc , which is a sign of the times I suppose , and says she often came back to find a do gooder turning me over and telling my mother off . So maybe this has been around longer than the 80s , although I agree that was when the cot death thing came to the fore.

OP , as long as the baby is happy and you are monitoring her , I don't see the harm , but I am not an expert .

Advertisement