Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help needed.

• 16-10-2011 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

OK. So recently my cat had kittens. They're about 4-5 weeks old. When will the mother ween them?
    The other day when feeding the Older cats, some food dropped on the floor and the kittens went crazy trying to get it.
    I work full time so Im only in the house a nights so I havent seen them being fed milk lately.
    I bought them some wet whiskas pouches until they can chew the dry food.

So question 1 is; when will they be properly weened, if not already?

Question 2; has anybody here fed their cats the aldi cat food ''supercat''? And if so, how do your cats find it? I bought it because i am short of money to buy the brand named food. Havent given them any yet because I still have some Go-Cat left.

Thanks, guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

not a expert but from seen a friends cat and kittens i would say now is the ideal time for weaning.i have 3 cats but all spayed they have never had kittens. i would try and feed a kitten food as id say adult food wouldnt have the right vitimins etc. my mate, fed them on dry royal canin weaning food and they loved it. the nuts are tiny, tiny so no problem there. was just asking her a minute ago and she said that its not that expensive plus there is no waste, if they dont eat it all it can be used again. plus if its like the dog food there poos will be firmer and less smelly which is a plus if there indoors using a litter tray.

not sure about the aldi cat food as never used it but i would say that its prob no worst than the Go-cat, in my opinion you get what you pay for. my 3 adult cats will only eat the royal canin food, dont get me wrong i wish sometimes they would eat supermarket food but they wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The Royal Canin babycat is great stuff, its not really expensive and the eat less of it, its great quality food. As said no stink in litter and less pooping. I have weaned kittens on this before and by far the best I have tried, don't bother with kitten milk etc, mum will keep feeding for up to 10 weeks, but you might not see it.
    Try to keep them until 10 weeks, at least 8 if you can't keep them longer. Are you worming them? they should be done every 2 weeks until 12 weeks. Theres a liquid that works out cheap called Parazole, you have to weigh kittens and mix the correct dosage into some food, try to do them all separately.

Also book the mother in for a spay asap, they can get pregnant again as soon as the kittens are weaned (even as early as 6 weeks from the birth), If you can keep her inside until the kittens are gone and get her done then.
    Most vets will let you pay weekly, ask now and start making payments towards the spay if you're short on cash.

Advertisement