Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killers snakes,spiders and all things Aus

Options
  • 16-10-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Just thought a throw out a question. Whilst working either for your 2nd visa or normal day to day outings, have you come across Aus deadliest or worse been bite ? Friend of mind is working on a farm and he was telling me some stories of snake bites and spiders :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Come across Brown snakes all the time up Darwin. Once u use ur head and dont go trying to poke the thing ul be grand. They have no intrest in attacking u unless provoked.

Im more scared of Sand flies, mozzys and bed bugs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Come across Brown snakes all the time up Darwin. Once u use ur head and dont go trying to poke the thing ul be grand. They have no intrest in attacking u unless provoked.

Im more scared of Sand flies, mozzys and bed bugs to be honest.

bed bugz:eek: what bed bugz:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ul know them when u get a hostel infested with them. I got hammered by the in Elks back psckers in Darwin

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Yeah i came across a few brown snakes up in Ayr (near bowen/townsville etc).. Loadsa huntsmen too, they're ugly bastards! Haven't really come across to many 'killer spiders' though....laodsa toads!

Man bed bugs are by far my most hated 'insect'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

The whole thing is overblown, more people die every year from bee stings than spider/snake bites combined.

The most dangerous creatures I've come across are p1ssed Collingwood fans, or to give them their latin name feralus boganas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Drop bears are also savage
    http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
    They are essentially wild Koalas who drop from trees and attack people

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's loads everywhere, even close to main cities if you are working in areas with decent levels of vegetation.
    It's not like you are fightign them off thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We were in Qld in April and we saw more wildlife in Brisbane city parks than we did in rural Sunshine Coast. There's this park called Roma Park and there are tons of those orb weaver spiders high above your head. Actually very pretty, they were on the street lights all over South Bank too.

I saw one white tail on the Sunshine Coast who fell from the ceiling on to my plate, and sadly he didn't make it!! The only other wildlife we saw there were birds, lizards, bats and ants, lots of ants.

The only snake we saw was a python in Australia Zoo in a glass cage. :pac:

The golden rule is "don't stick your hands were you can't see them" and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Had a redback fall out of a brick and landed on my hand, didnt cope on until i flicked it off and labourer checked it out.
    Also found a scorpion about the size of my thumb crawling up me boss's boot after we dug out a trench, good to see that!

Lived in Kalgoorlie for 7 years and only a snake the 1 time, and it was in a park. If you go looking for the danger you might get lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Very aggressive, followed me down the street.

[IMG][/img]29febd3.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^^^

Holy crap :eek: :eek:

Do you run? If it's following you and you stand still it's going to get you oh sweet jeebus, any idea what it is?

I'm seriously creeped out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

hussey wrote: »

Attack is the wrong term. They kill people by breaking their necks with their padded bottoms. If they miss you after the drop they are pretty harmless. Although they will eat you if they succeed.

^^^^^

Do you run? If it's following you and you stand still it's going to get you oh sweet jeebus, any idea what it is?

Western browns arent agressive in that way. More than likey he was just headed in the same direction.

Taipans and Tigers are the only ones that will chase.

Actually thats just a common brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

you would think people working on fruit farms or near vegetation would be bite all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Dorm rooms in hostels can be hostile places. There's a certain St Kilda hostel that gets woeful infestations of bed bugs every so often. I have seen bites from head to toe on poor souls.

In January, the stingers can bite a bit in Port Phillip bay, nothing like the bluebottles in warmer waters though.

Spiders, the fiercest looking is probably the least harmful... Huntsman, I actually thought it was a toy when I last saw it, in a weekend rental near Wilson's prom. But this changed when his pal hitched a ride back to Melbourne in my bag & scampered across the kitchen floor!!
    Red backs live in our back shed and I am not a fan. A friend finds them in their BBQ each spring after winter and I lived in a house in rural NW Victoria, where you shook everything that you used or wore incase they were in there. I was doing a job out there and only in the last
    week did someone tell me about the time the king brown took up residence under the fridge for a week, he liked the warmth!
    I know people who have gotten nasty spider bites lolling on the grass in Albert park, by not shaking out their gloves from the shed, picnicking by a funnel web in Sydney.

I've received a nasty white tail bite by not having long gloves on. Never have actually met anyone who got bit while on the dunny tho.

Ozi snakes only bite when provoked for the most part. Steer clear and dress
    appropriately in long grass etc. Mates in country NSW used to go rabbitting as kids and always came across snakes, none of them were ever bitten.

Beasties are part of Australia, so you have to accept them. Or harden up as Chopper would say, though not quite in those words

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Redbacks and snakes don't really bother me that much. It is the harmless tartanula that gets me. I hate how they get in the car and I don't know where they are and I have to still drive the kids to school. They are fat hairy pre-historic looking monsters.
    Once a huntsman ran across the windscreen when I was driving. I turned on the wipers but a few minutes later he was back. It took a long time for me to get the guts to open that door and get out.
    I have killed a few snakes in my time but I have always mistaken them for a twig until I have driven over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

^^^^^

Hey Hells Belle, no I didn't run, ok I walked very fast. I'm not up on my snakes so I don't know what kind it is. Someone who I showed the picture to said it was a Dugite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugite

I know Jumpy says they aren't aggressive but this guy or gal really was. It was crossing the road going away from me, I whipped out the camera as it was the first time I'd see a snake. He came back across the road again when I hunched down to take a photo. I stood up and backed away and it kept coming. It followed me down the path for maybe 3 or 4 mins, then gave up. The speed they move at is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ellaq wrote: »
    Redbacks and snakes don't really bother me that much. It is the harmless tartanula that gets me. I hate how they get in the car and I don't know where they are and I have to still drive the kids to school. They are fat hairy pre-historic looking monsters.
    Once a huntsman ran across the windscreen when I was driving. I turned on the wipers but a few minutes later he was back. It took a long time for me to get the guts to open that door and get out.
    I have killed a few snakes in my time but I have always mistaken them for a twig until I have driven over them.
    I did look at my drivers door Mirror while driving once to see a huntsman staring at me.

Gave me a fright but it crawled of along the driver window to the rear of the car somewhere.

IMGP1192.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

hussey wrote: »

Wow! Thanks for the warning. That distribution map is very helpful too! ;)

• Advertisement

CatchLight wrote: »
    Hey Hells Belle, no I didn't run, ok I walked very fast. I'm not up on my snakes so I don't know what kind it is. Someone who I showed the picture to said it was a Dugite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugite

I know Jumpy says they aren't aggressive but this guy or gal really was. It was crossing the road going away from me, I whipped out the camera as it was the first time I'd see a snake. He came back across the road again when I hunched down to take a photo. I stood up and backed away and it kept coming. It followed me down the path for maybe 3 or 4 mins, then gave up. The speed they move at is unreal.

Thats seriously scary Catchlight, I'll have to man up about snakes or I'll never leave the house. I did a bit of reading on them and most guides said just stand still and they'll leave you alone, yeah like I'd stand still with that behind me.

Jumpy thanks for the info, are you Australian? I can't get over your casualness about a freakin big snake slithering down the road, mad :P

My biggest worry is I have a very curious 4 yr old who likes bothering the local cats. I had to pull him off a massive tom cat he managed to grab by the tail and pull from under a hedge on Sunday. The child just has no fear. If he saw that snake he'd be after it for a hug or to cut his head off, depending on his humour. Boys eh :pac:

CatchLight wrote: »

No matter what type of brown it was, if it caught you, you would have been screwed.

Browns are pretty much the deadliest of all the aussie snakes.

Thats seriously scary Catchlight, I'll have to man up about snakes or I'll never leave the house. I did a bit of reading on them and most guides said just stand still and they'll leave you alone, yeah like I'd stand still with that behind me.

Jumpy thanks for the info, are you Australian? I can't get over your casualness about a freakin big snake slithering down the road, mad :P

My biggest worry is I have a very curious 4 yr old who likes bothering the local cats. I had to pull him off a massive tom cat he managed to grab by the tail and pull from under a hedge on Sunday. The child just has no fear. If he saw that snake he'd be after it for a hug or to cut his head off, depending on his humour. Boys eh :pac:

Yep, Im Aussie.

We had our dog killed by one of these once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake

Dog killed it after it was bitten though. The thing was under the stairs inside the house.

Dont leave your doors open near the bush in Australia. Always have a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Jumpy wrote: »
    No matter what type of brown it was, if it caught you, you would have been screwed.

They are aggressive and pretty common, I found a lopped off head from one not far from home which is in Sydney.

Have been fishing up around Thompson's Lake in Lithgow seen a few Browns around there, also 4WD & camping down in Oberon seen loads. Never had a camera handy enough but got a picture of Red Bellied Black once around inlaws gaff in Wentworth Falls.

Have got this chap living in my back garden

Harmless except he tried to eat the cat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

There are loads of dangerous little cobblywobblys out there, but most of them don't want to be anywhere near you, and in the highly unlikely event that you encounter one, and get bitten, good first aid will buy you plenty of time to get anti-venom and get yourself looked after. Australia has 4 out of the top ten most venomous snakes, but has the best record in the world for treatment of snakebites. encounters are rare enough and usually harmless. fatalities are even more rare. I've been over here for 3 years, I've worked on farms, In the tropics and in mines, al sorts of bushland and I've still only seen two snakes, and they were piss-bolting away from me at the time, just follow good advice, inform yourself and you'll be sweet.
    Sharks are a different bloody story....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

WHY OH WHY DID I READ THIS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Actually thats just a common brown.
    Common brown?

I thought it was the Taipan.
    Then the Browns, the eastern brown being the most venomous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stud Muffin

Watch out for the magpies this time of year too. Vicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree totally those Collingwood feral feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

March (marsh?) flies are nasty feckers at the wrong season. Nasty nip on them.

Bed bugs are the most insidious creatures though. I hate these more than all the deadly snakes, spiders and sharks put together.

Advertisement