Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killers snakes,spiders and all things Aus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

March flies are my nemesis.

I didnt know Australia had a bed bug problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jumpy wrote: »
    March flies are my nemesis.

I didnt know Australia had a bed bug problem.

Yeah but it would be pretty endemic to hostels and similar.
    Constantly flow of people means they spread pretty fast. A place being clean isn't the issue, regualrly cleaned sheets don't get rid of bugs in the mattress.

Often, people think they have been bitten by mossies, but the bites are bed bugs.
    I was bitten before but blamed mossies for a while. Now know different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Often, people think they have been bitten by mossies, but the bites are bed bugs.

I've a few bites on my ankles, they're not mossie bites though, not even itchy. I'm thinking now maybe they're bedbugs :eek: I only got them since moving into a new holiday let.

How can I tell if it's bed bugs? And can you see them on the matress if you look hard enough?

It's ok! I've just been looking at the little buggers on Youtube. Puke! Then I checked the bed and pounced on and squashed to death, 2 little pieces of sock fluff! :o

Sock fluff is a protected species. Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No matter what type of brown it was, if it caught you, you would have been screwed.

That's a pretty hysterical exaggeration.

http://www.anaes.med.usyd.edu.au/venom/snakebite.html

If you're bitten by a snake, stay calm and seek immediate medical attention. Don't worry too much about identifying it either. We had to put signs up on the emergency department doors to stop people bringing the frickin snake onto the ward and going 'THIS is what bit me!'

Yes, mate, if you were trying to hit me with a shovel I'd probably bite you too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Was doing some work in the garden today and saw this pretty decent size Redback. Sorry the photo does not catch the red stripe.

30122011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

Dear sweet Jebus!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    *shudders violently*

I've been trying to de-sensitise myself to the inevitable arachnid element of moving to Aus. Coming from an absolute chronic arachnaphobe reading this thread has worried the intentionally ignorant bones of me. My best friend lives in Melbourne, moved over a year ago, and everytime we chat/skype I need an update on arachnid sightings, stories, encounters etc. She really wants me to come over but is fully aware of how serious my phobia is so I feel she may dumb down the actuality of living in Melbourne along with its legged residents.

I'm considering getting hypnotised. As I suffer from panic attacks I think this is probably in my favour, I'm willing to do anything to make the transition easier!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Lush Puppy wrote: »
    *shudders violently*

I've been trying to de-sensitise myself to the inevitable arachnid element of moving to Aus. Coming from an absolute chronic arachnaphobe reading this thread has worried the intentionally ignorant bones of me. My best friend lives in Melbourne, moved over a year ago, and everytime we chat/skype I need an update on arachnid sightings, stories, encounters etc. She really wants me to come over but is fully aware of how serious my phobia is so I feel she may dumb down the actuality of living in Melbourne along with its legged residents.

I'm considering getting hypnotised. As I suffer from panic attacks I think this is probably in my favour, I'm willing to do anything to make the transition easier!! :(

Saw less spiders in 9 months in Melbourne than I'd see back home in Dublin. Big ones aren't dangerous just a bit mad looking, and I think I've come accross about 3 or 4 huntsmen in the 15 or so months I've been here. The little ones can technically kill but the last recorded death from a spider bite is something mental like 1979.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'll back up what Eoghan said. If you move to Melbourne, you will be fine.

I have seen exactly zero spiders so far. It helps if you live relatively high up in an apartment but the city has very little to frighten you in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

*shudders violently*

I've been in Melbourne two months and I've seen nothing. Keep your apartment nice and clean and you won't attract them. I also heard that if you spray your apartment with palm oil (mix a little in with your surface cleaner) they won't come near your house. Apparently they don't like that... so the old wives tale goes!

If all else fails a good size 9 (maybe a 12 for a huntsman :p ) should do the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

You cant trust any of them!
    I thought this lad was my mate, we had an agreement that he stayed outside in the garden and lived at the gate and i wouldnt go near him.

That was ok for about 2 weeks until he got into my apartment. It took me ages to catch him in a plastic cup because of his speed and when i did i went to pick him up by the leg's to throw him out the door the fecker bit me:eek::eek::eek:!

I was shocked, i thought Huntsman spiders were gental giants. Anyway he didnt last long after he got the shoe and i think the bite was a dry bite. Nothing really happen only two little dots on my index finger, but i sh1t myself big time. Was onto google like a flash!

I have noticed a increased number of cockroaches now he's gone.

IMG_0238.jpg
    RIP...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

f**k me they are like mini crabs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

There would be no recipical agreement if I seen one of them near the apartment. I don't care how many flies or bugs they keep away.. He's getting mashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

haha fact!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I haven't seen a single snake or spider in the wild in the two years I've been in Oz (Melb & Per). Hoping it stays that way!

Oh my days. That is bloody HUGE!! Its got legs to africa?!? Christ!!!!!

See if the phobia was rational then I could say yeah I don't mind the big hairy buggers because they wont bite or kill me, but death as an eventuality is not a problem, ironically! Even if it is the smaller ones to worry about common sense doesn't come into it. Big/Black/Hairy = New underwear Come to think of it, small/fast/close proximity = New underwear. By desensitising I mean I've forced myself to look at the pictures of the ones you've posted. Some. Not ready for all. I once spent the night in my kitchen because there was a MASSIVE black beast in the hall. Was terrified it would fall on me as I ran to my bedroom. Rationality doesn't even come into it :'( I am a chronic phobic :(

You seriously haven't seen any in the wild in 2 years?! That's amazing! I love hope stories! :) If I'm to get 2nd year visa and have to do 3 months seasonal work then I'm afraid I will definitely encounter my arch nemeses. Something I wish I could do but just couldn't without hypnotherapy :'(

Are you sacred of even little spiders?

Zambia wrote: »
    Are you sacred of even little spiders?

Not entirely, but within reason, I mean if I put my index finger to my thumb and make it circular, thats about the diameter I can handle. ie. be able to hoover up without quivering. Any bigger and its panic stations.

Theres a photo above with one beside a coin. He looks a natsy bugger but the size of him wouldn't bother me so much. I'm not appreciative of his company but I'm not speed dialling penneys for a delivery of pants either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

BossArky wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single snake or spider in the wild in the two years I've been in Oz (Melb & Per). Hoping it stays that way!

I wouldn't expect to see snakes in the city but to go 2 years over here and not see either a redback or a huntsman is good going. Just yesterday I saw a redback,a black house spider and a tent spider in the space of half an hour while having a beer outside my house.

aido79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect to see snakes in the city but to go 2 years over here and not see either a redback or a huntsman is good going. Just yesterday I saw a redback,a black house spider and a tent spider in the space of half an hour while having a beer outside my house.

I've heard of all these types but how would you describe redback, hunstman, black house and tent spider? Obv can't look up pictures :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I've heard of all these types but how would you describe redback, hunstman, black house and tent spider? Obv can't look up pictures :(
    Red back is black with a red stripe on it. Its the most dangerous of the 3. The black house spider is completely black and about the size of a 2 euro coin. The tent spider is bigger and sort of striped brown and white.

Red back is black with a red stripe on it. Its the most dangerous of the 3. The black house spider is completely black and about the size of a 2 euro coin. The tent spider is bigger and sort of striped brown and white.

Black house spider actually has a grey abdomen.

Quite easily mistaken for a funnel web as its web is similar.

We have hundreds around in the brick walls outside the house.

Jesus skipz, dont pick up ANY spiders. None are gentle giants.

See now the size of a 2euro coin I can handle, with some graduated desensitisation :p
    Its the other fckers with their hairy legs and agility that freak me out. Never in my life saw an orange spider like the pic a few posts back. What type was he? Also how big was he? Regardless of type would there be many large ones in city parks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Jesus skipz, dont pick up ANY spiders. None are gentle giants.

Yeah wont be doing that again in a hurry. ;)

What type was he? Also how big was he? Regardless of type would there be many large ones in city parks etc?
    Thats a huntsman the one near the coin is a redback.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fanta2009

Found this guy on the kitchen wall in regional WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

haven't seen many redbacks in adelaide in my couple of years here, maybe 3 all up. Have seen loads of huntsmans though, they're ugly bast***s though. I have found these to be quite effective in killing more than just mozies: http://www.amazingflygun.com/ :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

I've been in oz the last 5/6 months and seen a good few spiders and snakes floating around (perth,melbourne,sydney) im doing my regional work in Kyabram,victoria at the moment and my boss is very helpful when it comes to dealing with snakes.....'you see one, hit it on the head with a shovel and then slice it off...the only good snake is a dead one'' otherwise leave it alone. Got bitten by some breed of a spider while in Kalgoorlie on my hand and it swelled bigtime but a few antibiotics from the hospital i was grand in 5 days.I think ignorence is bliss in this case....if you go looking for them you will find them so your better off to try put them at the back of your mind

Like was said above somewhere, if you get bitten.....stay calm, i have been told that putting ice over the bite helps and then seek medical advise if you can

While we are on the subject of critters....does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping flys away from you....i keep swallowing so many on the farm i reckon my biggest danger out here is ill choke on them!!! And please..no suggestions for keeping my mouth shut, my teachers tried for years and failed miserably :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

scaled.php?server=88&filename=lizardt.jpg&res=medium

Bit of a shock when putting the bins out, thought it was a snake!

Advertisement