Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go safe vans and speed limits

Options
  • 16-10-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks I've been testing car speedo's against the speed read out of a range of sat navs and I've found that most of them are out anything up to +/- 5kmh

My question is how much over the limit do you have to be going to get a speeding ticket from one of these vans?
    Say you are doing 85kph in an 80kph zone, would you still get a ticket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Not to be a smartass, but if you are travelling over the limit you are speeding. Meaning you are breaking the law and can be caught, regardless of by how much. I don't know what the general policy regarding by how much is.

I know of one day in France where ANPR cameras were put atop two motorway bridges and timing every car between the two points, 20,000 tickets issued in one day by the one speed trap, with a zero tolerance policy! Not sure if it was police operated or a private company...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think in the UK its 10% of the limit +2mph but I don't know if they do it here.

If they did they should probably keep the info private.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

More than likely it could be your speedo thats +5km. In terms of the go save vans, I dont think they give an allowance at all. If your over, your over.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

a little bit off topic a bit but how long do it take for a ticket to be sent out form one of them vans because 9 days ago i passed one and i am 100% sure i was over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Not to be a smartass, but if you are travelling over the limit you are speeding. Meaning you are breaking the law and can be caught, regardless of by how much. I don't know what the general policy regarding by how much is.

I know of one day in France where ANPR cameras were put atop two motorway bridges and timing every car between the two points, 20,000 tickets issued in one day by the one speed trap, with a zero tolerance policy! Not sure if it was police operated or a private company...

If what my sat nav's have said are right, there is a chance that you're travelling over the speed limit without knowing it. There would have to be a margin for error, even in the machinery they use in the van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Guess the answer to that one comes down to the mood of the judge on the day if you appealed it;)

I'd imagine the margin for error on the vans is very very small prob way less than 1%...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Usually, speedometers are programmed to read higher than actual speed. This is because construction and use regulations in the EU make it illegal for a speedo to read less than your actual speed, as this could lead to a situation where you could be done for speeding without knowing it.

Regarding the satnav calibration: check the specification of the satnav regarding accuracy. Depending on how good the satnav is, it could be several km/h off. My Garmin is accurate to +-1.8km/h, my phone (HTC Desire) has been up to 20km/h off. Basically, I wouldn't rely on phone GPS to be a reliable benchmark.

If you have a good GPS and the speedo is reading below actual, then you've a problem with your speedo.

On the vans, I believe they have a very small (if any) tolerance on the limit. Whatever people say, they're operated by a business and businesses exist to make money so they're going to operate in a fashion that allows them to make more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Chimaera wrote: »
    On the vans, I believe they have a very small (if any) tolerance on the limit. Whatever people say, they're operated by a business and businesses exist to make money so they're going to operate in a fashion that allows them to make more of it.

Go Safe gets paid the same amount regardless of the number of speeding tickets issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Go Safe gets paid the same amount regardless of the number of speeding tickets issued.

Add to that all fines have to be approved by a Garda so I believe there is a reasonable margin allowed.

The camera will snap you but it doesn't mean you'll get a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Sat Navs are not accurate unless your travelling on a road thats totally parallel with sea level. Show me a road in Ireland over 5Km long that qualifies...

Can we finally put this myth to bed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

How many lives were saved in France that day? Coz thats what its all about here in Ireland.Safety. Nothing to do with revenue for our gangster governed country;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Fishtits wrote: »
    Sat Navs are not accurate unless your travelling on a road thats totally parallel with sea level. Show me a road in Ireland over 5Km long that qualifies...

Just how steep a gradient do you think there is on Irish roads.

A 10 degree gradient will give a sat nav reading which is 98.5% the same as on flat.

A 20 degree gradient will give a sat nav reading which is 94% the same as on flat.

20 degrees is steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had the car dyno'd there last month, when the car was showing 108kph on the speedo it was in fact only doin 100kph according to the dyno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

We've had this before and I think the general consensus was that your speedo. will always over estimate your speed by approximately 5mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Chimaera, was that 20km off reading on your phone being used with 3g (google maps for example) or a standalone map app (such as copilot) which operates only with the built in GPS and doesn't rely on phone connection?

Two queries myself:

1 - If you believe you were over and don't hear anything within 6 months, is it the same as a Garda issued notice in which they only have 6 months to issue a conviction, after which time you can't be charged with the offence?

2 - I know these vans are operated by humans, does this mean that somebody has to be paying attention in order to catch people breaking the speed limit, so say the operator was in the back of the van and went to the cab to have a look in his bag to find a few pecan nuts, would all passing traffic over the limit be safe in these 2 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

This was using Speedview on Android. It's usually much better than that, but it shows the limitations of phone GPS IMO.

Not sure about 1, but like any offence there's probably a statute of limitations.

On point 2, I'm pretty sure the actual speed monitoring equipment is automatic, not requiring any human intervention to measure and record someone's speed and issue the penalty. The human is just there to put it in place and switch it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Add to that all fines have to be approved by a Garda so I believe there is a reasonable margin allowed.
    Have you got any evidence to support your assertion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Does anyone know if the go safe vans check the speed of vehicles travelling towards them or away from them or both ? Do they check their side of the road, the opposite side of the road or both ?

I passed one today on the Navan road Dublin I was on the opposite side of the road there was one car behind me and on on the opposite side of the road. Anyhow there was a flash - I looked at my speedo and it said 54kph - its a fifty zone.

so was this likely flashing at me or the guy going the other way ? should I expect a bill and some points ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Does anyone know if the go safe vans check the speed of vehicles travelling towards them or away from them or both ? Do they check their side of the road, the opposite side of the road or both ?

I passed one today on the Navan road Dublin I was on the opposite side of the road there was one car behind me and on on the opposite side of the road. Anyhow there was a flash - I looked at my speedo and it said 54kph - its a fifty zone.

so was this likely flashing at me or the guy going the other way ? should I expect a bill and some points ?

the vans can do both ways but this is a close one.

54 giving the 10% inaccuracy too ... and if the van was even watching yourself or if the car on the other side blocked you out for a part of it that it might not have being able to see you.

to me it looks like you just have to sit and wait sadly.

Anyone any idea on my questions above?
    1 - If you believe you were over and don't hear anything within 6 months, is it the same as a Garda issued notice in which they only have 6 months to issue a conviction, after which time you can't be charged with the offence?

2 - I know these vans are operated by humans, does this mean that somebody has to be paying attention in order to catch people breaking the speed limit, so say the operator was in the back of the van and went to the cab to have a look in his bag to find a few pecan nuts, would all passing traffic over the limit be safe in these 2 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

If its any help, I spoke to one of the guys in the go safe vans & he told me there was a small percentage over the speed limit which they don't issue tickets for but he would not tell me what it was. The guy was fairly sound too,didn't mind me asking about the vans and stuff.

By the by, on that occasion, the van was parked up on really bad country road in north Dublin, which was good to see, unlike the Garda one, which is still hanging around the Islandbridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

If its any help, I spoke to one of the guys in the go safe vans & he told me there was a small percentage over the speed limit which they don't issue tickets for but he would not tell me what it was. The guy was fairly sound too,didn't mind me asking about the vans and stuff.

By the by, on that occasion, the van was parked up on really bad country road in north Dublin, which was good to see, unlike the Garda one, which is still hanging around the Islandbridge area.

He wouldn't neccesarily know. He just operates the machinery, perhaps someone else processes all the data?

cormie wrote: »
    Anyone any idea on my questions above?

I have been caught twice by the go safe vans and both times the ticket/fine arrived within two weeks of the "offence".

The camera is automatic and does not need an operator once setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fishtits wrote: »

My bike GPS gives gradient and height and so can adjust for your angle of climb etc to compensate. I see no reason why satnavs can't do the same. You only need 4 satellites instead of the minimum 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Parked in Harold's cross at 6.30 this morning on that notoriously dangerous stretch of road from kimmage...fish in a barrel?

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have been caught twice by the go safe vans and both times the ticket/fine arrived within two weeks of the "offence".

The camera is automatic and does not need an operator once setup.

Thanks for that, didn't think they were automatic, I though the garda in the back of the van was in control of it in some way. I wonder once, it goes past 6 months, can you assume there won't be a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Just how steep a gradient do you think there is on Irish roads.

A 10 degree gradient will give a sat nav reading which is 98.5% the same as on flat.

A 20 degree gradient will give a sat nav reading which is 94% the same as on flat.

20 degrees is steep.

even with my basic knowledge of triganometry, id say your figures are suspect. The base of the "triangle" between two readings taken by the sat nav will be fractions of a mm and the long axis to the satellite will be measured in 100s of KMs meaning the angles at both ground points are minute to the point of being neglible,giving almost total accuracy whether the road be flat or inclined.

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, didn't think they were automatic, I though the garda in the back of the van was in control of it in some way. I wonder once, it goes past 6 months, can you assume there won't be a ticket?

There is no Garda in the back and yes I would think you are in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

smokin ace wrote: »
    a little bit off topic a bit but how long do it take for a ticket to be sent out form one of them vans because 9 days ago i passed one and i am 100% sure i was over the limit

Got mine sent out 3 working days after I got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mfceiling wrote: »
    Parked in Harold's cross at 6.30 this morning on that notoriously dangerous stretch of road from kimmage...fish in a barrel?
    Many serious accidents happen in the early hours, and we know that the highest rate of non compliance is in urban areas.

Seems like an appropriate location.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement