Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go safe vans and speed limits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

corktina wrote: »
    even with my basic knowledge of triganometry, id say your figures are suspect. The base of the "triangle" between two readings taken by the sat nav will be fractions of a mm and the long axis to the satellite will be measured in 100s of KMs meaning the angles at both ground points are minute to the point of being neglible,giving almost total accuracy whether the road be flat or inclined.

GPS is only accurate to a couple of metres in terms of longitude and latitude - when you have the best satellite signal. For altitude its even less accurate - say to about 20m or so when you have the best signal. Also the questino of how often your gps unit reads a signal and calculates a position would have an influence on speed calculations and resulting from that the question of whether you are going in a straight line or turning a corner has an influence on accuracy. I actually thought his figures were generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

but does GPS not measure your position several times per second? (several dozen times perhaps? ) that would reduce any inaccuracy to virtually zero. The only real inaccuracy would be in any time lag in updating your display.

corktina wrote: »
    but does GPS not measure your position several times per second? (several dozen times perhaps? ) that would reduce any inaccuracy to virtually zero. The only real inaccuracy would be in any time lag in updating your display.

I don't know what the refresh rate is, but you don't understand inaccuracy/precision. Even if it measures lots of times a second, the fact that the reading is only accurate to say 2 m horizontally or 20m vertically does not mean it gives you the same wrong reading each time it measures. It means it gives you slightly different readings every measurement but 95% of the time its within 2m or 20m - so each reading will vary by x% even if you don't move anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't think a speedo giving a bad reading would be a valid excuse. More likely youd get the speeding fine, and get another fine for having a broken speedo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Joe10000 wrote: »
    We've had this before and I think the general consensus was that your speedo. will always over estimate your speed by approximately 5mph.

Never trust general consensi.

Shirley it's more likely to be a % error as opposed to a fixed mph one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Fishtits wrote: »
    Sat Navs are not accurate unless your travelling on a road thats totally parallel with sea level. Show me a road in Ireland over 5Km long that qualifies...

Can we finally put this myth to bed?

Where did you pull this nugget from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Many serious accidents happen in the early hours, and we know that the highest rate of non compliance is in urban areas.

Seems like an appropriate location.

Have you driven that road?
    Difficult to get any speed on it and I'm living in the area a long while and there's never been one fatality on that stretch...but they're not set up to raise revenue only placed where people have died or been seriously injured before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have you driven that road?
    Difficult to get any speed on it and I'm living in the area a long while and there's never been one fatality on that stretch...but they're not set up to raise revenue only placed where people have died or been seriously injured before!!
    Yes, and I'm never surprised where some drivers will break speed limits, especially if they think they won't be caught.

The best place for a speed trap is where people break speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pjjm

How long does it take for a fine to be posted out from a Go Safe Van??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I believe they have up to 6 months to process and send the fine. I'm not sure if it's void after this period?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

4 months. Anything else is self righteous bullshj!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

cormie wrote: »
    I believe they have up to 6 months to process and send the fine. I'm not sure if it's void after this period?

They've 6 months to summon you.

Rubbish. They have 6 months from the alleged offence date.

Rubbish. They have 6 months from the alleged offence date.

That's what was said, how's it rubbish?

The alter rail gnawing people would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

tickets are posted out within a few days
    you them have a total of 56 days to pay the fine.
    If the ticket isnt paid then a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the date of the offence.

a general rule of thumb would be 3weeks max for the ticket to be posted out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is there any legislation to back up the 6 month thing?

Can anyone clarify, say for example if you feel you may have been caught and don't hear anything within 6 months, does that mean you'll never hear anything as it's passed the time period in which they can pursue you for the offence?

Petty sessions Ireland act 1882.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

If these "GO SAFE" vans are so good for road safety, how come one of them nearly collided with me when he left hooked me while I was cycling?The least they could do is obey the rules of the road THEMSELVES :mad:

If these "GO SAFE" vans are so good for road safety, how come they are in safe stretches of wide road with low speed limits that have recently been lowered ?????

These things are about making money - nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

If these "GO SAFE" vans are so good for road safety, how come they are in safe stretches of wide road with low speed limits that have recently been lowered ?????

As has been said before these vans locations are easily checked on the Garda website
    and you can cross reference the location of the van with the RSA accident location stats.

The Go-safe vans are easily identifiable and can only be placed at the locations as per the website, Garda camera vans can be placed where ever the local Garda authorities deem them to be most effective.

Neither have anything to do with revenue generation, as local Garda authorities do not get any money raised through fines nor do the Go-safe operators get a 'bonus' as they too are located following consultation again with Garda authorities.

The usual nonsense about 'revenue' generation has never been backed up by facts, although someone will no doubt link a daily mail article. The whole idea of these camera vans is about deterrence in known locations where there has been serious or fatal accidents.

As I have said before if you are caught by a go-safe van seeing as their locations are made known, well you can only really blame yourself.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    As has been said before these vans locations are easily checked on the Garda website
    and you can cross reference the location of the van with the RSA accident location stats.

The Go-safe vans are easily identifiable and can only be placed at the locations as per the website, Garda camera vans can be placed where ever the local Garda authorities deem them to be most effective.

Neither have anything to do with revenue generation, as local Garda authorities do not get any money raised through fines nor do the Go-safe operators get a 'bonus' as they too are located following consultation again with Garda authorities.

The usual nonsense about 'revenue' generation has never been backed up by facts, although someone will no doubt link a daily mail article. The whole idea of these camera vans is about deterrence in known locations where there has been serious or fatal accidents.

As I have said before if you are caught by a go-safe van seeing as their locations are made known, well you can only really blame yourself.

Well someone has a massive chip on their shoulder. What I saw a few nights ago could only be about revenue generation. Simple as. Why do local garda authorities need ot get revenue or why do gosafe guys need a comission for it to be about revenue generation ??? All it requires is a higher up in either organisation to say 'Underlings! Put a van there at that time!'

Edit: Also I just checked and double checked the map - the location the camera van was in is NOT on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's locations and locations.

For example, one I'm quite familiar with is the old N1 south of Julianstown.

The Garda map shows that there is a stretch of road from Whitecross (pretty much in Julianstown) to Gomanston (Delvin Road) - so the options for placing a GoSafe van are fairly extensive.

So, pop quiz time.......where do they always put the van:

(a) North of the N1 / M1 junction near Julianstown where there is a school, dodgy enough hill and a decent amount of crossing traffic (http://g.co/maps/vvyt6) - maybe to deter speeding near a heavily trafficked village and deter toll-dodging HGVs from speeding to make up the time they lose by coming off the motorway

or

(b) on the wide open stretch of road with the inappropriate 80 km/hr speed limit that the council can't be bothered to change

These cameras have a lot to do with both road safety and revenue raising and the proof is simply in their existence - we should see them go eventually because either they will be successful, in which case they'll be redundant or they'll be a failure in which case they'll be a waste. I don't see any move to get rid of them because for the State (not the Guards) they bring in more money than the contract costs.

This is based on the RSA's own stats - according to their site there were about 828,000 penalty points issued to drivers in the State in 2011 - a cursory examination suggests about 60-66% of these were for speeding - that's 497,000 to 546,000 points.

Some of these will be issued by courts with most being issued via Fixed Penalty notices and given it's €80 and 2 points for speeding, I think it's reasonable to assume that each point represents €40 (based that points issued by the court will generally also be accompanied by a larger fine and late payers not going to court will pay more per point). there will be some non-payers, but I'd imagine it's quite small.

This means the State is raking in somewhere in the region of between €20m and €22m for an outlay of €16m - not bad going at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

how come they are in safe stretches of wide road with low speed limits that have recently been lowered ?????
    To catch people who deliberately ignore the posted speed limit and make those roads unsafe?
    How much profit is made?

opti0nal wrote: »
    To catch people who deliberately ignore the posted speed limit and make those roads unsafe?

In some instances and at some times of the day, they may as well take a shotgun to a barrel full of fish and open fire.
    How much profit is made?

Do you know?

The posted speed limit on the busy city road that got lowered from 80kph to 60kph for 300m for no good reason on straight 4 lane wide road before it turns back to 80kph ??
    How much profit is made?

You know - I don't know - but more than is made on a country back road where people actually DO dangerously speed but doens't have the same through put and conveniently changed low speed limit on more than adequate road for higher speed limit.

The posted speed limit on the busy city road that got lowered from 80kph to 60kph for 300m for no good reason on straight 4 lane wide road before it turns back to 80kph ??
    There must have been a reason, have you tried to find out? In any case, if there were speed limit signs indicating what the permitted speed is, what's the problem? Only dozy people who don't pay attention get caught.
    I don't know
    So, you could be wrong about that?

There must have been a reason, have you tried to find out?
    I don't follow. How would I do that ? why would I do that ? Where would I have time to do that ?
    In any case, if there were speed limit signs indicating what the permitted speed is, what's the problem? Only dozy people who don't pay attention get caught.
    Honestly there was alot of traffic and it was dark. I could not see the signs due to vehicles around me and darkness and being in the middle lane - there is one there I know from memory but I can't remember exaclty if it says 50kph or 60kph as it changed a couple of times and it changes several times in the short stretch of road. I was doing the same as everyone else - 60kph +/- 2kph. Guy ahead of me put his foot down. Flash went off when he was more or less parallel to speed camera so didn't think they were snapping him. Honestly don't know who it snapped but every was of similar speed. What I can tell you is it was a safe stretch of road formally an 80kph zone.

So, you could be wrong about that?

No. The cost of operating the van is the same regardless. If its on a country road there is less traffic and less speeders than on a 4 lane city road with an inappropriately low speed limit. They will make more money on the later. No doubt.

I don't follow. ....why would I do that ?
    So that you could use facts to support your otherwise, weak, argument
    What I can tell you is it was a safe stretch of road formally an 80kph zone.
    Which the authorities decided to change to a lower limit for reasons you don't know or understand and you have not bothered to try and find out.

I don't follow your logical process, it seems to be based on imagination.

• Advertisement

So that you could use facts to support your otherwise, weak, argument

Which the authorities decided to change to a lower limit for reasons you don't know or understand and you have not bothered to try and find out.

I don't follow your logical process, it seems to be based on imagination.

You know what buddy I really don't care what you think.
    The van was placed to earn cash, not enhance safety. I was there. You weren't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement