Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go safe vans and speed limits

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Does anybody know the margin of error/forgiveness that these vans operate to?

Has anybody revived a fine for doing 61kph in a 60kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

cgarrad wrote: »
    Does anybody know the margin of error/forgiveness that these vans operate to?

Has anybody revived a fine for doing 61kph in a 60kph?

The GoSafe Vans seem to have dropped their tolerance from 8km (9km over and you get a ticket) to 4km (5km over and a ticket is issued)

This seems to be the absolute lowest they can go without raising questions in courtas to its accuracey, as the device is only accurate to +/-3km/h or 1.5% whichever is greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 inisor

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have been caught twice by the go safe vans and both times the ticket/fine arrived within two weeks of the "offence".

The camera is automatic and does not need an operator once setup.

So was it 10 working days ? or 2 weeks in all?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

anybody got a calibration cert for one the radars GO Safe use ? please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Bodhan wrote: »
    Over the last few weeks I've been testing car speedo's against the speed read out of a range of sat navs and I've found that most of them are out anything up to +/- 5kmh

My question is how much over the limit do you have to be going to get a speeding ticket from one of these vans?
    Say you are doing 85kph in an 80kph zone, would you still get a ticket?

Most car speedometers are calibrated to show between 3-5 kilometers faster than you are actually travelling.. so your sat-nav will always show a few klms lower than the car speedo. And as far as I know, this is a legal requirement for car manufacturers.....they cannot have for example a speedo showing 90 Kph, when the car is travelling at 95 Kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

jmreire wrote: »
    Most car speedometers are calibrated to show between 3-5 kilometers faster than you are actually travelling.. so your sat-nav will always show a few klms lower than the car speedo. And as far as I know, this is a legal requirement for car manufacturers.....they cannot have for example a speedo showing 90 Kph, when the car is travelling at 95 Kph.

people often say this sort of thing but it surely must be the case that the speed difference is a percentage not 3 - 5 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Zombie Thread, in fairness :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Isambard wrote: »
    people often say this sort of thing but it surely must be the case that the speed difference is a percentage not 3 - 5 km/h

Its a fact, under EU law, Car speedometers must show faster speed than actual travel speed,but not less. As far as I know though it works out at between 3-5 KPH, Maybe its expressed as a %. I don't know how it's calculated,,,,,5% at 100 Kph would be 5 Kph, so maybe this is how it's done, but when the speed limit is say 50 Kph.......2.5 Kph margin???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement