Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kleptocratic hypocrisy exposed: USA to prop up Ugandan dicatorship

• 16-10-2011 4:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

The US troops, subject to the approval of national authorities, could also deploy from Uganda into South Sudan, the Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama said in a message to Congress.

LRA rebels are accused of murdering, raping and kidnapping thousands of people in those four nations. Tens of thousands of people have died in their 20-year war in northern Uganda.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/10/20111014174712102972.html

More horrific hypocrisy from the kleptocratic warlord. Bombing Libya to overthrow a leader who won't play ball in the oil business, sending troops to Uganda to prop up one who will. Uganda's oil deposits since 2009 have gone from estimations of 300 million barrells to over 2 billion barrells.

Pathetic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The LRA have been terrorising the region since the 80's. Despite countless measures, including a moderately successful amnesty for ex-commanders, the LRA under Kony continue to kill, rape and mutilate.

The bill passed unanimously back in 2010 and these military advisors will operate in surrounding and affected nations (Sudan, etc) if those countries agree.

Just as the Ivory Coast has benefited from the removal of Gbagbo, Uganda (and the wider region) can only benefit from the removal of Kony and his band of savages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I dont support the Ugandan Government at all but the LRA really are brutal; and I think this is the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The LRA have been terrorising the region since the 80's. Despite countless measures, including a moderately successful amnesty for ex-commanders, the LRA under Kony continue to kill, rape and mutilate.

The bill passed unanimously back in 2010 and these military advisors will operate in surrounding and affected nations (Sudan, etc) if those countries agree.

Just as the Ivory Coast has benefited from the removal of Gbagbo, Uganda (and the wider region) can only benefit from the removal of Kony and his band of savages.

Oh, for fücks sake Jonny, will you change the record. Since when has the White House or the Fistagon given a tinker's pïss about rape and pillage and plunder? These are used to sway squeamish opinion towards military intervention, plain and simple.

Cast your memory back 6 months to Libya. NATO are levelling cities to "avert a genocide" and now the bastards have the audacity to come out and yap about security and energy resources....and how many are dead?

Cast your memory back to Iraq "about to kill every man, woman and child on the planet" just for the heck of it and now it's "well the Iraqis are now free" .... tell that to the orphans of the 1.5 million of them who are dead or the 5 million who are huddling in tents in Syrian and Jordanian refugee camps.

Cast your memory back to ALL these horseshït causes and tell me that this entire bloody exercise is to safeguard something, anything.

I saw an interesting piece of footage a few weeks ago. It was a Danish reporter showing Afghan fighters a photo of the twin towers in flames. Not one of them knew anything about the photo they were looking at. They didn't even know where it was.

jonny, you talk about freedom and democracy and equal rights and the rule of law. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. You say it's ok to attack another country but you've signed up to the illegality of that.

Nobody believes you and nobody cares anymore. All you do is justify criminality and frown upon those who have the temerity to question it.

Oh, for fücks sake Jonny, will you change the record. Since when has the White House or the Fistagon given a tinker's pïss about rape and pillage and plunder? These are used to sway squeamish opinion towards military intervention, plain and simple.

From your statements it would be fair to say you have a twisted view of the world.
    Cast your memory back 6 months to Libya. NATO are levelling cities to "avert a genocide" and now the bastards have the audacity to come out and yap about security and energy resources....and how many are dead?

NATO weren't levelling cities. They caused minimal casualties. If you want to challenge me on that, then please do, with substantiated facts and credible sources (without any nonsense about the media being controlled, etc)
    Cast your memory back to Iraq "about to kill every man, woman and child on the planet" just for the heck of it and now it's "well the Iraqis are now free" .... tell that to the orphans of the 1.5 million of them who are dead or the 5 million who are huddling in tents in Syrian and Jordanian refugee camps.

I know well about Iraq, I followed it every day for years, I marched against it in '03, but every situation is not Iraq. I am not going to say every conflict today is "Carthage".
    Cast your memory back to ALL these horseshït causes and tell me that this entire bloody exercise is to safeguard something, anything.

The world changes, the Cold War ended, Bush and Blair have gone, administrations change. If you are determined that every leader of the US, UK and Israel is evil then that's what you will believe (you never ever mention Russia, India, etc - of course, its a symptom of blind hatred)
    I saw an interesting piece of footage a few weeks ago. It was a Danish reporter showing Afghan fighters a photo of the twin towers in flames. Not one of them knew anything about the photo they were looking at. They didn't even know where it was.

What's the point of that story?
    jonny, you talk about freedom and democracy and equal rights and the rule of law. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. You say it's ok to attack another country but you've signed up to the illegality of that.

Nobody believes you and nobody cares anymore. All you do is justify criminality and frown upon those who have the temerity to question it.

Jackie, the world is not how you portray it, but if you surround yourself with lunatic fringe websites, Russian and Iranian propaganda then you will convince yourself of it.

The campaign in Libya was very successful at averting mass casualties, just like the interventions in Kuwait, Bosnia and Kosovo. These are some examples of very succesful interventions by the US or Nato. Hopefully this will be another one. Once again, the US are the only ones who don't turn a blind eye to a potential catostrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Bush and Blair are lackeys for the super rich, just as Cameron and Obama are now. The corporate financiers are writing all the policy, and exercising the excessively destructive force of the Anglo American war machine in their own interest. They care not for liberty or democracy, only slaves and consumers. Human rights is an ideology they cynically use to justify their actions. It's ugly, but it is reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

Couldn't agree more there baked noodle.

Not a jot of difference between the two administrations. Same ****, just with different colours on their lapel during the elections. Exactly the same benefactors.

Can the US administration blatantly concentrate only on stripping (or as they like to say "investing in") the African continents resources and exploiting it's people by using NATO/Africom/World Bank/IMF while hypocritically propping up or far more blood-thirsty regimes?

Yes we can.

I dont support the Ugandan Government at all but the LRA really are brutal; and I think this is the right thing to do.

Thinking about it again, the US should have made political reform in Uganda a condition of them fighting the LRA.

The injustice of the world is appalling, but none of us can deny we are part of it. I am oppressed by it and have done very well out of it, so it is from a position of bourgeois privilege that I look upon reality with disgust. Hopefully there is a better way someday.

ed2hands wrote: »

Not a jot of difference between the two administrations. Same ****, just with different colours on their lapel during the elections. Exactly the same benefactors.

Can the US administration blatantly concentrate only on stripping (or as they like to say "investing in") the African continents resources and exploiting it's people by using NATO/Africom/World Bank/IMF while hypocritically propping up or far more blood-thirsty regimes?

Yes we can.

The LRA is a murderous cult, causing untold misery, hacking limbs off innocent children, using the girls as sex slaves, the boys as soldiers.

Why pass up a good opportunity to again bash the US and spout rhetoric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

ed2hands wrote: »

Can the US administration blatantly concentrate only on stripping (or as they like to say "investing in") the African continents resources and exploiting it's people by using NATO/Africom/World Bank/IMF while hypocritically propping up a far more blood-thirsty regimes?

Yes we can.

violent leaders make use of american made weapons

The history of man is both horrifying and encouraging. We have dominated each other to build empires and our finalisation will be consigned to history with all the other empires we condone. Man has always been reasonable, but reason without love is monstrous. The condition of our work is self defeating. If humans value mutual respect we must all take responsibility for our work. We must use the power of money to create a more just world. We, as workers and consumers, must ensure we do not support power structures that are self destructive. We must educate ourselves and each other about the multinationals that are fostering fear and destruction throughout the globe. We must boycott the products of irresponsible companies and establish alternative local industries that provide real wealth in our communities. If we do not, then civilisation will perish. Growing your own food is a revolutionary act. May love prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Just the way of the world... it's brutal and only a hippy/commie/liberal/Marxist/Muslim would speak against it.. :rolleyes:

The history of man is both horrifying and encouraging. We have dominated each other to build empires and our finalisation will be consigned to history with all the other empires we condone. Man has always been reasonable, but reason without love is monstrous. The condition of our work is self defeating. If humans value mutual respect we must all take responsibility for our work. We must use the power of money to create a more just world. We, as workers and consumers, must ensure we do not support power structures that are self destructive. We must educate ourselves and each other about the multinationals that are fostering fear and destruction throughout the globe. We must boycott the products of irresponsible companies and establish alternative local industries that provide real wealth in our communities. If we do not, then civilisation will perish. Growing your own food is a revolutionary act. May love prevail.

Are all companies irresponsible? if not, then which ones are okay? who decides? you?

Also are you referring to subsistence farming? like Africa? or collective farming?

RichieC wrote: »
    Just the way of the world... it's brutal and only a hippy/commie/liberal/Marxist/Muslim would speak against it.. :rolleyes:

I believe in none of these labels. I do believe in a more just world. People can give as well as take. I know I'm not alone.

Are all companies irresponsible? if not, then which ones are okay? who decides? you?

Also are you referring to subsistence farming? like Africa? or collective farming?

Most of the companies of todays world are dependent upon exploitation. They should be reformed or boycotted until they do. The consumer sets the price. The consumer is responsible for the worker and the way companies operate. Consumers are already deciding what companies are "ok". Most of us are ignorant of how our goods are made because we are lied to by the people managing the production, distribution and sale. People have an innate sense of justice. It's something that all human share, but only some respect. Companies wouldn't spend all that money hiding the truth if they cared not for consumers God given moral judgement. Consumers can make a better world by being responsible.

How individual industries operate, the purpose and organisation of such industries would depend on the needs of the community. I am not a dictator, we can only do it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I believe in none of these labels. I do believe in a more just world. People can give as well as take. I know I'm not alone.

yes it's a very reasonable stance, but it makes you a commie in the eyes of anyone on the far right, which seems to be quite a few round here.

yes it's a very reasonable stance, but it makes you a commie in the eyes of anyone on the far right, which seems to be quite a few round here.

I believe in God, so I changed my post significantly. I don't think we will ever have a perfect society in this world, but I know we will be judged by how we treat our fellow man.

Most of the companies of todays world are dependent upon exploitation. They should be reformed or boycotted until they do. The consumer sets the price. The consumer is responsible for the worker and the way companies operate. Consumers are already deciding what companies are "ok". Most of us are ignorant of how our goods are made because we are lied to by the people managing the production, distribution and sale. People have an innate sense of justice. It's something that all human share, but only some respect. Companies wouldn't spend all that money hiding the truth if they cared not for consumers God given moral judgement. Consumers can make a better world by being responsible.

How individual industries operate, the purpose and organisation of such industries would depend on the needs of the community. I am not a dictator, we can only do it together.

Yes, can you give us a comprehensive list of the Irish companies you think fall under the criteria to qualify them for boycott or reform - and specifically detail what levels and categories of exploitation they use.

(Its easy to be a hippy about life, harder to put it into practice)

Yes, can you give us a comprehensive list of the Irish companies you think fall under the criteria to qualify them for boycott or reform - and specifically detail what levels and categories of exploitation they use.

(Its easy to be a hippy about life, harder to put it into practice)

It is a dream to be sure. There is a war for our souls.

Just want to point out that the ideology I just argued for is fundamentally incoherent and atheist. We will never do this together. If you want to look at a perfect society on earth look at flies. I didn't appreciate it at the time but I was being a dictator by telling everybody how to do things. God be praised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement