Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dun laoghaire shopping centre to get a supervalu. where to apply for jobs ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The day it opened I thought they were giving the stuff away for free it was so busy. Supervalu can't really compete with the likes of Tesco on price, but the special offers in Supervalu (especially the wine ;) ) are worth dropping in for.

There is no reason why Supervalu can't compete with Tesco. Musgraves are the biggest food retailer in the country. They own Superquinn, Centra, Supervalu and Mace and in GB they own Londis and Budgens.

I think people expect them to be expensive, so they get away with charging more

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is no reason why Supervalu can't compete with Tesco. Musgraves are the biggest food retailer in the country. They own Superquinn, Centra, Supervalu and Mace and in GB they own Londis and Budgens.

I think people expect them to be expensive, so they get away with charging more

Lol, Tesco are the fourth largest retailer in the world! I think they command a little more leverage than the Musgrave group ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Supervalu's business model seems to be largely based on locating itself in fairly middle class areas with little or no competition close by, which allows them to overcharge for fairly average products. In Dun Laoghaire the challenge they face is that M&S caters to the middle class market with genuine premium quality products while Tesco caters to the rest. There are also a couple of butchers and greengrocers. I don't see how a Supervalu can be viable in such a setting. Most people just think it's a ripoff and stay away from it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lol, Tesco are the fourth largest retailer in the world! I think they command a little more leverage than the Musgrave group ;)

It wouldn't make as much difference as you might think.

tomdublin wrote: »
    Supervalu's business model seems to be largely based on locating itself in fairly middle class areas with little or no competition close by, which allows them to overcharge for fairly average products. In Dun Laoghaire the challenge they face is that M&S caters to the middle class market with genuine premium quality products while Tesco caters to the rest. There are also a couple of butchers and greengrocers. I don't see how a Supervalu can be viable in such a setting. Most people just think it's a ripoff and stay away from it.

I agree there, it seems a bit of a strange move, unless the shopping centre was desperate to get an anchor store and gave them a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Tesco also place huge margins on almost everything they sell (particularly in ROI stores). Technically, Musgraves could compete with them on price, but there would only be one winner in a price war and it wouldn't be any Irish based supermarket. Similarly, in Britain, Tesco still find it difficult to match Asda on price because they don't have the buying power of Walmart.

Supervalu is a great Irish company. They stock Irish produce where possible. I think Tesco cleverly exaggerate how much cheaper they are. The number of actual price match/cheaper than Supervalu tickets in their stores is minimal.
    Anyway, I would much rather pay a little over the odds and shop with them.

Very impressed with the new store.

WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

tomdublin wrote: »

Genuine question - Can you explain what's premium quality about M&S? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Genuine question - Can you explain what's premium quality about M&S? :confused:

I'm not a huge M&S goer myself but what they sell is for the most part of very good quality. Their chilled stuff is very fresh and nutritionally quite good and uses few preservatives or dodgy fats or colours. It's also very good on issues like fair trade (I think most of their coffee, tea and chocolate is) and on animal welfare (e.g. their eggs are all free range). They also seem to treat their staff quite well. It's fairly pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oisind2345

This is the very first time I felt it totally necessary to post a complaint about a supermarkets customer service, I was so over the moon to see an Irish supermarket open in dunlaoghaire, above all times, we now need to support our own, more than ever before. Last week I done a shop in super valu dunlaoghaire, one of the items I purchased was a fillet of ham, after putting it on to cook the following day, I discovered to my shock and horror, that while the label had an irish county side type picture, and stated it was produced in roscommon, it went on to state it was from spain, I returned as a regular customer, the following day, and aired my views to a very understanding floor supervisor, she said she would raise the issue with a manager, and was it possible I still had the label, I returned the following day after rooting through my bin for the label, the floor supervisor welcomed my efforts, and introduced me to a store manager, this guy only wanted to explain how they are able to sell cheap fresh meat that they receive from musgraves, maybe because he was not irish himself, he had no understanding of me feeling totally coned as an irish shopper, he said if I looked more carefully the irish ham was beside the spanish hams and was 3 euro dearer . next time I go to supervalu, I will bring my good glasses,it may promote itself as an irish store, but be carful and for gods sake dont root through you bins to prove a point to trir customer service,

, john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I genuinely think that's the longest sentence I have ever read

• Advertisement
Advertisement