Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child seat in front of jeep...?

• 16-10-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,
    Is it illegal and/or dangerous to have a baby/child seat on front passanger seat of commercial jeep & does it make any difference if the airbag is de-activated?
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we de activated the air bag in our jeep, we had to sign a letter at the garage that we would not sue them in the case of something happening but this was a good few years ago , could have changed since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

yes/no/maybe

lots of inter-related things here.

You're not supposed to use a commercial vehicle for non-commercial purposes.

You're not supposed to use a rear facing seat when there's an airbag.

The good news is that it is allowed to put children/child seats in the front when there's only two seats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya we do it, no airbag fitted. Would like to hear what exactly the legal side of things is on it. Sure aren't they better off strapped into the front seat than bouncing round in the back if anything happens?:eek: Legally what size/age does a child have to be to sit in the front seat of a car?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I was always sure that children had to be 12 to sit in the front of a car, and that children in the front seat of a jeep/van was a bit of a grey area..
    Last week two guards visited the creche where my little one goes.. They sent a leaflet home and i'm now confused...
    It doesn't seem to restrict any age from sitting in a front seat as long as they are in a proper seat and that if in a rear facing seat the airbag has been turned off...
    Here's a snap of the points on seats/belts

[IMG][/img]IMG_0135.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Longback

sprouty wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is it illegal and/or dangerous to have a baby/child seat on front passanger seat of commercial jeep & does it make any difference if the airbag is de-activated?
    thanks.
    Hi I'm sure my greatest concern would be my kids safety. I don't know about illegalities,but the RSA tell us a child is statistically in greater danger in the front seat of a vehicle versus the back. And regarding the airbag,if any manafacturer fitted safety feature in your vehicle is disabled, then it's automatically unroadworthy(check DOE/NCT) and will invariably lead to problems with insurance companies in the event of an accident. I'd check with my insurance company .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Longback wrote: »
    Hi I'm sure my greatest concern would be my kids safety. I don't know about illegalities,but the RSA tell us a child is statistically in greater danger in the front seat of a vehicle versus the back. And regarding the airbag,if any manafacturer fitted safety feature in your vehicle is disabled, then it's automatically unroadworthy(check DOE/NCT) and will invariably lead to problems with insurance companies in the event of an accident. I'd check with my insurance company .

But if you are using a rear facing child seat in the front seat of a vehicle, it is illegal and dangerous to have the airbag switched on in either a passenger or a commercial vehicle.

I think the posters above are talking about commercial vehicles where a rear seat in not an option. In cases like this, a child, secured in a proper child/booster seat in the front passenger seat would be a lot safer than having the child unsecured in the rear load space (as used to happen around here up to only a very short time ago. )

As a farmer with a commercial vehicle, sometimes you bring a child with you (to give the mother a break, or just to help you). Its not illegal to bring them with you so long as they are properly secured in the vehicle. Most 4x4's will have a deactivation switch for the passerger airbag in the driver or passenger door well and you can normally switch it on or off with the vehicle key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

On a smilar point – does anybody here know the minimum age for a pillion passenger on a motorbike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

.,if any manafacturer fitted safety feature in your vehicle is disabled, then it's automatically unroadworthy(check DOE/NCT) and will invariably lead to problems with insurance companies in the event of an accident. I'd check with my insurance company .

Most modern cars have the ability to turn off the airbag yourself as part of the standard equipment... This does not mean the NCT is invalid, in itself it is a safety feature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Longback what exactly are you basing the above on as regards nulifying your insurance?
    Is this not the kind of scare mongering which makes it increasingly difficult to do business in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I checked with my insurer and my child (7yro with booster seat) is covered when traveling in the van with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

bbam wrote: »
    Most modern cars have the ability to turn off the airbag yourself as part of the standard equipment... This does not mean the NCT is invalid, in itself it is a safety feature...

This facility isn't on the Landcruiser, you have it deactivated by the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sprouty

EGAR wrote: »
    I checked with my insurer and my child (7yro with booster seat) is covered when traveling in the van with me.

Thanks for that....if its as safe as the back seat of a car/covered by insurance etc that just leaves the issue of using a commercial vehicle for private use. I for one won't be copliant with that one....nanny state nonsense !

vetstu wrote: »
    This facility isn't on the Landcruiser, you have it deactivated by the dealer

Its definitely in the L200. I have had to turn mine off on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

none of the toyota,s can turn off passanger side airbag.
    have a hilux which cant be turned off, had carolla before, same thing.
    brought it to the garage to get it disconnected, and the refused to do it.
    saying if an accident happened and it went to court the garage would be liable

dar31 wrote: »
    none of the toyota,s can turn off passanger side airbag.
    have a hilux which cant be turned off, had carolla before, same thing.
    brought it to the garage to get it disconnected, and the refused to do it.
    saying if an accident happened and it went to court the garage would be liable

I had a 06 corolla and it had an off switch. Have an Auris now and it can be turned off too. Its vital that its turned off for to have a rear facing child seat in the front seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

reilig wrote: »
    I had a 06 corolla and it had an off switch. Have an Auris now and it can be turned off too. Its vital that its turned off for to have a rear facing child seat in the front seat.

must have been only the models i had. my mistake..
    missus hated the old 3 door corolla, as she had to climb into the back to get the baby, at the time, straped in. by the time the second came it was a case change the car or sleep in it....

Advertisement