Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Username: Boards.ie

Options
  • 16-10-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Post of the Day today is this little gem:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74943225&postcount=1

Personally I find that a bit of a simplistic and reactionary rant, but I noticed that the 150+ thanks appended included the username Boards.ie.

That got me wondering: who or what is this entity thanking such posts, and what does it say, if anything, about the politics of the site generally?

Is it just an individual with that username, in which case only a personal opinion is being expressed, as validly as anyone else's? Or does it give us a clue as to the political leanings of Boards.ie?

Just wondering...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Post of the Day today is this little gem:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74943225&postcount=1

Personally I find that a bit of a simplistic and reactionary rant, but I noticed that the 150+ thanks appended included the username Boards.ie.

That got me wondering: who or what is this entity thanking such posts, and what does it say, if anything, about the politics of the site generally?

Is it just an individual with that username, in which case only a personal opinion is being expressed, as validly as anyone else's? Or does it give us a clue as to the political leanings of Boards.ie?

Just wondering...

It's just a users name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Someone saw the username was available and went for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It comes up automatically when someone gets Post of the Day. It's not a user.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's an automated feature.

That thought had crossed my mind. So it's an automated nod from Boards for getting POTD.

[/SPECULATION]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Purely automated as some of the earlier posters have indicated. The account was set up to track previous POTD afair.

Search the username's profile for 'Find all posts thanked by Boards.ie' and you've an intersting history of all previous POTD. Good reading.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Purely automated as some of the earlier posters have indicated. The account was set up to track previous POTD afair.

Search the username's profile for 'Find all posts thanked by Boards.ie' and you've an intersting history of all previous POTD. Good reading.

The example linked to in the OP presumably an example of the exception proving the rule.
    </mmmyes>

I drew a blank when first looking up the Boards.ie username, which is partly why I resorted to Feedback.

Clicking on the 'find all thanked posts' option just gave me this error message: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I drew a blank when first looking up the Boards.ie username, which is partly why I resorted to Feedback.

Clicking on the 'find all thanked posts' option just gave me this error message: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
    You clicked the wrong link, you should have clicked this one:
    Find all posts thanked by Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Boards.ie has not made any friends yet"

Aww, *clicks befriend*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I liked it more before YLYL took over. Now it's mainly a history of reddit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

So if its automated, how has Boards.ie made it onto the league of bastards for sitebans?!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So if its automated, how has Boards.ie made it onto the league of bastards for sitebans?!

Maybe it recently became self aware. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The 'thanking the post of the day' is an automated feature specific to that account or so I read. It's still a standard user account. There's a few accounts set up with User, Mod and/or Admin privileges used by the tech team to test vB stuff.

That or it's the rise of the machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It may at some point have been used to ban a user. The current use for the Boards.ie account is for POTD and various other automated tasks related to the day to day running of Boards.

The tech team have their own accounts and a few test accounts to test stuff with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It may at some point have been used to ban a user. The current use for the Boards.ie account is for POTD and various other automated tasks related to the day to day running of Boards.

The tech team have their own accounts and a few test accounts to test stuff with :)
    Test stuff? Interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

It has been said that bubbles started the account and got banned under it. Then the company found a use for it.

Advertisement