Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewire Question

Options
  • 16-10-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Our electrician says that he cannot bring a chase up from the subfloor but must bring it down from the crossspace. He says you can't certify if it not. He's the only one who has said that to us.

Can anyone confirm this please? Also, where can you find these guidelines on what needs to be done to certify?

Lastly, how long does a certified electrical system last for.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

Our electrician says that he cannot bring a chase up from the subfloor but must bring it down from the crossspace. He says you can't certify if it not. He's the only one who has said that to us.

Can anyone confirm this please? Also, where can you find these guidelines on what needs to be done to certify?

Thanks all

what is your subfloor constructed from(cant say i have come across this before if its a timber floor)

to certify the installation he needs to be a member of reci or eccsa or wire to correct specifications and get the governing body out to certify

it is recommended to get the installation checked every 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

meercat wrote: »
    what is your subfloor constructed from(cant say i have come across this before if its a timber floor)

to certify the installation he needs to be a member of reci or eccsa or wire to correct specifications and get the governing body out to certify

it is recommended to get the installation checked every 5 years

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yep, just a normal timber subfloor in a normal 1960's house.

Also, I want to get internet points around the house. Is this CAT 5 or CAT 6? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Hi all,

Thanks all

etci rules and reguations http://www.etci.ie/safety/nationalruleselectricalinstallations.html

domestic premises are supposed to be rewired every 25/30 years iirc

not sure what you mean here, whats the chase for? most (modern) houses in ireland are wired from the ceiling space and dropped down to sockets, switches etc on the ground floor and a mix of both on the first floor,

dont see a problem bringing the cables up from the sub floor and chasing the walls
    cat 6 will be better for the internet connections but most laptops are wireless so i wouldnt bother tbh

evosteo wrote: »
    etci rules and reguations http://www.etci.ie/safety/nationalruleselectricalinstallations.html

domestic premises are supposed to be rewired every 25/30 years iirc

not sure what you mean here, whats the chase for? most (modern) houses in ireland are wired from the ceiling space and dropped down to sockets, switches etc on the ground floor and a mix of both on the first floor,

Hi

We're getting a rewire of an old house. I want to protect our nice coving and we want the switches and sockets to have their wiring brought up from below than from the ceiling.

Is that not allowed by regulations?

Any recommendations on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

+1 on the cat 6

imho i reckon the electrician may think theres too much work involved in wiring from the floor up, more time consuming than coming down from the ceiling, and if you insist on it he may price accoringly,

would be alot cheaper to jus do the chases to the ceiling and get a plasterer in for half a day to patch and tidy up any holes cracks left from the rewire

btw theres no rule saying you cant do it from the subfloor, but it may be more expensive

evosteo wrote: »
    +1 on the cat 6

imho i reckon the electrician may think theres too much work involved in wiring from the floor up, more time consuming than coming down from the ceiling, and if you insist on it he may price accoringly,

would be alot cheaper to jus do the chases to the ceiling and get a plasterer in for half a day to patch and tidy up any holes cracks left from the rewire

btw theres no rule saying you cant do it from the subfloor, but it may be more expensive

Thanks for that.

The walls are concrete so the wireless has difficulty getting to all areas of the house. I want it for streaming to tv and playing music over my speakers in the house also.

The coving is plaster and apparently very difficult to redo if damaged so we want to avoid damaging it.

Thanks

Thanks for that.

The coving is plaster and apparently very difficult to redo if damaged so we want to avoid damaging it.

Thanks

long masonry drill bit(12mm)drilled up at an angle below the coving usually works

meercat wrote: »
    long masonry drill bit(12mm)drilled up at an angle below the coving usually works

Great idea.

Thanks for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

For the computer network points You could use cat 5 or cat 6, cat 6 allows greater speeds but the cable is slightly more expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement