Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Isn't Symths Icon same owners as Angel Lane 101 Texas Steakout and Bambu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bigpink wrote: »
    Isn't Symths Icon same owners as Angel Lane 101 Texas Steakout and Bambu

Don't know. I thought Smyths Icon was owned by some English company.

YFlyer wrote: »

No Tony Enright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

YFlyer wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's the same family as mentioned above.

No Tony Enright

Ah ok, Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Skuxx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's the same family as mentioned above.

Had heard over the past few weeks that Smyths/icon wasn’t reopening,

I’d imagine theyre gonna put the focus into 101 instead

bennyl10 wrote: »

I'd say mothballing it for now..maybe see about selling it
    Symths could open very easy for food tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

bennyl10 wrote: »

Its only a certain amount of time though till it turns in to another Smyths with the way they run it.

Its only a certain amount of time though till it turns in to another Smyths with the way they run it.

101 is a huge success so far

101 is a huge success so far

Smyths was the same way as well when it opened, u know what i mean though.

• Advertisement

Smyths was the same way as well when it opened, u know what i mean though.

Symths Icon is still a huge success??Closed over Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I had to look on Google Earth. There’s a building between Pier One and Alcehmist that has three units. Modern Man is one, a clothes alteration place ‘Zipped’ next to that and an empty unit. Not sure what was there last though.

Do any of you other lads remember this:
    Back in the early 1990s in the Crescent Hall, (O'Connell St/Ave) there was a blind auction. From what I remember - I just walked in for a look, had no money to be buying anything at the time - people were bidding on black plastic bags and the contents secreted within. The bag was shown, sometimes it looked like a teddy bear, sometimes like a VCR box, TV box etc etc and the auctioneer started the bids at £5. It was pure gambling of the highest order. No one knew what was in the bag until it was paid for.

Anyway, about a week after that this shop opened in the unit that Quay books are going into now, and they were doing the same thing, only difference was that each bag was now £30. Take it or leave it.

Now, onto Quay Books, I think it's a great move. Students across the way, books, pads, pens, chargers, rulers, whatever is required and more or less a captive audience. I've a funny feeling some other booksellers in town might be kicking themselves a little.

I hope Quay books have done their homework properly and don't find an outlet of another bookseller actually in the building saving student's crossing the street on a wet day. However a bit of clever pricing should balance things out along with a good relationship.
    Best of luck to to Quay Books, I purchased many a gem down through the years from them. They always had something that you'd never find anywhere else.

In other news - for the fans - unfortunately the Spiralayto machine will be out of action for a while. We have to provide more care for a member of the family. Thanks to everyone for the reactions to the taste, the crunch and the smiles you gave us. Thanks for the support. We'll chat again.
    Brian

I had to look on Google Earth. There’s a building between Pier One and Alcehmist that has three units. Modern Man is one, a clothes alteration place ‘Zipped’ next to that and an empty unit. Not sure what was there last though.

When you said Alchemist, I had Pharmacy in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,451 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do any of you other lads remember this:
    Back in the early 1990s in the Crescent Hall, (O'Connell St/Ave) there was a blind auction. From what I remember - I just walked in for a look, had no money to be buying anything at the time - people were bidding on black plastic bags and the contents secreted within. The bag was shown, sometimes it looked like a teddy bear, sometimes like a VCR box, TV box etc etc and the auctioneer started the bids at £5. It was pure gambling of the highest order. No one knew what was in the bag until it was paid for.

Anyway, about a week after that this shop opened in the unit that Quay books are going into now, and they were doing the same thing, only difference was that each bag was now £30. Take it or leave it.

Now, onto Quay Books, I think it's a great move. Students across the way, books, pads, pens, chargers, rulers, whatever is required and more or less a captive audience. I've a funny feeling some other booksellers in town might be kicking themselves a little.

I hope Quay books have done their homework properly and don't find an outlet of another bookseller actually in the building saving student's crossing the street on a wet day. However a bit of clever pricing should balance things out along with a good relationship.
    Best of luck to to Quay Books, I purchased many a gem down through the years from them. They always had something that you'd never find anywhere else.

In other news - for the fans - unfortunately the Spiralayto machine will be out of action for a while. We have to provide more care for a member of the family. Thanks to everyone for the reactions to the taste, the crunch and the smiles you gave us. Thanks for the support. We'll chat again.
    Brian

I actually remember that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure if it counts but King John's is due to close end of August

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Not sure if it counts but King John's is due to close end of August

Yeah, there's been a lot of controversy over that. Due to the lack of overseas (mainly American) tourists Shannon Group are closing all their tourist attractions on September 1st until next Sprng/Summer . Bunratty Castle is to close too.

Yeah, there's been a lot of controversy over that. Due to the lack of overseas (mainly American) tourists Shannon Group are closing all their tourist attractions on September 1st until next Sprng/Summer . Bunratty Castle is to close too.

Didn't know about Bunratty too. I've been planning trips to both while the weather is good so I better get my arse in gear I suppose

Mejana Lebanese is gone the location by the river
    We seem to have to very poor food options by the river

Mejana Lebanese is gone the location by the river
    We seem to have to very poor food options by the river

Was down there the last 2 days and despite loads of people especially Saturday cause of a jazz band there was nowhere to just grab a coffee. Actually is Jack Mondays the only coffee shop on the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Irwins jewellers on William street closing down according to the limerick leader. A “retirement sale” to take place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

or.....as the add says "Fully licenced premises for sale with long term tenant" the building is for sale by the owner, the Tap shall remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not quite the same pics on Googe maps, From the top of Thomas street it is from June 2017
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6618187,-8.6236491,3a,75y,103.92h,94.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syi8yqGssTWK13LJwV-VLag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

But on Wickam Street itself it is
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.661655,-8.6235361,3a,75y,73.53h,92.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4mc-WbNNU7a0odacXgmpA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I don't think I ever saw it looking like the outdoor pic in that daft listing.
    Only went there a few times and was expecting something more like the salt house, but at least they tried something. I don't think they will be the only ones to not reopen unfortunately.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Not quite the same pics on Googe maps, From the top of Thomas street it is from June 2017
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6618187,-8.6236491,3a,75y,103.92h,94.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syi8yqGssTWK13LJwV-VLag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

But on Wickam Street itself it is
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.661655,-8.6235361,3a,75y,73.53h,92.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4mc-WbNNU7a0odacXgmpA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I don't think I ever saw it looking like the outdoor pic in that daft listing.
    Only went there a few times and was expecting something more like the salt house, but at least they tried something. I don't think they will be the only ones to not reopen unfortunately.

was only looking now @ the street,wow it has changed all closed down. what kind of business is that @ No 34 ?? Is it one of those strange ones.?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

dashoonage wrote: »
    or.....as the add says "Fully licenced premises for sale with long term tenant" the building is for sale by the owner, the Tap shall remain.

I inferred that the tenanted bit referred to the apartments overhead, but you could be right. It would be a shame to see it go. Especially as with Crew brewing opening up soon, it should benefit from more passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

That is the worst written sale as I've seen for a while

3 overseas apartments included fantastic for rentals

15 minutes to the sea

And the address Wickham Street, Garryowen, Co. Limerick

Never mind the picture from Facebook or the piece about Ireland at the end

was only looking now @ the street,wow it has changed all closed down. what kind of business is that @ No 34 ?? Is it one of those strange ones.?

What do you mean strange ones?

ones that are set up but not as advertised.

You know exactly what he meant and he's not wrong

• Advertisement

You know exactly what he meant and he's not wrong

Honestly I dont. Laundering? bothel? something else? If it cant be said here tell me in a PM

Advertisement