Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

adaminho wrote: »
    No, I just work there. All I'm saying is its not as easy as it sounds. I've spoken to publicans that have opened with food and their business is way down and expenses are up.

I agree with Adaminho, very experienced, knows what he is saying. It's not that easy. He's right. For some pubs - as long as the virus is around - they will be better off to keeps their doors closed. Others may see a little rise in business.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's a real waste that the market is closed most of the week. It must be the city's biggest covered outdoor space. You could let closed pubs that need to sell of stock run bottle shops and have the food provided by the cafes in the market building.

A place like Mother Mac's could bring down loads of bottles and growlers and we could all have a nice socially distanced time outside.

I've seen it done in London alot since lockdown but the licencing laws are much more flexible there so that might be an issue

Fair play Breezy, keep the ideas coming. I like the sound of that one, unfortunately knowing what I do it will be extremely difficult to pull off.

However, this is where we are - unprecedented times - All business owners need to get creative. We cannot stand here and now and whinge about how it's not the same as it was. Get thinking, try things until you find it works.

Go and get what you want, you'll be a long time waiting for it otherwise.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 26,073 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree with Adaminho, very experienced, knows what he is saying. It's not that easy. He's right. For some pubs - as long as the virus is around - they will be better off to keeps their doors closed. Others may see a little rise in business.

Fair play Breezy, keep the ideas coming. I like the sound of that one, unfortunately knowing what I do it will be extremely difficult to pull off.

However, this is where we are - unprecedented times - All business owners need to get creative. We cannot stand here and now and whinge about how it's not the same as it was. Get thinking, try things until you find it works.

Go and get what you want, you'll be a long time waiting for it otherwise.

All the best

I only found out yesterday that some of the stalls that have left the milk market due to Covid restrictions are operating out of the potato market on Saturday's

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I only found out yesterday that some of the stalls that have left the milk market due to Covid restrictions are operating out of the potato market on Saturday's

Firstly - For everyone: I do not speak for Limerick Market Trustees.
    Due to the Covid-19 restrictions the market is following the government guidelines. So inside the Milk Market are sold the "lebensmittel" essentials so to speak. There's no browsing, in purchase and out.
    That is working well.
    So then the market tried really hard to accommodate the other stall holders like the crafts, hot food etc. and they provided the space in the Potato Market.
    Now, what was the Milk Market under the canopy is now split in two so the speak.
    However, I'm surprised that you only found out yesterday. I understood that it was well advertised.
    Anyway, now one can visit the Milk Market over two destinations. Cool eh?
    I don't know if you know me, but we are not in a position to trade there anymore, about 70/30 for family reason/Covid. We miss it.

Firstly - For everyone: I do not speak for Limerick Market Trustees.
    Due to the Covid-19 restrictions the market is following the government guidelines. So inside the Milk Market are sold the "lebensmittel" essentials so to speak. There's no browsing, in purchase and out.
    That is working well.
    So then the market tried really hard to accommodate the other stall holders like the crafts, hot food etc. and they provided the space in the Potato Market.
    Now, what was the Milk Market under the canopy is now split in two so the speak.
    However, I'm surprised that you only found out yesterday. I understood that it was well advertised.
    Anyway, now one can visit the Milk Market over two destinations. Cool eh?
    I don't know if you know me, but we are not in a position to trade there anymore, about 70/30 for family reason/Covid. We miss it.

I've been avoiding the market since covid and it probably was well advertised but went over my head until I saw a poster in Abbey River Coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Anyone else think it's a real waste that the market is closed most of the week. It must be the city's biggest covered outdoor space. You could let closed pubs that need to sell of stock run bottle shops and have the food provided by the cafes in the market building.

A place like Mother Mac's could bring down loads of bottles and growlers and we could all have a nice socially distanced time outside.

I've seen it done in London alot since lockdown but the licencing laws are much more flexible there so that might be an issue

I always wondered that myself..seems to be severely underutilized.

I was in Newcastle late last year and there was a similar sized set up to the Milk Market that was absolutely thriving

Surely it could be something that could be explored that could be used for the many pubs that will surely struggle if they reopen? Having a large centralized outdoor covered venue could only be beneficial in encouraging people to start going out again?

Would a deal like "buy 4 pints at our stall in the milk market and get the 5th one for free in our pub" be financially feasible for pubs? If so, it would be a great way to start to develop business again.

As well as that, pubs could possibly pool together in the Market in order to book live music at a cheaper rate etc.

It would be brilliant to see if it was done properly and would offer something different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

adaminho wrote: »
    We would have to organise food handling courses for staff, there's also the extra staff required, plus extra PPE, and 100 things more! At the end of the day we're a Pub not a restaurant! You wouldn't go to an Italian restaurant and ask for Chow Mein. Why would you go to a Craft beer pub and order food? We could do it but that's not the point!

Thinking of craft/real ale places in England, a lot of them sell snacking foods like scotch eggs, pork pies, cheese plates etc, not full meals. And last year in France I went into two craft bars where they did similar things (not pork pies or scotch eggs, but chorizo type sausages).

La Bamba wrote: »
    I always wondered that myself..seems to be severely underutilized.

I was in Newcastle late last year and there was a similar sized set up to the Milk Market that was absolutely thriving

Surely it could be something that could be explored that could be used for the many pubs that will surely struggle if they reopen? Having a large centralized outdoor covered venue could only be beneficial in encouraging people to start going out again?

Would a deal like "buy 4 pints at our stall in the milk market and get the 5th one for free in our pub" be financially feasible for pubs? If so, it would be a great way to start to develop business again.

As well as that, pubs could possibly pool together in the Market in order to book live music at a cheaper rate etc.

It would be brilliant to see if it was done properly and would offer something different!

Lots of cafes and food markets double as evening and late night venues in the Uk but the joke of a licencing system in this country puts a stop to that.

Treaty City are back open doing coffee and takeaway beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Lots of cafes and food markets double as evening and late night venues in the Uk but the joke of a licencing system in this country puts a stop to that.

Treaty City are back open doing coffee and takeaway beer.

Nothing can happen in the Milk Market without Dolan's being involved

What takeaway pints?

Mother Mac's could easy do the wings from say Volcano or Casa Nova
    I have family in the food catering industry my brother said Mother Mac's must have a PR manager all the cover age they have gotten over been closed they are allowed to open just under certain rules.Pubs will have to change it up a bit
    Mickey's is doing a good set up
    Nancy's could easily be open aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

bigpink wrote: »
    Mother Mac's could easy do the wings from say Volcano or Casa Nova
    I have family in the food catering industry my brother said Mother Mac's must have a PR manager all the cover age they have gotten over been closed they are allowed to open just under certain rules.Pubs will have to change it up a bit
    Mickey's is doing a good set up
    Nancy's could easily be open aswell

Nancy's make their money late in the evening and won't open until they can stay open late

• Advertisement

Nothing can happen in the Milk Market without Dolan's being involved

What takeaway pints?

Just bottles I think but I was there for coffee so didn't check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

sioda wrote: »
    Nancy's make their money late in the evening and won't open until they can stay open late
    And they've no shortage of cash either, more or less had a monopoly on Limerick nightlife for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

sioda wrote: »

Doesn't want to go down the route of being s food pub, had heard from one of the staff that Tom Collins was to open soon.

Poorside wrote: »
    Doesn't want to go down the route of being s food pub, had heard from one of the staff that Tom Collins was to open soon.

I've seen people coming and going from there alright. Can't imagine you will fit many in without bar seating but ide love to see it open all the same

It would make sense open Nancy's with the space.
    At least other places are trying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It would make sense open Nancy's with the space.
    At least other places are trying
    I'm pretty sure that Donal Mulcahy knows more about the business than you'll ever know and he has his reasons for not reopening Nancys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've seen people coming and going from there alright. Can't imagine you will fit many in without bar seating but ide love to see it open all the same
    A lot of their seating is in the alley outside these days. If they could use more of the alley they'd have plenty of seating.

I'm pretty sure that Donal Mulcahy knows more about the business than you'll ever know and he has his reasons for not reopening Nancys.

Fair enough just saying how the public and his customers feel

A lot of their seating is in the alley outside these days. If they could use more of the alley they'd have plenty of seating.

Well the building on the other side of the alley has recently sold..and could affect the pub because of the use of the laneway.Always wonder ed how Tom Collins got away with using the whole lane

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fair enough just saying how the public and his customers feel

Problem is the public and his customers won't front the additional costs of reopening under current guidelines. Actually I'd say they would be the first ones moaning about price increases on facebook.

• Advertisement

Does he still own Collins and the Woodfield as well so its not like hes doing nothing if so

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

Does he still own Collins and the Woodfield as well so its not like hes doing nothing if so

Yep . No fear of Donal .

It might be gone a while but Spice Vintage is gone from Harvey's Quay thought it was a cool shop even tho only got one thing there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It might be gone a while but Spice Vintage is gone from Harvey's Quay thought it was a cool shop even tho only got one thing there

Think it was mentioned a while back they went to online with Covid and did very well so decided not to re-open the bricks and mortar store.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Think it was mentioned a while back they went to online with Covid and did very well so decided not to re-open the bricks and mortar store.

And then some young fashion designer is going paying 3k a month for a unit in Adare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Yep . No fear of Donal .

Fair play to him. I've heard he treats his staff very well, if he is doing well they are well rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

And then some young fashion designer is going paying 3k a month for a unit in Adare
    To be fair, as outlandish as that rent is, she is going for a completely different market, i.e. high-end, premium, bespoke fashion where people will want to try on clothes, have the whole shopping experience, rather than purchasing online. Still crazy money all the same :eek:

To be fair, as outlandish as that rent is, she is going for a completely different market, i.e. high-end, premium, bespoke fashion where people will want to try on clothes, have the whole shopping experience, rather than purchasing online. Still crazy money all the same :eek:

True but start small maybe and build up.3k before you sell an item is an awful lot

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

True but start small maybe and build up.3k before you sell an item is an awful lot

She's already been kitting out the influencers and a few household names for a number of years. She's fairly well established.

• Advertisement

She's already been kitting out the influencers and a few household names for a number of years. She's fairly well established.

Oh didn't know that.Kitting out influencers while sounds great on social media doesn't pay the bills.Lockdown has shown there true colours
    Who does she design for?Must keep an eye out

Advertisement