Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nevils Shoes is closing. Will be sad to see this go.

From their FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/415039718544019/posts/3503095839738376/?sfnsn=mo

Passed it this morning on my way to drop shoes in for repair. As you said, sad to see it go, it was one of my go to shops for shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Nevils Shoes is closing. Will be sad to see this go.

From their FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/415039718544019/posts/3503095839738376/?sfnsn=mo

Sad. In terms of shoes that's Nevils (34 years) and Kelly's Newcastle West (43 years) both gone within 3 months of each other. Sign of the times and it'll probably get a whole lot worse in the new year. You'd wonder how many retailers will survive during the bleak months of Jan/Feb/March with more lockdowns on the way :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Townie_P wrote: »
    Sad. In terms of shoes that's Nevils (34 years) and Kelly's Newcastle West (43 years) both gone within 3 months of each other. Sign of the times and it'll probably get a whole lot worse in the new year. You'd wonder how many retailers will survive during the bleak months of Jan/Feb/March with more lockdowns on the way :confused:

Is Nevils closing a sign of the times or is it just the lady retiring? A lot of the independent stores in the city center are owned by older people whose family's don't want to carry on the business. A few stores have closed recently due to retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is Nevils closing a sign of the times or is it just the lady retiring? A lot of the independent stores in the city center are owned by older people whose family's don't want to carry on the business. A few stores have closed recently due to retirement.

Limerick sports store was the same I think. Probably a load of butchers will go the same way some day soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Most definitely a sign of the times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

adaminho wrote: »

Isnt there one in the crecent as well ?? its only the city one that is closing. or am i thinking of some other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Future unclear? It has “closing down” written in large letters on both windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Future unclear? It has “closing down” written in large letters on both windows.

Exceptionally sourced and researched "journalism" from the Limerick Leader as usual. What a pathetic rag it has become!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Isnt there one in the crecent as well ?? its only the city one that is closing. or am i thinking of some other business.

You are correct, they have one in the crescent that is remaining open... Or rather it will re-open after the lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Frank Frawleys butchers in Arthurs Quay is closing, shame was handy if you were shopping there and food was good.
    https://www.live95fm.ie/news/buzz/limerick-butchers-make-difficult-decision-to-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

sioda wrote: »
    Frank Frawleys butchers in Arthurs Quay is closing, shame was handy if you were shopping there and food was good.
    https://www.live95fm.ie/news/buzz/limerick-butchers-make-difficult-decision-to-close/

I'm racking my brains, where was that butcher in Arthur's Quay?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm racking my brains, where was that butcher in Arthur's Quay?

Over to the right when you go into arthurs stores.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frank+Frawley+Butchers/@52.6650744,-8.6257196,21z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x952c2d90e039d094!8m2!3d52.6650589!4d-8.6257965

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

I noticed a for sale sign on the Debenhams building yesterday so it will be interesting to see what goes in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Leonita wrote: »
    I noticed a for sale sign on the Debenhams building yesterday so it will be interesting to see what goes in there now.

Dealz has entered the chat......

dashoonage wrote: »
    Dealz has entered the chat......

Oh God no not another one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Wouldn't be surprised to see it lying idle for years. Need to pump massive money into that building, even outside of purchase price.

Giant Penney's maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Jofspring wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see it lying idle for years. Need to pump massive money into that building, even outside of purchase price.

Giant Penney's maybe.

be sham central then :D:D:D:D

Jofspring wrote: »

Giant Penney's maybe.

Move BT into it and knock the block between William St & Thomas St up to Little Catherine St and develop a city centre square there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

phog wrote: »
    Move BT into it and knock the block between William St & Thomas St up to Little Catherine St and develop a city centre square there

Maybe build a fountain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    It's much smaller than BTs building. They're basically the whole block. There's no way they'd move over there to a smaller building that needs to be gutted and fully refurbished.

And what about all the businesses that share the block with BT? Never mind the multiple businesses in the block between Little William St and Little Catherine St. who have nothing to do with BT. It's not really a realistic option.

It's much smaller than BTs building. They're basically the whole block. There's no way they'd move over there to a smaller building that needs to be gutted and fully refurbished.

And what about all the businesses that share the block with BT? Never mind the multiple businesses in the block between Little William St and Little Catherine St. who have nothing to do with BT. It's not really a realistic option.

Ah I know but...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It's essentially the same size as Moons in Galway ie BT Galway and that is bursting at the seams and nowhere near big enough. It'd be a lovely alternative but space is not viable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

Is it for sale or lease? I know Roches stores retained ownership of all the buildings and leased them to Debenhams. I wonder if it could be sub divide into a sort of mini mall with small boutique units and a food court in the old Supermarket section?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Is it for sale or lease? I know Roches stores retained ownership of all the buildings and leased them to Debenhams. I wonder if it could be sub divide into a sort of mini mall with small boutique units and a food court in the old Supermarket section?

Would to see it become a market kind of area, loads of space that could easily become an indoor street, was in something similar in New York and it was brilliant, good street food setups, couple of place to sit and have a drink of course if it was done here it would be phone repair- pound shop- Starbucks - vape shop - random shïte.

Definitely for sale! I had a good look while sitting in traffic. I was very surprised to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't the Roche group also own some of those retail units on Liddy Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Poorside wrote: »
    Would to see it become a market kind of area, loads of space that could easily become an indoor street, was in something similar in New York and it was brilliant, good street food setups, couple of place to sit and have a drink of course if it was done here it would be phone repair- pound shop- Starbucks - vape shop - random shïte.

So basically Arthur's Quay but not crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Poorside wrote: »

Usually those sites grow out of nice old buildings I cant see Roches working.
    We do already have a market that only opens on a Saturday for some stupid reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Looks like st Michael's snooker club is closed. Passed it over the weekend and there were 'to let' signs up on the windows.

Pity. There will hardly be anywhere left to play snooker in limerick.

Advertisement