Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Looks like st Michael's snooker club is closed. Passed it over the weekend and there were 'to let' signs up on the windows.

Pity. There will hardly be anywhere left to play snooker in limerick.

Closed a while back unfortunately. Just Funworld and st John's for snooker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

sioda wrote: »
    Closed a while back unfortunately. Just Funworld and st John's for snooker

What about the Vic?

What about the Vic?

Well gone few years now, was lads from the Vic that were running St Michaels

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Its a real pity, there is literally nothing to do in town bar eating and drinking. No bowling, no cinema, no arcade, snooker and pool massively reduced. We need to get all these things back, bring a bit of life back into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Its a real pity, there is literally nothing to do in town bar eating and drinking. No bowling, no cinema, no arcade, snooker and pool massively reduced. We need to get all these things back, bring a bit of life back into the place.

Im not sure kids really care enough about any of these to head to town for them anymore and bowling and cinemas require big spaces where cost of business makes them unviable and most people dont care where their cinema is anyway.

Maybe cinemas like Everyman or Curzon in the UK could work in the centre where its part of a night out but those cinemas are a niche market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jmccoy1 wrote: »

Bring back the savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Looks like st Michael's snooker club is closed. Passed it over the weekend and there were 'to let' signs up on the windows.

Pity. There will hardly be anywhere left to play snooker in limerick.

That’s gone well before Christmas. Their not To Let signs you saw. M&C property who were based in the red church Henry streeet have moved in there

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭topcat72

Is Phil's Bookshop in town closed permanently or just due to lockdown? Facebook page says permanently closed ?
    Shame if so - although small, it was one of the few secondhand bookshops in the city. Lovely lady also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

These are the BOI branches closing in Limerick.

Abbeyfeale
    Askeaton
    Bruff
    Caherdavin
    Rathkeale
    Roxboro
    University of Limerick

adaminho wrote: »
    These are the BOI branches closing in Limerick.

Abbeyfeale
    Askeaton
    Bruff
    Caherdavin
    Rathkeale
    Roxboro
    University of Limerick

So just 2 branches left in the city total. Last time I was in Caherdavin I was told it was an advise only bank so tbh not surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Little surprised by the UL one. I know as it stands there's nothing happening on campus right now, but when we do go back, I wonder will another company move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The UL is curious, there are 2, wonder which one it is, there is one on the Campus and the other larger one by the Castletroy park hotel which in itself busy enough anytime I'm in there anyway.

MarkR wrote: »
    Little surprised by the UL one. I know as it stands there's nothing happening on campus right now, but when we do go back, I wonder will another company move in?

Mark pretty sure they used to be the campus bank but lost or to Ulster Bank s few years ago. But surprised they don't give it s while after Ulster pulls out

@Berty it's the on campus one the other one is called Castletroy branch I think

So just 2 branches left in the city total. Last time I was in Caherdavin I was told it was an advise only bank so tbh not surprised.

Ya they ran that one into the ground. The BOI statement said that these branches are closing because people are moving to online but forget to mention that a lot of that was forced by their policy to stop in bank services

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya they ran that one into the ground. The BOI statement said that these branches are closing because people are moving to online but forget to mention that a lot of that was forced by their policy to stop in bank services
    So of your living on the Northside it's AIB I unless you want to go to town which isn't always an option

Wonder will the Credit Unions benefit from this ?

So of your living on the Northside it's AIB I unless you want to go to town which isn't always an option

Wonder will the Credit Unions benefit from this ?

It seems you will be able to do some BOI stuff in a post office which if true will be better for most of the Northside than 1 spot in Caherdavin.

Also town was already as close and more accessible than Jetland for almost everyone on the Northside outside Caherdavin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

As long as you can do most banking, lodgements/withdrawals in the post office then it will be nearly a better service. The banks have been a waste of time recently anyway, dealing with machines or being sent over to a phone to talk to someone. At least with an post their are more offices around.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So will they just put a machine in the post office?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So will they just put a machine in the post office?

They say you can do business banking there I think. If so that would definitely require a teller for change pickups and cash deposits if you are making large lodgements

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Viagogo in castletroy still operating ?

• Advertisement

Its not Limerick but probably was frequented by a few of us the shytes sorry The Knights in Shannon is closing.

fryup wrote: »

They were a few weeks ago anyway when a recruiter tried to head hunt me to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭phill106

Its not Limerick but probably was frequented by a few of us the shytes sorry The Knights in Shannon is closing.

Used to be just the people barred in limerick came out this way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

An awful shame but the writing was on the wall when the banks took over a few years ago. Completely ruined the atmosphere of the place with the renovations about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

there has to be a big opening for a decent bar in Shannon. There's nothing but hotel bars, GAA club and the crossroads. Where would you put it though?

there has to be a big opening for a decent bar in Shannon. There's nothing but hotel bars, GAA club and the crossroads. Where would you put it though?

There's a big opening for a decent town centre in Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Knights is the perfect location, it's central with ample parking outside. It was a goldmine until the renovations went way over budget and ruined the atmosphere.

The Lodge on the way into Shannon is a nice spot nowadays, very nice renovations. Its a hotel but also used by a lot of locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

The Knights is the perfect location, it's central with ample parking outside. It was a goldmine until the renovations went way over budget and ruined the atmosphere.

The Lodge on the way into Shannon is a nice spot nowadays, very nice renovations. Its a hotel but also used by a lot of locals.
    Smoking area is a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

fryup wrote: »

Their website would suggest that as a multinational company are still going anyway and selling tickets in markets where they can... Probably got the govt supports for their Limerick based staff etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Is that place going ahead in the cresent or not Nandos?? the site is there for least 2 yrs &nothing done even started yet, just blocked off

Advertisement