Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You’d end up with a really long but not very deep shop unit though.

I think I’d just knock the centre itself. It’s beyond its sell by date now. Limerick 2030 had plans for it but we’ll see what happens there...

Or redirect the main walkway and have all the shops down one side or just one big shop as you walk in the door separate from Tesco

Knocking it works too but that is probably a much more drawn out job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

There will be nothing left in the parkway one of the days & another big empty unit now in the crescent now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The parkway really isn't needed now. Knock it down and built high rise apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

CosmicFool wrote: »
    The parkway really isn't needed now. Knock it down and built high rise apartments

Or a park! The parkway park.

Council need to hook me up with a job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Really? Tell that to the hundreds of people of work there daily. Believe it or not, even with half the stores still closed (which is the case in every SC in the country), it still has a high footfall and a very busy Dunnes Stores.
    dashoonage wrote: »
    Or a park! The parkway park.

Council need to hook me up with a job
    There's a park due to be built in the Groody Valley as part of the residential development of the failed shopping center.

• Advertisement

Really? Tell that to the hundreds of people of work there daily. Believe it or not, even with half the stores still closed (which is the case in every SC in the country), it still has a high footfall and a very busy Dunnes Stores.

There's a park due to be built in the Groody Valley as part of the residential development of the failed shopping center.

I heard that a lot of these small centres can survive with just the anchor tenant and the rest are just a bonus.The Jetland has spent most of its life half empty too which is why I think they need a refurb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭BobMc

Jetland is Dunnes 2nd busiest store in Ireland, the other is Cornelscourt No.1 , dont think they are bothered about the empty units

BobMc wrote: »
    Jetland is Dunnes 2nd busiest store in Ireland, the other is Cornelscourt No.1 , dont think they are bothered about the empty units

Never knew that. It explains why they went all out with the fancy sections in that Dunnes in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Never knew that. It explains why they went all out with the fancy sections in that Dunnes in Limerick

The primary reason with the investment in Jetland and a similar investment in Cornelscourt is that Dunnes own both centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not closing as such, I see Shannon Wholesale Electrical have moved from Roche's Street to Eastway business park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

They had plans for something the don't own. The owner announced plans last year to extend it and bring in M&S, but not a peep on it since.

There was a mono rail interchange planned there as well.

There was a mono rail interchange planned there as well.

Well it put Ogdenville on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Article on the leader saying that 30 Thomas street I think its actually 31 Flanagan's have applied for planning to turn it into apartments shame if so as the new pub renovation was quite nice tbf

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/629028/pub-conversions-to-houses-are-a-sign-of-the-times-says-limerick-publican.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sioda wrote: »
    Article on the leader saying that 30 Thomas street I think its actually 31 Flanagan's have applied for planning to turn it into apartments shame if so as the new pub renovation was quite nice tbf

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/629028/pub-conversions-to-houses-are-a-sign-of-the-times-says-limerick-publican.html

Yeah seems a waste when so many other buildings could be apartments/flats instead. Lovely inside with all the exposed brickwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Yeah seems a waste when so many other buildings could be apartments/flats instead. Lovely inside with all the exposed brickwork.

Once you get over the smell of sewage.

One of the worst dining out experiences i ever had in that kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

oleras wrote: »
    Once you get over the smell of sewage.

One of the worst dining out experiences i ever had in that kip.

I thought Flanagan’s had sorted that. Remember there being issues with the Blind Pig but it was half of the charm :pac:

Going all the way back to Tims 20 years ago how many different names and styles of pub/restaurant have went in there and nothing works.

Would be nice if the kept some sort of small shop or cafe in the front but I can see the argument for giving up on the pub idea

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Going all the way back to Time 20 years ago how many different names and styles of pub/restaurant have went in there and nothing works.

Would be nice if the kept some sort of small shop or cafe in the front but I can see the argument for giving up on the pub idea

The Blind Pig had a really good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

I was up that way last night, the barbers is no 29, so the building on the opposite side of the lane is 30, with Flanagans being 31.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Halfords are closed at the the moment. Signs on Door telling you to go to Galway or Tralee as they are the nearest stores.
    They did close a few Irish shops recently. I didn't think that Limerick was on the list though.
    Anyone hear anything more about this.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Halfords are closed at the the moment. Signs on Door telling you to go to Galway or Tralee as they are the nearest stores.
    They did close a few Irish shops recently. I didn't think that Limerick was on the list though.
    They were very short staffed the other day. One of the female staff was saying it. That is prob why days
    Off & stuff like that

It goes a bit deeper than that. If you try and book something (anything....) for click-and-collect you will only be given the option to collect in Galway or Tralee.

The signs say (excuse the paraphrasing):
    "Store closed until further notice, go to Halfords Tralee if you need anything"

It goes a bit deeper than that. If you try and book something (anything....) for click-and-collect you will only be given the option to collect in Galway or Tralee.

The signs say (excuse the paraphrasing):
    "Store closed until further notice, go to Halfords Tralee if you need anything"

That was always a busy store be mad to close it. Sone other issue I say anyway. Since they reopened I always noticed they always seen to be very few staff on.

I thought the same myself. I know they closed a few Irish Stores last year (and a load of UK Halfords and Cycle Republic closed also).
    I thought that they were finished with their restructuring, so was surprised to see the Limerick Store suddenly closed, and even more surprised to see the website no longer has Limerick as a collection option.
    I shop there fairly regularly as I have a Trade Card which often offers decent discounts. Definitely going to miss it if they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

It'll be back open tomorrow for click and collect

Not letting me order anything at the moment for C&C tomorrow.
    Unless you saying that the website will be up again tomorrow for C&C the following day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Not letting me order anything at the moment for C&C tomorrow.
    Unless you saying that the website will be up again tomorrow for C&C the following day ?

Don't know the details could be similar to before when you just got as far as the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I was told earlier it was because of a covid case. Supposedly just a precaution.

• Advertisement

Poorside wrote: »
    It'll be back open tomorrow for click and collect

Really ?????

Advertisement