Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Re-opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I see the Wickham Tap has a to let sign on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Cherrycoke wrote: »

Not surprised, they were in trouble before the lockdown, great opportunity for someone to make it a decent bar and tie in with Mother Mac's,Nancy's, Flannerys and Crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cherrycoke wrote: »

It had been known for a few years now that Galway Bay had over stretched by buying so many pubs outside Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not to mention the fact that they f**k all with what was previously a pretty dull and dreary pub. It wasn’t a pleasant drinking experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Not to mention the fact that they f**k all with what was previously a pretty dull and dreary pub. It wasn’t a pleasant drinking experience.

Also the practically zero soft furnishings made it a very loud place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Seems like the licence is gone as well. Not being let as a pub but rather restaurant or shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Could of had great potential but they went super cheap with the furnishings. Was not comfortable in there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Could of had great potential but they went super cheap with the furnishings. Was not comfortable in there at all.
    Ya there is definitely a market in Limerick for another craft beer pub besides Mother Macs - which is brilliant btw, but would be good to have another alternative

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The Wickham tap set my partner's hair on fire, so I don't think we'll miss it all that much. The GB pubs are ALWAYS too loud, and their bar managers are always terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Tree wrote: »
    The Wickham tap set my partner's hair on fire, so I don't think we'll miss it all that much. The GB pubs are ALWAYS too loud, and their bar managers are always terrible.

stupid question how ?? were u in the smoking area or something like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Disaster of a spot. I went in there and asked the barman if he had any recommendations and he asked if I had ears of Guinness. Funnily enough he wasn’t being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Ya there is definitely a market in Limerick for another craft beer pub besides Mother Macs - which is brilliant btw, but would be good to have another alternative

There is crew brew on Thomas Street. They make there own beer on site. You can see the vats through glass windows. It's a nice spot. Slightly on the small size but a decent spot all the same. There beers are really nice too. I think Treaty City missed out on opening a craft pub but obviously they wanted to concentrate on retail sales. Pity

There is crew brew on Thomas Street. They make there own beer on site. You can see the vats through glass windows. It's a nice spot. Slightly on the small size but a decent spot all the same. There beers are really nice too. I think Treaty City missed out on opening a craft pub but obviously they wanted to concentrate on retail sales. Pity

What's the story with the Nicholas St. spot. It doesn't do full pub hours does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's the story with the Nicholas St. spot. It doesn't do full pub hours does it ?

Nah and it seems like a missed opportunity. Would add a nice buzz to the street in the evening too

Nah and it seems like a missed opportunity. Would add a nice buzz to the street in the evening too

Licences are a serious load of hassle in Ireland though and if things are going well as is I can see why you wouldn't bother

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

stupid question how ?? were u in the smoking area or something like that??

They hand candles on a shelf behind the long bench seat on the left as you came in the door. He sat down, and his (glorious) long curls dangled behind the seat into the candles on the shelf. Bar man's response was to light some incense to get rid of the smell of burning hair, and after a while, removed the candles from behind the seat.

They hand candles on a shelf behind the long bench seat on the left as you came in the door. He sat down, and his (glorious) long curls dangled behind the seat into the candles on the shelf. Bar man's response was to light some incense to get rid of the smell of burning hair, and after a while, removed the candles from behind the seat.

right space cadets so running the place, prob happened to other people as well i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Licences are a serious load of hassle in Ireland though and if things are going well as is I can see why you wouldn't bother

I think thats it, you can't just walk in there and order a pint. You have to have a tour and then you can have as much as you like. Bunch of us went there for my birthday last year and it was a great laugh.

I think thats it, you can't just walk in there and order a pint. You have to have a tour and then you can have as much as you like. Bunch of us went there for my birthday last year and it was a great laugh.

I've only been once but it was the same. Tour with a pint and more after if you want. That type of license really restricts opening hours ide say though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

I've only been once but it was the same. Tour with a pint and more after if you want. That type of license really restricts opening hours ide say though
    (6) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2018, a licence issued or renewed under this section shall operate to authorise the sale on the premises to which the licence is attached of intoxicating liquor manufactured in accordance with a relevant licence on the premises—

(a) between the hours of 10. 00 a.m. and 7. 00 p.m. each day other than Christmas Day, for consumption on or off the premises, to persons who have completed a guided tour of the premises, where the certificate referred to in subsection (1) has been granted by the Circuit Court,

(b) between the hours of 10. 00 a.m. and 7. 00 p.m. each day other than Christmas Day, for consumption off the premises, to persons who have completed a guided tour of the premises, where the certificate referred to in subsection (1) has been granted by the District Court, or

(c) between the hours of—

(i) 10. 00 a.m. and 7. 00 p.m. each day other than Christmas Day or a day to which subparagraph (ii) applies, and

(ii) 12. 30 p.m. and 7. 00 p.m. on a Sunday, other than a Christmas Day which falls on a Sunday, and St. Patrick’s Day,

for consumption off the premises, to persons who have not completed a guided tour of the premises, where the certificate referred to in subsection (1) has been granted by the Circuit Court or the District Court.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/17/section/1/enacted/en/html

Treaty were the first in the Country to get the new Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Was discussed by the lads alright and may happen but expect it would be a change to Nicholas st. licence, I do a lot of online beer virtual meetups and was discussed one night with Steve

I went in there in the way to Thomond last year and had a pint, no tour. Must have got lucky.
    As regards a tour they could show you a few pictures on a phone for the length of time it would take.

I went in there in the way to Thomond last year and had a pint, no tour. Must have got lucky.
    As regards a tour they could show you a few pictures on a phone for the length of time it would take.

It's a self guided tour so if you only toured your seat and maybe the toilet that's up to you

It's a self guided tour so if you only toured your seat and maybe the toilet that's up to you

But I didn’t pay for a tour. Walked in bought a pint, drank it and left.

The hours in halfords are really gone reduced now, they close @18.00 each day now, not like the times they used to stay open till before .something is up alright.

But I didn’t pay for a tour. Walked in bought a pint, drank it and left.

Your really not getting it

The hours in halfords are really gone reduced now, they close @18.00 each day now, not like the times they used to stay open till before .something is up alright.

Down on staff obviously, there was mention of covid earlier

Down on staff obviously, there was mention of covid earlier

Ya def I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What is the situation with Debenhams?

Advertisement