Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ya thats a real Pity :(

Been in trouble for a few years, used to work there a few years back myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I imagine it was hard to compete with Gleeson's Spar just down the road.

Things like the deli were far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I imagine it was hard to compete with Gleeson's Spar just down the road.

Things like the deli were far superior.

Junkies & Wineo's stealing stuff didn't help much either

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Junkies & Wineo's stealing stuff didn't help much either

Would think that, area is plagued with them since wet house moved to Alphonsus St.

Pity shop closed, used to go there nearly every day, staff were always nice and friendly so sad to see them lose their jobs. Also shop had the most temperamental ATM in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in there last week to use the ATM but hasn't been in there in years. Honestly I thought the shop was very tired looking and was nowhere near the more updated looking spars and is not helped when BWG make the spar down the road from you a flagship store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I also worked there for several years, It was a great shop, with great staff. And some great Customers,who ill remember forever,good and bad :)

In regards to the Gleeson down the road, yes it had a superior Deli, But We held our own. We had our regular customers just like any where else.

In regards theft, Yes we had a big issue with it. For many reasons. But the Owner,manager and staff all have stopped and caught people stealing in that store. From a 8 year old disabled child to a 87 year old lady.

I wish all staff,manager and owner the best in the future.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

Rococo on Thomas St. has closed but the Adare branch is staying open.
    House of Norden is closing its shop on Catherine St. but will continue trading online.
    The Design Atelier on Sarsfield St. has closed and the owner has opened a new place in Nenagh.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

The former spar on henry street (as per above) has had a lick of paint. Anyone hear of a new tenant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw that work going on there during the week

Foreign supermarket I think.

Wet Paint signs on the door the other day were written in another language too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

The former spar on henry street (as per above) has had a lick of paint. Anyone hear of a new tenant?

Still working on it today. They have taken away signage over door and there is some sort of a crest/coat of arms gone up on either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Both Monsoon shops in Limerick are to close, Cruises St & Crescent Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

Has there been any official reporting of how many retail units have closed accross the country as a whole and in each city/region? It would be interesting to see if areas like Limerick have been hit more than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Has there been any official reporting of how many retail units have closed accross the country as a whole and in each city/region? It would be interesting to see if areas like Limerick have been hit more than others?

Was having a very similar conversation with someone last week. Seems that Limerick City is the city in Ireland that has had the most closures in terms of %, and when large towns are included I think only Sligo beats Limerick city.

Limerick was also the City with the highest % of unemployment (although it was nip and tuck with Waterford on that score so Limerick may end up in second place) with the % being very close to double the national average at one point and still is nowhere near the national average.

Lots of talk about new projects, regenerations, massive jobs boosts and similar with regards to the city centre over the past five years but the stats seem to be telling a very different story which is a massive shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Maybe all those jobs from China that Jim-Il-Long went off to get on two ratepayer paid for trips might yet materialise.

Oh! look everyone!!................a flying pig!

National Rusks on the Dock Road closing with the loss of 35 jobs.

Gonna miss that nice smell when you pass! :( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Xtravision Ennis Road is closing after what must be 20 years, they have a 50% sale on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

50% off all stuff?

just says 50% on the window i didnt go in but worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Both Monsoon shops in Limerick are to close, Cruises St & Crescent Shopping Centre.
    Leader reporting that the company will exit examinership soon without the closure of these shops. Future of Accessorise is uncertain but if it closes then staff will transfer to Monsoon.
    kilburn wrote: »
    Xtravision Ennis Road is closing after what must be 20 years, they have a 50% sale on.
    Leader reports that the fact that the company has been bought by Hilco (same company that bought HMV) means no shop closures in the immediate future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

pigtown wrote: »
    Leader reports that the fact that the company has been bought by Hilco (same company that bought HMV) means no shop closures in the immediate future.

They need to check their sources because the ones selling off their stock are the ones that are closing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The massive store closing sign on the window today was enough for me anyway.

Ennis Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

lazios chipper down by Watergate seems closed past 2weeks ive passed it anyone know anything?

Leader reports that the fact that the company has been bought by Hilco (same company that bought HMV) means no shop closures in the immediate future.[/QUOTE]

I would take everything in the leader with a very large pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

VHI are closing their Limerick branch in July. Lack of business in the branch is being quoted as the reason why.

Letters will be sent to all local customers regarding the branch closure and information on the closure is currently available in the branch itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

lazios chipper down by Watergate seems closed past 2weeks ive passed it anyone know anything?

Twas open on Friday. Maybe they were on holidays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Twas open on Friday. Maybe they were on holidays ?

No it wasn't open on Friday.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

elmolesto wrote: »
    No it wasn't open on Friday.

Lazio's was closed this evening too. Would be sorry to see it gone (if it is). Roberto (?) is a nice chap.

Also spotted the golf shop on lwr gerald griffin street are having a retirement sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wasn't impressed with Peckish at all, it'd want to be some serious chicken to contend with the Hut. City Centre needs a KFC.

Advertisement