Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Pamela Scott is closing on Bedford Row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Bentlys Bar in O Conell St closed since Monday nite ! Pity it was a good spot probably a bit far away from other busy spots !

All the furniture etc was being taken away in a lorry yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

NAMA are selling it. Building was owned by Robert Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

apc wrote: »
    Halo on Roches Street are closed although I think the staff have moved to another hair salon

Do you know which salon by any chance?

KCC wrote: »
    Do you know which salon by any chance?

Fringe on Thomas Street I think.
    Next to Eats of Eden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I just read on their facebook that The Stormy Teacup is closing :( Such sad news

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Terrible news. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It doesn't surprise me (Stormy Teacup). It seemed to be catering for a niche enough crowd, and Limerick is just too small. It's a shame though. I was in the city centre this morning for a while, and it's utterly depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

panda100 wrote: »
    I just read on their facebook that The Stormy Teacup is closing :( Such sad news

Where was this place? heard lots but never managed to get there,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

seachto7 wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me (Stormy Teacup). It seemed to be catering for a niche enough crowd, and Limerick is just too small. It's a shame though. I was in the city centre this morning for a while, and it's utterly depressing.

It was a great place. Big shame. Nothing like it in much bigger cities (even like Manchester, London and Paris).
    vkid wrote: »
    Where was this place? heard lots but never managed to get there,

At the end of a lane off Fox's Bow, just past the dog grooming place. I used to like sitting outside watching people come and go with their precious pooches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

God knows, limk could do with more quirky spots like the stormy teacup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Louche Lad wrote: »
    It was a great place. Big shame. Nothing like it in much bigger cities (even like Manchester, London and Paris).

At the end of a lane off Fox's Bow, just past the dog grooming place. I used to like sitting outside watching people come and go with their precious pooches.

Ah i walked through Foxes Bow many times and never saw it, didnt realise it was down a lane off foxes bow. Not a great location to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Is Rios on parnell street closed I see the building is for sale
    EDIT: was open tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If your main service is selling tea/coffee then you're going to have to sell a hell of a lot of cups to make any kind of money, which means you'll need a hell of a lot of people coming through the door. But the Stormy Teacup wasn't geared for that at all. It was quite the opposite, and was all about being quirky and cool and relaxing. I just don't see how their model was in any way sustainable from the outset. I did love it there though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

was the stormy teacup the place that crowd-sourced to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

mossym wrote: »
    was the stormy teacup the place that crowd-sourced to open?

Yes, that's the one. I think they raised about 5 or 7k from the public, if my memory is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭squonk

It's sad to see any business go but the Stormy Teacup just seemed to be aimed at a very artsy crowd. Not that that's a bad thing really but one thing that got me excited about going along was their film night when it was announced. Then it emerged that it was art house stuff. Personally I'd have preferred more variet. By all means do art house but mix it up with some old clasics or comedies etc. as well that would have had a wider appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

I never got the appeal of The Stormy Teacup. My husband is a big tea fan and we went in once. His tea was served in a pint mug on a saucer.:confused: He wasn't impressed by that. Needless to say it was only luke warm served that way and he drank a couple of sips then left the rest behind. There's quirky and just bloody ridiculous. I don't know how they stayed in business so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I never got the appeal of The Stormy Teacup. My husband is a big tea fan and we went in once. His tea was served in a pint mug on a saucer.:confused: He wasn't impressed by that. Needless to say it was only luke warm served that way and he drank a couple of sips then left the rest behind. There's quirky and just bloody ridiculous. I don't know how they stayed in business so long.

I went once a month or 2 ago and had a similar experience. To top it off I had the experience of being served by the surliest person ever. My first, last and only time going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

That stormy teacup is still open. only saw instagrams photos of it the other day from a friends a/c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That stormy teacup is still open. only saw instagrams photos of it the other day from a friends a/c

From Facebook today:

Where is everybody? This is our second last day and we have two customers. At least there is no doubt now that closing is the right decision.

https://www.facebook.com/thestormyteacuplk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Mr E wrote: »
    From Facebook today:

Where is everybody? This is our second last day and we have two customers. At least there is no doubt now that closing is the right decision.

If the Stormy Teacup were to open up again, might be better to try somewhere with at least some passing trade. Or if they have to be in a dead-end lane, then would be better if they were somewhere like the east end of London.

From Facebook today:

Sounds a bit bitter!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Did they see the weather out there today? You wouldn't put your mother in law out in that let alone go out for a cuppa, anyone that was out today was out cause they had to be and wanted to get home as soon as possible not going for a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

From Facebook today:

No wonder they are closing so if that's the way they deal with the public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bored_lad wrote: »
    No wonder they are closing so if that's the way they deal with the public.

I think the problem was that they didn't get to deal with the public often enough, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

An File wrote: »
    I think the problem was that they didn't get to deal with the public often enough, to be fair.

I personally didn't think they were going to be successful from the beginning. Firstly they weren't in a good location people don't just go wondering up foxes bow so people aren't going to just wander across them and its also quite out of peoples way so unless they are in that direction I don't think people were going to go and try it out. I personally don't think they did a lot of marketing and when they first opened I wouldn't have heard of them had it not been for the business opening thread. Then when I did hear about them from people who had been there it wasn't every anything good or special. One thing I'm wondering about is what sort of business plan did they have before opening as it appears they got the majority of their investment from crowd funding. So did the banks not thinkit would be successful or what happened here. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with crowd funding at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I personally didn't think they were going to be successful from the beginning. Firstly they weren't in a good location people don't just go wondering up foxes bow so people aren't going to just wander across them and its also quite out of peoples way so unless they are in that direction I don't think people were going to go and try it out. I personally don't think they did a lot of marketing and when they first opened I wouldn't have heard of them had it not been for the business opening thread. Then when I did hear about them from people who had been there it wasn't every anything good or special. One thing I'm wondering about is what sort of business plan did they have before opening as it appears they got the majority of their investment from crowd funding. So did the banks not thinkit would be successful or what happened here. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with crowd funding at all.

If they had a proper business plan then they could have got the money from the bank, the bank probably looked at their plans and said "no way". The majority of crowd funded businesses never get off the ground and if they do they close within the year.

This kind of business will never make money, hipsters and students sitting around for hours drinking one or two cups of tea will never yeild a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It was purely a location issue in my opinion, they never had a chance in an alley off an alley, how anybody ever felt this was a good idea is beyond me. I hope they look for a better spot and give it another shot. It's a lovely idea but the market is a bit saturated for coffee shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Combination of both things. The location was probably for cheaper rent as profits were never going to be big. If they had rented somewhere in a better location with higher rent and still had the type of people that spend an hour or two with one cup of coffee then they could have ran themselves into serious debt. The most popular coffee shops offer the basics and have a good take away clientele.

Advertisement