Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Is the building part of the Hanging Gardens development? Maybe they're being forced to close/move.

They aren't, they weren't making enough to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Is the building part of the Hanging Gardens development? Maybe they're being forced to close/move.

No, that building is owned by St. Michael's Sporting Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Cafe noir in town closed as of today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Cafe noir in town closed as of today

That's a pity. I loved Cafe Noir for a coffee on Saturday mornings after the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

tippman1 wrote: »
    That's a pity. I loved Cafe Noir for a coffee on Saturday mornings after the market.

You can go to the Nook now.

Apparently its being changed to a pizza place of some description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

cronin_j wrote: »
    You can go to the Nook now.

Apparently its being changed to a pizza place of some description

Hopefully a proper pizza place and not another pizza, kebab and burger fast food spot. Tried Cobblestone Joes pizza recently, best in town id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Jofspring wrote: »
    Hopefully a proper pizza place and not another pizza, kebab and burger fast food spot. Tried Cobblestone Joes pizza recently, best in town id say.

Cobblestone Joe's is nice (bit too spicy though) but Da Vincenzo is in a league of its own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Jofspring wrote: »

Another dodgy indian pakistani turkush place no doubt

bigpink wrote: »
    Another dodgy indian pakistani turkush place no doubt

Dodgy? What is dodgy about them? Kabana and Turkuaz do excellent kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Bind Pig is closed since the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The Bind Pig is closed since the weekend.

Galway bay going in there though afaik

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Galway bay going in there though afaik

I can't see something like Salthouse doing as well in Limerick. Hopefully, I'm wrong! :pac:

I can't see something like Salthouse doing as well in Limerick. Hopefully, I'm wrong! :pac:

The Blind Pig were operating on a shoestring. Maybe the Galway Brewing Company will be able to put a bit more investment into it and make it work.

zulutango wrote: »
    The Blind Pig were operating on a shoestring. Maybe the Galway Brewing Company will be able to put a bit more investment into it and make it work.

Hopefully less of a clique too. Really put me off the Blind Pig, felt unwelcome unless you were one of their buddies.

Seems par for the course with trendy hipster places, which is why they inevitably close.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Salthouse is one of my favourite bars in Ireland. That's just me. The bar attracts a broad customer base and not very cliquey or crusty which used to be peoples opinions of craft places.

Nearly every bar has some level of craft beer on sale now.

Berty wrote: »
    The Salthouse is one of my favourite bars in Ireland. That's just me. The bar attracts a broad customer base and not very cliquey or crusty which used to be peoples opinions of craft places.

Nearly every bar has some level of craft beer on sale now.

I'm quite into craft beer myself. Just not into the hipster artsy scene which does tend to go hand in hand with craft beer or at least used to before it became more popular in other bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Red King wrote: »
    Hopefully less of a clique too. Really put me off the Blind Pig, felt unwelcome unless you were one of their buddies.

Seems par for the course with trendy hipster places, which is why they inevitably close.

Absolutely, not too bad when it was busy but if it was realtively quiet I felt sometimes I was interrupting a private party.

Shoerack in cruises street is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

bigpink wrote: »
    Shoerack in cruises street is gone

They moved out to the Parkway a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It was mentioned by someone a few pages back that Sextons on Henry st was closing/closed.

To avoid confusion and to be fair to the business I just wanted to say that it is still open.

• Advertisement

Good! I quite like Sextons. Would be a shame to see it go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Question - it was reported a few pages back that a Cafe Noir had closed, but not the exact specific one. So... is the one across from Smyths still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Question - it was reported a few pages back that a Cafe Noir had closed, but not the exact specific one. So... is the one across from Smyths still open?

That's the one that was closed afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Limerick91

One across from Smyths is closed

Going to be another Kebab shop

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Limerick91 wrote: »
    One across from Smyths is closed

Going to be another Kebab shop

About time, I hate having to walk around the corner to the other twenty kebab places.

How are so many kebab shops getting permission to open?
    Market Quarter is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are no specific laws or rules against the number of kebab shops that can open in one area, the same way there are no specific laws or rules against the number of coffee shops or discount stores that can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Now all we need is a monorail to bring all the tourists to the kebab quarter.
    I can say with absolute certainty it will bring approximately 10 million euro to the local economy...

The Market Quarter could be a real gem with a bit of vision but once again an influx of copycat businesses have soured the place considerably. Now it is just a rowdy, noisy, dirty mini Temple Bar - an absolute zoo at night and a deserted litter zone during the day.

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    The Market Quarter could be a real gem with a bit of vision but once again an influx of copycat businesses have soured the place considerably. Now it is just a rowdy, noisy, dirty mini Temple Bar - an absolute zoo at night and a deserted litter zone during the day.

Yep, we tend to pat ourselves on the back in Limerick and gush about the Milk Market while ignoring the absolute disgrace that is the whole area around it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fantastic asset for the city, but we need a plan to fix up the general area around it. There's really beautiful old stone buildings that are falling down and in need of immediate attention. There's very poor use of urban space in the surface level car parks. These are council owned and the easiest of the problems to sort out but because there's a significant revenue stream accruing to the council it won't readily address it. There's reasonably new buildings in the area which are mostly terrible. They're here to stay and won't be fixed until market forces come into play. There's the general appearance of the streets too, which is shoddy at best. And there's the Watergate flats. A very poor job at refurbishing them was done in the 90's.

Most of those problems are in the hands of the city council and there are varying levels of difficulty in fixing them. But it must start with a plan, and there isn't one.

Advertisement