Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

zulutango wrote: »
    Yep, we tend to pat ourselves on the back in Limerick and gush about the Milk Market while ignoring the absolute disgrace that is the whole area around it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fantastic asset for the city, but we need a plan to fix up the general area around it. There's really beautiful old stone buildings that are falling down and in need of immediate attention. There's very poor use of urban space in the surface level car parks. These are council owned and the easiest of the problems to sort out but because there's a significant revenue stream accruing to the council it won't readily address it. There's reasonably new buildings in the area which are mostly terrible. They're here to stay and won't be fixed until market forces come into play. There's the general appearance of the streets too, which is shoddy at best. And there's the Watergate flats. A very poor job at refurbishing them was done in the 90's.

Most of those problems are in the hands of the city council and there are varying levels of difficulty in fixing them. But it must start with a plan, and there isn't one.

Agree 100%

That old tall building next to Nancy's and the one across the road beside Cafe Noir could be fantastic if renovated.

Instead they are left to rot. I wonder who owns those sites?

And then there's that awful shell next to the Lone Wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The building next to Nancy's is occupied by Nancy's. Just not used by the public.

Berty wrote: »
    The building next to Nancy's is occupied by Nancy's. Just not used by the public.

It is a pity they don't renovate it. It is a shame to see such a fine building being under utilised like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Red King wrote: »
    Agree 100%

That old tall building next to Nancy's and the one across the road beside Cafe Noir could be fantastic if renovated.

Instead they are left to rot. I wonder who owns those sites?

And then there's that awful shell next to the Lone Wolf.

What was that place next to the lone wolf meant to be anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What was that place next to the lone wolf meant to be anyway.

It was supposed to be demolished 6 years ago under a court order. Not sure why it didn't happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It was supposed to be demolished 6 years ago under a court order. Not sure why it didn't happen though.

I heard from a councillor that the council had bought it recently, but I'm not sure whether to believe this because I have no other source and the particular councillor isn't the most reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »
    I heard from a councillor that the council had bought it recently, but I'm not sure whether to believe this because I have no other source and the particular councillor isn't the most reliable.

Was just gonna ask whether the council own it now or does the same guy still own. If the council own it then would explain why it hasn't been knocked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That structure has stood there unfinished since around 2004! There has been numerous planning applications submitted since then. Some of them bizarre. Including the request to complete the building as a two storey block!

The "developer" behind that calamity was also in control of the large surface car park across the street at one point and proposed an office and retail project. However the scheme was destroyed by the planners due to the poor quality of the design.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The small independebt butcher across from Tesco in the Cresent is gone Wallaces

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

The kids shoe shop and the dry cleaners in the Newtown shopping center have both closed since Christmas. Center was bought recently from NAMA by a local euro millions winner. By all accounts from the staff in both places the rents were put up and they couldn't survive so they closed their doors.

• Advertisement

The kids shoe shop and the dry cleaners in the Newtown shopping center have both closed since Christmas. Center was bought recently from NAMA by a local euro millions winner. By all accounts from the staff in both places the rents were put up and they couldn't survive so they closed their doors.

Thought the lotto winner was outbid?

bigpink wrote: »
    Thought the lotto winner was outbid?

Outbid on the childers road center. Newtown center is near Castletroy college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

I see Jeans Depot on cruises street is now a sports factory outlet don't see that lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

sioda wrote: »
    I see Jeans Depot on cruises street is now a sports factory outlet don't see that lasting long.

Wot kinda gear? Big brands or smaller ones?

Just saw it in passing didn't go in

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lazyman

Your information is wrong here, centre was bought by a group who own retail property else where in Munster, they have met all the tenants this week to discuss the future.
    potential new tenants have been to view empty units and there is great interest from these.
    All bodes well for the future of the centre.

lazyman wrote: »
    Your information is wrong here, centre was bought by a group who own retail property else where in Munster, they have met all the tenants this week to discuss the future.
    potential new tenants have been to view empty units and there is great interest from these.
    All bodes well for the future of the centre.

Which piece is wrong? Here is a link to back up how bought it

http://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/euromillions-winner-dolores-mcnamara-outbid-by-irish-life-for-46m-retail-park-34643923.html

And were the rents not increased? It matters little to me if they were or were not put up. I just stated what I was told. It would be a pity to see those units unoccupied as it is a handy center for everbody living in that community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Currys is now closing on William Street. There'll be f**k all left in the city centre soon. :mad:

Liam Wallace is the butchers
    Wow was there a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Currys is now closing on William Street. There'll be f**k all left in the city centre soon.

Woah that's a big hit

• Advertisement

Curry's closing has been on the cards for ages tbh

Banbury bookmakers in Thomondgate has closed

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lazyman

Which piece is wrong? Here is a link to back up how bought it

http://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/euromillions-winner-dolores-mcnamara-outbid-by-irish-life-for-46m-retail-park-34643923.html

And were the rents not increased? It matters little to me if they were or were not put up. I just stated what I was told. It would be a pity to see those units unoccupied as it is a handy center for everbody living in that community.

My apologies, I did not read your post correctly, I thought you meant the Castletroy Shopping Centre which is what my reply referred to.

All of Debenham's Irish stores have been placed in examinership. Stores to remain open during this period.

Jesus it would be a disaster for Limerick City if Debenham's went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

All of Debenham's Irish stores have been placed in examinership. Stores to remain open during this period.

Source? Can't see it via online media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ah here no....the only place in limerick that stocks clothes for people with a respectable bench press and squat.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Banbury bookmakers in Thomondgate has closed

Gone or sold on to a rival?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Guys I don't think it's fair to place Debenhams in the businesses closed thread. It has only entered examinership and all 11 stores are continuing to trade as normal.

Well I clearly stated all stores are to remain open but examinership doesn't exactly bode well.

They are obviously in trouble with losses of €6.7m last year alone.

They said that they want to protect as many jobs as possible.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote:
    Gone or sold on to a rival?

Closed completely from what I can gather

Advertisement