Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Sorry to hear about Debenhams but I used to buy clothes regularly there and now even though I walk through it a couple of times a month, there is very rarely anything there that I would buy. Don't know whether it's my tastes have changed or their stock but something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

It is always dead in there. The men's section isn't great, they have a much better selection online.

I think the same goes for other sections in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Red King wrote: »
    All of Debenham's Irish stores have been placed in examinership. Stores to remain open during this period.

Jesus it would be a disaster for Limerick City if Debenham's went.

Let me get in there first.

It is rumoured Marks and Spencer is going in there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

elastico wrote: »
    Let me get in there first.

It is rumoured Marks and Spencer is going in there:D

I heard it was going to be another Dealz, with a kebab shop in the basement :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The Debenhams in Limerick is weird. When I worked on Bond St I used to love browsing in Debenhams on my lunch break. It was a fantastic store with interesting things all around. I know that was the flagship store and that the Limerick one won't compare to it but it shouldn't be so awful. There is something so weirdly soulless about it. Roches never felt bleak but Debenhams does.

Though if it goes my little lad will be so disappointed. The top floor has the nearest thing in the city centre to a toyshop and we always pop in when we're in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I love a good kebab/monorail/m&s throwaway joke myself but it's likely upsetting if Debenhams staff read it surrounding the uncertainty of their futures.

Two Cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Debenhams is an awful shop. The men's section is so bad, out of touch and out of date so not surprised. They put absolutely no effort into the stores themselves either....and you kind of have to spend money to make money imo, particularly in retail. Place hasn't been touched since the days of Roches and it really showed and thats not just the limerick store either. Tough on the staff so hopefully the receiver can turn them around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Agree with the above. I'm not sure what Debemhams are thinking with their zero investment strategy.

The interior badly needs to be updated/renovated. The stock also needs improving, same tired outdated lines as opposed to the far superior range online.

It is like they never even expected to stay open too long, kind of a half passed approach to their Irish operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They don't own a lot of their stores in Ireland including the one in Limerick which is still owned by the Roche Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Guys I don't think it's fair to place Debenhams in the businesses closed thread. It has only entered examinership and all 11 stores are continuing to trade as normal.
    Red King wrote: »
    Well I clearly stated all stores are to remain open but examinership doesn't exactly bode well.

They are obviously in trouble with losses of €6.7m last year alone.

They said that they want to protect as many jobs as possible.

Examinership is just a fancy title for the process of renegotiating high rent leases and exiting leases of non performing locations. I'm sure Debenhams Ireland will be fine, but I guess if they are to dispose of some locations we'd hope Limerick City won't be one of them. That said, it's a very dated store that's underwhelming to say the least. It's mostly their own brands which are awful imo. The store needs a complete refurb and could do with opening itself up on it's long Sarsfield Street side. But that would require investment from the landlord which is hard to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bazz26 wrote: »
    They don't own a lot of their stores in Ireland including the one in Limerick which is still owned by the Roche Group.

They have 11 stores in Ireland and Roches own 9 of them, so this is Debenhams trying to get Roches to reduce the cost of the leases on the 9 stores. The way I see it is that they either come to an agreement or 9 of the 11 stores close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A friend of mine who has worked for them for years has told me when the bosses come down they are always talking about what Brown Thomas are doing and that they are competing with them but you can see Brown Thomas have pumped serious investment in were as Debenhams have done nothing.

Even look at Penneys, the one in the crescent used to be empty but since they re-vamped the place it's packed all the time.

I was in the Debenhams in Manchester and to be honest it was similar to our one. A little bit nicer with a bit more investment but still miles behind a lot of other retail stores and looks really outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Debenhams store in the Castlecourt Centre in Belfast is pretty impressive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

The newsagents in Arthurs Quay is closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Cash Convenience on Parnell St, has been emptied out so safe to assume it's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Jofspring wrote: »
    Cash Convenience on Parnell St, has been emptied out so safe to assume it's closed down.

Business's closing down and people losing their jobs is never anything to be happy about however, I can't say I'll be disappointed to see shops like this leaving the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Loosing sounds so bad..

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Loosing sounds so bad..

On my phone and didn't notice that I've changed it just for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Is Jack Mondays in Arthurs Quay gone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Treepole wrote: »
    Is Jack Mondays in Arthurs Quay gone again?

What makes you think it might be?

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    What makes you think it might be?

I drove past yesterday and it looked closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Treepole wrote: »
    I drove past yesterday and it looked closed

Yep, its shut. Apparently it was only ever meant to be a 'pop-up' cafe.

That's a shame. Thought it had great potential. What was the point of doing a pop-up café? I'd have thought with the bus activity down there it would do great business.

zulutango wrote: »
    That's a shame. Thought it had great potential. What was the point of doing a pop-up café? I'd have thought with the bus activity down there it would do great business.

It offered very poor value compared to other places in the area. A very big unit too. Always seemed empty.

Sad to see it go they probably got a cheap lease on the place and if it did well they would have stayed open if not close it and you don't lose too much money. That's a very big unit though and you'd need a lot of people in it otherwise it would feel empty. You also have a good few cafes in short walking difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

No disrespect to Jack Monday's but I felt it was a bit of a half arsed job. It seemed very thrown together. It was nice inside but it didn't look nice from the outside and you need that to catch people's eye. Fair enough if it was a pop up but I don't think it was meant to be one.

No disrespect to Jack Monday's but I felt it was a bit of a half arsed job. It seemed very thrown together. It was nice inside but it didn't look nice from the outside and you need that to catch people's eye. Fair enough if it was a pop up but I don't think it was meant to be one.

Their main shop, by Thomond Bridge, isn't great either. But, to be fair, it's far better than the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

No I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a pop up either but that's what the closed sign says on the door. It's been shut now the last week and closed very abruptly. Hopefully it might open again in the future. I really liked it. Nice and airy and bright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

panda100 wrote: »
    Yep, its shut. Apparently it was only ever meant to be a 'pop-up' cafe.

Prob just wanted riverfest really altho maybe testing the waters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't believe this pop up thing.

There was a lot of money spent there. A Pop up is like a Christmas toy shop or Halloween shop. There was good money spent in that outlet. There were trade vans there a plenty. The Window Graphics along would be in the hundreds of Euro.

They did hold interviews and I know somebody very close to me who interviewed for a part time job. She was told it was a Job, not a pop up job. She would have been leaving a job for this one and they'd have known that.

If it didn't work just say it didn't work or whatever.

Advertisement