Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Aragneer wrote: »
    God, I really hope Heatons closes.

I work in The Crescent and some of the shops in there just are ridiculous. Tbh, I don't think Heatons or Shaws should be in there.

If they want to be a modern shopping centre, those places need to close, alongside that shop that sells tack beside the ladies toilets.

Some other shops there shouldn't be there either. When they sold the retail space, it seems like they didn't know what kind of branding/feel they were going for.

Still annoyed at Eason's being there...there is already a book shop there and it is good enough (I do not work there so that's not why I stick up for it).

Whenever my parents come into The Crescent (down from other county), I always feel ashamed going around when we go to maybe 4 shops and then are done for the day..

I work in The Crescent and some of the shops in there just are ridiculous. Tbh, I don't think Heatons or Shaws should be in there.

If they want to be a modern shopping centre, those places need to close, alongside that shop that sells tack beside the ladies toilets.

Some other shops there shouldn't be there either. When they sold the retail space, it seems like they didn't know what kind of branding/feel they were going for.

Shaws own their unit and have been in the Crescent since it opened in the 70's. It is a modern shopping centre. If you fancy yourself as a top commercial agent and think you can do a better job at getting tenants than Jones Lang Lasalle, you are a wasted talent working in a shop in the Crescent my friend. On the other hand you just might have to accept that not everyone shares the same tastes as yourself and you know, older people have more money than you and like to shop too. While a centre full of soulless multi-chains might appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to people who prefer choice, diversity and who prefer to shop with local businesses.

Still annoyed at Eason's being there...there is already a book shop there and it is good enough (I do not work there so that's not why I stick up for it).

Eason's are there because they are prepared to pay the enormous rent. If WH Smith came along tomorrow and offered the same money, they'd be there too.

Whenever my parents come into The Crescent (down from other county), I always feel ashamed going around when we go to maybe 4 shops and then are done for the day..

I've been to Castlebar and Ballyhaunis. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Urban chic on cruises street has closing down sale signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Aragneer wrote: »

Finally: Ashamed is the word I would use because i bring my parents for some nice day out, where they expect a little bit extra from our day.

Sorry for putting out an opinion but as a young person, I find the crescent underwhelming.

So you work in the Crescent, find it underwhelming, yet still think you should bring your parents there for a nice day out and are then ashamed in it when you still find it underwhelming?

I didn't think the Crescent was meant to be anything but underwhelming. Its a shopping center FFS. It serves its purpose. A nice day out? Christ, Aragneer. You need to bring your parents to better places.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Back to the topic on hand folks. Before posting check your content.
    • Limerick?
    • Business Closed?
    • That's it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wonder if Carraig Donn on O'Connell Street is closing down? It has been closed the last few days with a sign on the door to say to go their store in the Crescent Shopping Centre. What is it with that stretch of O'Connell Street that dooms businesses to failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

panda100 wrote: »
    I wonder if Carraig Donn on O'Connell Street is closing down? It has been closed the last few days with a sign on the door to say to go their store in the Crescent Shopping Centre. What is it with that stretch of O'Connell Street that dooms businesses to failure?

I wouldn't call it failure. They've traded there since the O'Connell Mall days...if they are closed then they got a good run to be fair. I always thought they should have gone for a unit on Bedford Row.

Carrig Donn are paying €309k in annual rent alone out in the Crescent after they lost their case for a rent reduction a few years ago. You can add a further €35k/€40k in rates and service charges on top of that. They're stuck in that lease until 2026. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them streamlining their Limerick operation with those figures :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Townie_P wrote: »
    Carrig Donn are paying €309k in annual rent alone out in the Crescent after they lost their case for a rent reduction a few years ago. You can add a further €35k/€40k in rates and service charges on top of that. They're stuck in that lease until 2026. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them streamlining their Limerick operation with those figures :eek:

No wonder the picture of an elphant I saw was €400. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

I think it would be an ideal spot for yet another restaurant of some sort , especially with the rugby museum opening next door in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

mart 23 wrote: »
    I think it would be an ideal spot for yet another restaurant of some sort , especially with the rugby museum opening next door in a few years.

I think there are enough already, a bit of deversity would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

mart 23 wrote: »

And also the O'Connell Street upgrade work. Any business in that part of town will do well when these things come online in the next 4 - 5 years.

Is Rios on parnell Street gone was closed at half seven tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

The one on the Ennis road was closed around the same time the other night. Handwritten sign saying electrical fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Deco Bake on Catherine Street is gone. Not sure how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

sioda wrote: »
    Is Rios on parnell Street gone was closed at half seven tonight

Was open when I went past it last Thursday

leakyboots wrote: »
    Was open when I went past it last Thursday
    Yeah must have been a once off open today

Jofspring wrote: »
    Deco Bake on Catherine Street is gone. Not sure how long.

That's a pity! Really nice shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

That's a pity! Really nice shop.

Lovely shop but very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Sash clothing on O'Connell street closed yesterday. It was cleared out today.

• Advertisement

Sash clothing on O'Connell street closed yesterday. It was cleared out today.

That didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Yankee's in the crescent is closing

Umekichi wrote: »
    Yankee's in the crescent is closing

Unfortunate but long overdue IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

davo2001 wrote: »
    Unfortunate but long overdue IMO.

Overdue?

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Overdue?

Never busy, demand for overpriced carcinogenic candles isnt what it was 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Never busy, demand for overpriced carcinogenic candles isnt what it was 10 years ago.

I'd say it is more to due with companies refusing to tolerate the crazy rent in the Crescent in light of business not being what it was 10 years ago.

Exeggcute wrote: »

I'd say it is more to due with companies refusing to tolerate the crazy rent in the Crescent in light of business not being what it was 10 years ago.
    They're being forced out - the Crescent wants possession of the unit. That's the story being spun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Townie_P wrote: »
    They're being forced out - the Crescent wants possession of the unit. That's the story being spun anyway.

The Crescent have an application with the Council to join some units together, maybe thats one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sports savers on Cruises street seems to be gone. No great loss in terms of what they were selling, but no t great to see a vacant unit there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sports savers on Cruises street seems to be gone. No great loss in terms of what they were selling, but no t great to see a vacant unit there.

dont think ive ever been inside looked it alright

didnt look great so kept going

Advertisement