Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

Just to follow upon this, it's definitely gone and was being emptied today

Surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

Agreed, I imagine the gleeson's garage/Spar opening up was the final nail, but I don't think he tried too hard for the last year or two either, random opening hours, low stock levels, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sioda wrote: »
    The corner shop on William Street and Foxes bowe is closed and all cleared out.

That's a pity. They did an amazing, authentic biryani there. Even my Indian friend said it was the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

sioda wrote: »
    The corner shop on William Street and Foxes bowe is closed and all cleared out.

They did beautiful macaroons as well, pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Mc Love wrote: »
    Best Thai in Limerick, had a handful of repeat customers but is re-locating to Wicklow. Said business isnt good here. Such a shame, guess its back to Thai Gourmet, is it still open?
    They should re-locate to the old Bindia unit in the Greenpark SC (Ballinacurra). They'd do well there. Lana does great business in Raheen but you do get tired of it and the only other alternative out that way is Chinese really. Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Natural Woodcrafts, top of William street is closing next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I see that the Lebanese restaurant on Thomas Street has closed. I'm not surprised. It ate there once and it wasn't very good. Any time I walked past it it seemed fairly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Moved to cedar house for 4weeks while they refurbish. It on their facebook page. Will be open on Thomas street again soon. I really like the place

yogalady wrote: »
    Moved to cedar house for 4weeks while they refurbish. It on their facebook page. Will be open on Thomas street again soon. I really like the place

There's a 'for sale' sign on it, so I'm not sure they're coming back!

Where is Cedar House?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

across from symths bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

zulutango wrote: »
    I see that the Lebanese restaurant on Thomas Street has closed. I'm not surprised. It ate there once and it wasn't very good. Any time I walked past it it seemed fairly empty.

Mejana does wonderful food. They are not closed down, only closed for renovations. They have moved temporarily to their sister restaurant Cedar House opposite Smyths Bar.

Try the food again really it is wonderful.

I'll give it another go so. I'm fairly sure there's a 'for sale' sign on the Thomas Street premises though. Doesn't seem like they're coming back ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I'll give it another go so. I'm fairly sure there's a 'for sale' sign on the Thomas Street premises though. Doesn't seem like they're coming back ..

I think the "for sale" sign is on the building next door. Most recently occupied by Steamboat Records

I was just thinking as I walked past the other day that the big stone warehouse on the corner with Augustinian Lane is being completely underused as well. It's a large building and the upper floors are lying completely vacant. With a bit of imagination and ambition this could be a fantastic setting for a restaurant or even residential accommodation. We really need to see more investment in the city centre.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I was just thinking as I walked past the other day that the big stone warehouse on the corner with Augustinian Lane is being completely underused as well. It's a large building and the upper floors are lying completely vacant. With a bit of imagination and ambition this could be a fantastic setting for a restaurant or even residential accommodation. We really need to see more investment in the city centre.

Yes, it's a real gem that one. There's a few others that are similar, particularly on Roches Street, but also on Denmark Street and Robert Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Yes, it's a real gem that one. There's a few others that are similar, particularly on Roches Street, but also on Denmark Street and Robert Street.

Its a shame the state most of them are in. They'd be fantastic if renovated and utilised

For it to make sense for a developer to renovate them, there must be some financial incentive. Thankfully, with the likes of Uber, WP Engine, Glass Lewis, etc, there's a whole load of young, professional people looking for accommodation in the city centre as opposed to the suburbs. Rents in the city centre have climbed steeply as a result. I'd imagine in the next year or two we'll see renovations kicking off in a lot of old buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes, but for the owners of that building to sell them it would have to be worth it? Is the building now worth it to them to sell it?

I remember an example people used when NAMA was the buying Force in the country for defunct buildlngs/developments. They used to assess a property on how much rent per square foot it was achieving so a Landlord would be better off NOT renting out a property during the crash because IF NAMA came to buy it they would value the property much less than If the owner DIDN'T rent it out.

I would imagine that building on the corner of Roches Street & Anne Street would be a lot of money to convert into Residential. If they did, the parking area would be a really nice communal garden or if the Ground Floor was Commerical(likely) then it would be a great little secret garden/terrace for a bar/restaurant.

I'd say we are moving in the right direction. The potential rent that a building will generate will drive the value up, and we know the rents are increasing. So, it's beginning to make sense to property owners to either offload or develop. Of course, that's the carrot. There's the stick too, which is the vacant sites levy (although it's a fairly light stick at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭adaminho

yogalady wrote: »
    Moved to cedar house for 4 weeks while they refurbish. It on their facebook page. Will be open on Thomas street again soon. I really like the place

I heard they're moving to the old Crust unit on the boardwalk. That unit had awful problems with drains back to when Delish had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

Interesting blog post about this issue on Catherine Street by Nigel Dugdale here
    http://nigeldugdale.ie/2017/05/24/catherine-st-limericks-ugly-duckling/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Vanquished wrote: »
    I think the "for sale" sign is on the building next door. Most recently occupied by Steamboat Records

The one with Ecco Shoes on the ground floor? Ecco use the upper floor as a showroom for their wholesale supply business. Don't think there's anything happening beyond the first floor and AFAIK those floors were not refurbished and would require major investment. Fabulous building though.

The Steamboat Records unit has been for sale for a while but it's in an awful state of disrepair throughout. There's also a huge warehouse style building at the back of that unit which backs on to Augustinian Lane, but again it's falling apart. Last I heard the landlord wanted north of €450k for it which was a crazy price considering the level of investment required to fix and modernise the whole thing.

pigtown wrote: »
    Interesting blog post about this issue on Catherine Street by Nigel Dugdale here
    http://nigeldugdale.ie/2017/05/24/catherine-st-limericks-ugly-duckling/

Catherine Street could become one of the most attractive streets in Ireland. We'd just have to get the cars off it and remove the overhead wires and crappy lamp posts and before long people would be drawn to it, either to live or just to relax, shop, etc.

Townie_P wrote: »
    The Steamboat Records unit has been for sale for a while but it's in an awful state of disrepair throughout. There's also a huge warehouse style building at the back of that unit which backs on to Augustinian Lane, but again it's falling apart. Last I heard the landlord wanted north of €450k for it which was a crazy price considering the level of investment required to fix and modernise the whole thing.

How big is the whole unit? That actually doesn't seem like a crazy amount of money if a significant development could go in there, given its location. While comparing with Celtic Tiger times isn't the wisest thing to do, it's worth noting that some old residential buildings in the city fetched over €1 million back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭phog

Catherine Street could become one of the most attractive streets in Ireland. We'd just have to get the cars off it and remove the overhead wires and crappy lamp posts and before long people would be drawn to it, either to live or just to relax, shop, etc.

Let's see how we get on with O'Connell St first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

adaminho wrote: »
    I heard they're moving to the old Crust unit on the boardwalk. That unit had awful problems with drains back to when Delish had it.

Cedar house are moving there? That would be amazing. Sisha's on the boardwalk!

phog wrote: »
    Let's see how we get on with O'Connell St first.

I think the initial interventions required for Catherine Street would cost a fraction of what O'Connell Street is costing and could be done in a matter of hours. You'd just have to put some kind of tasteful barrier on each of the blocks to prevent traffic going through. Widening footpaths, removing wires, etc, would take more effort. At least it's not an important traffic street though, so it would still be an easier project than O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I think the initial interventions required for Catherine Street would cost a fraction of what O'Connell Street is costing and could be done in a matter of hours.

IBKx2ab.jpg

In theory ...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think the initial interventions required for Catherine Street would cost a fraction of what O'Connell Street is costing and could be done in a matter of hours. You'd just have to put some kind of tasteful barrier on each of the blocks to prevent traffic going through. Widening footpaths, removing wires, etc, would take more effort. At least it's not an important traffic street though, so it would still be an easier project than O'Connell Street.

I wasn't talking of cost - more what impact it has on traffic & benefits it brings to the street/city.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I wasn't talking of cost - more what impact it has on traffic & benefits it brings to the street/city.

Catherine Street isn't important from a traffic point of view. It's simply a rat run and car park.

Advertisement