Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Another Cruises street closure not good to hear

The council have known it’s a problem for years and have failed to act. So expect to hear of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It was hard to see it lasting with the other outdoor shop a few doors down. Regatta seems to be doing good business in Arthur’s Quay too.

There was/is an over saturation of outdoor shops in that area.

not to mention sport/leisure shops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought that shop had a link with scouting Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Thought that shop had a link with scouting Ireland
    It did upstairs, now any orders of uniform needs to come from Cork or Dublin via post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,452 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fryup wrote: »
    not to mention sport/leisure shops

Plenty clients for what they sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Has Habitat nite club closed down? Noticed that they haven’t posted on social media since last October but their website is still live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

tommy249 wrote: »
    Has Habitat nite club closed down? Noticed that they haven’t posted on social media since last October but their website is still live

You wouldnt know that changes hands/names @ this time nearly every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just passed River Deep Mountain High now, and the shutters were down. Shutters were also down some day last week. Is it closed? Would be a shame, good gear in there.

Passed by again this morning on the way to the Milk Market and shutters were down. I'm guessing it's closed. Does anyone have an update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

tommy249 wrote: »

Christ that place really is a kip compared to the heydays of Trinity Rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Christ that place really is a kip compared to the heydays of Trinity Rooms.

Oh for the good old days of Docs. Really showing my age now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Oh for the good old days of Docs. Really showing my age now! :D
    that was great craic, i remember drinking with christy moore in the bar courtyard one nite there

that was great craic, i remember drinking with christy moore in the bar courtyard one nite there

Late nineties/early noughties, it was the best place ever :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm too old to have known that Habitat even existed, but if it was at the Granary where Docs was (yeah I'm that old) then it was doomed anyways as it's due to be demolished as part of the Opera project.

Late nineties/early noughties, it was the best place ever :p

Late 90s? You're only a child :D. I was there on opening night!. Unfortunately it killed the great Saints & Scholars (where I'd had my first ever pint) when it opened :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm too old to have known that Habitat even existed, but if it was at the Granary where Docs was (yeah I'm that old) then it was doomed anyways as it's due to be demolished as part of the Opera project.

The Granary is due to be demolished? Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,452 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Granary is due to be demolished? Surely not?

Not the protected structure bit.

Late 90s? You're only a child :D

A child who's rapidly approaching the big four-O! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭BobMc

LL reporting Body Shop is shutting up early in July -

And I can’t confirm fully yet but another well known shop could be gone before the end of the year
    Another location in another city got notice and it be a much busier shop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why be all secretive. All you have to do is give the name of the shop. Like you said - You're not confirming etc

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why be all secretive. All you have to do is give the name of the shop. Like you said - You're not confirming etc

Argos are closing the Cork city Centre store and just sticking to the retail parks
    All stores are being reviewed and in Limerick we have three including two in retail parks

BobMc wrote: »
    LL reporting Body Shop is shutting up early in July -

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/427185/sadness-as-the-body-shop-in-limerick-set-to-close.html?fbclid=IwAR21ZA3skOS4-gcU5FhnRqASeX51TbEPoK5f3R-_SyQp51tnhcDJkzSvD6A#.XRSvEZtvCdg.facebook

Just saw that now. To be honest though I'm not surprised. Some of their stuff is nice, but they're ridiculously overpriced.
    I go over to my friend in the UK quite a bit and stock up on the body butters while I'm there. With their discounts and multiple buy offers I end up getting 3/4 of them for the equivalent of what 1 would cost me here (€20+ if anyone is wondering)

It’s not good tho that major Uk chains are leaving tho

It’s not good tho that major Uk chains are leaving tho

The major UK chains are screwed and are closing stores left, right and centre in the UK. 'IF' they close one of the Limerick stores it's not a reflection on Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Retail is a busted flush unfortunately....just ask anyone who works in the transport/courier game!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭phog

I suppose we'll see these closures being blamed on the city allowing cars into the city from the usual sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

phog wrote: »
    I suppose we'll see these closures being blamed on the city allowing cars into the city from the usual sources.

Darez no Parkin!!! U can park in da crezent 4 free!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Retail is a busted flush unfortunately....just ask anyone who works in the transport/courier game!

You have the same dismissive attitude as our local representatives. If you think it is normal for a mass exodus of retail from a city during an economic boom then you are sadly wrong. Retail is not dead it is in transition. In the same way that video and internet did not kill radio/audio, online shopping will not replace retail. Some stores, like furniture/diy will surely relocate outside the city. but in limerick, clothing and shops like the body shop are either leaving or shutting down - this is not normal. These are shops that should stay in cities.

Many European cities around the same size as limerick are not seeing the same closures as limerick or closures in other Irish cities. We have no retail strategy for the city, so essentially we don’t know how good it could be or how bad it can get. Unfortunately we will have to wait for Debenhams, brown Thomas or Penney’s to leave before any action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

mdmix wrote: »
    You have the same dismissive attitude as our local representatives. If you think it is normal for a mass exodus of retail from a city during an economic boom then you are sadly wrong. Retail is not dead it is in transition. In the same way that video and internet did not kill radio/audio, online shopping will not replace retail. Some stores, like furniture/diy will surely relocate outside the city. but in limerick, clothing and shops like the body shop are either leaving or shutting down - this is not normal. These are shops that should stay in cities.

Many European cities around the same size as limerick are not seeing the same closures as limerick or closures in other Irish cities. We have no retail strategy for the city, so essentially we don’t know how good it could be or how bad it can get. Unfortunately we will have to wait for Debenhams, brown Thomas or Penney’s to leave before any action is taken.

Unfortunately when you have old men in charge nothing is ever going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

mdmix wrote: »

I pay no attention to the local representatives...I listened to Mike Ashley, the retail giant, who owns a few stores in this city, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THr7mUP04KA

And i know a few people working in the courier/transport game.

Can you show me the figures on closures on the many cities across Europe, or are you just plucking s##t out of the air?

Advertisement