Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

h3000 wrote: »
    It was previously Schwarz Pharma and then UCB I’m not sure before that.

could be the place so. i was on work experience there years ago.It was very good money @ the there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Sifa was part of Schwartz. Werner Kunz was the boss man

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭topcat72

not a closure, per se, but Easons are closing the top floor on O'Connell street, and trading from th eground floor and basement only. No news on what, if anything will occupy the top floor, where insomnia was. Some talk of them taking over the old Art and Hobby shop beside the, on Cruises street also.

topcat72 wrote: »
    not a closure, per se, but Easons are closing the top floor on O'Connell street, and trading from th eground floor and basement only. No news on what, if anything will occupy the top floor, where insomnia was. Some talk of them taking over the old Art and Hobby shop beside the, on Cruises street also.
    That was the school book& school accessories section that was a big space that cant be right.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

That was the school book& school accessories section that was a big space that cant be right.??

Strange move when they are selling the building I presume they would not rent the top floor would make a good office location though

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

kilburn wrote: »
    Strange move when they are selling the building I presume they would not rent the top floor would make a good office location though

Eason’s are selling most of their premise across Ireland. They are in good financial standing, I presume the cash will allow them to expand elsewhere. No planned closures afaik. Most of there premise are in a poor state currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mdmix wrote: »
    Eason’s are selling most of their premise across Ireland. They are in good financial standing, I presume the cash will allow them to expand elsewhere. No planned closures afaik. Most of there premise are in a poor state currently.

Their plan was to use the rent money from Insomnia to pay for a refurb of the store. Obviously that didn’t work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Was in there a few times for coffee, place had bad plumbing issues. Every time someone flushed the toilet, the whole second floor stank up. Shame because I liked sitting upstairs drinking coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Their plan was to use the rent money from Insomnia to pay for a refurb of the store. Obviously that didn’t work out!

They're doing a refurb of downstairs at the minute
    unless thats where they''re gonna move the upstairs stock to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭topcat72

kilburn wrote: »

I thought that too, but maybe there is better newer office space available in the city. Good location though, could hardly be more central.
    Not a great sign for the city centre, if established larger retailers are scaling back their space. Constant rumours about Debenhams situation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I thought that too, but maybe there is better newer office space available in the city. Good location though, could hardly be more central.
    Not a great sign for the city centre, if established larger retailers are scaling back their space. Constant rumours about Debenhams situation also.

Debenhams UK (separate to Ireland) is close to going to administration if Mike Ashley has anything to do with it so it doesn’t bode well.

Debenhams in Limerick has always been crap too which doesn’t help matters. Menswear is like a bargain basement, the upstairs has carpet from the early 90s and the layout is pretty dire. I understand that as tenants of the Roche family that they couldn’t really do much which didn’t help matters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

TBH, I'm amazed that places likes Easons and O'Mahoneys haven't already gone the way of HMV. I don't know how online isn't killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Debenhams UK (separate to Ireland) is close to going to administration if Mike Ashley has anything to do with it so it doesn’t bode well.

Debenhams in Limerick has always been crap too which doesn’t help matters. Menswear is like a bargain basement, the upstairs has carpet from the early 90s and the layout is pretty dire. I understand that as tenants of the Roche family that they couldn’t really do much which didn’t help matters

I don't think the Roche's retained ownership of the Limerick building. Think it was only Pana in Cork and a Dublin store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

TBH, I'm amazed that places likes Easons and O'Mahoneys haven't already gone the way of HMV. I don't know how online isn't killing them.

I like to read and listen to music. My music can come from spotify, it doesn't matter as it is not a physical tangible product. A book is. And I tried a Kindle, which I lost and never bothered to replace so I will continue to buy books or visit the library. A book is as much about the product as the story and a Kindle doesn't fulfil that. Plus a shelf filled with books is a nice piece of furniture in itself. As long as there are people who think the same way, bookshops will exist. And Amazon may be cheaper but you can't browse like you can in a bookshop. Book shopping is a tactile experience so I reckon it will continue for many years. A visit to Phil's bookshop is a lovely experience too, a hidden gem in the city centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I like to read and listen to music. My music can come from spotify, it doesn't matter as it is not a physical tangible product. A book is. And I tried a Kindle, which I lost and never bothered to replace so I will continue to buy books or visit the library. A book is as much about the product as the story and a Kindle doesn't fulfil that. Plus a shelf filled with books is a nice piece of furniture in itself. As long as there are people who think the same way, bookshops will exist. And Amazon may be cheaper but you can't browse like you can in a bookshop. Book shopping is a tactile experience so I reckon it will continue for many years. A visit to Phil's bookshop is a lovely experience too, a hidden gem in the city centre.

I wasn't talking about Kindle (although I do have one). I've been buying physical books online for well over a decade. Yes there are plenty of people like yourself, but there are still plenty of people who want physical CDs and albums too, yet that didn't save the record stores. Therefore that's why I'm surprised that theyre still surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Driving past Ivans/Ramen on the Ennis Road this morning and it doesn't look good for them, all the windows covered and signs saying closed until further notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Skuxx wrote: »
    Driving past Ivans/Ramen on the Ennis Road this morning and it doesn't look good for them, all the windows covered and signs saying closed until further notice!

That's a pity. Sorry for all concerned. Was in there Saturday evening and it seemed to be quite busy.

I liked their hot food deli and their prepared meals. Always found them tasty and good value.

Comhra wrote: »
    That's a pity. Sorry for all concerned. Was in there Saturday evening and it seemed to be quite busy.

I liked their hot food deli and their prepared meals. Always found them tasty and good value.

going by reviews on trip advisor & other places put it @ 3.8 out of 5 so it was hit & miss. & seemed to have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

going by reviews on trip advisor & other places put it @ 3.8 out of 5 so it was hit & miss. & seemed to have issues.

I tried their takeaway twice and thought it was below par alright. Didn't go back.

The non-Asian food from the main shop was pretty good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

The tripadvisor reviews look very bad alright. I always found the one in the crescent very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I was going to go in there before the cinema a couple of weeks ago, a quick read of the trip advisor reviews made me change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Ramen was poor anytime I had it. The likes of Camile and Aroi have much better food at similar or cheaper prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Looks like Ivans is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The only thing I could say about ramen was the portions were huge, but the flavour was really not great for Asian food.

As for Ivan's, it wasn't great imo, limited range, expensive and a lot of the staff needed a good lesson in dealing with the public. Not one bit friendly or helpful. Turned me off going there. They had some nice wines there in the begininng though, but that range really dwindled.

They were trying to be all things to all men, but kind of failed.

It's a pity it's closed, and it's never nice for people to lose their jobs but the writing was kind of on the wall for a while imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It went downhill after it reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

article in limerick papers about it reopening soon, funding available etc etc.

phill106 wrote: »
    article in limerick papers about it reopening soon, funding available etc etc.

If that was the limerick leader article it was a load of bull**** all false info. The place is in liquidation sure if they bothered researching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

If that was the limerick leader article it was a load of bull**** all false info. The place is in liquidation sure if they bothered researching it.

Wouldn't be unheard of a company to go into liquidation and another one to crop up and replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Just drove past Supermacs in Dooradoyle and it looks like it is gone. The Hungry Lyon has a sign up over the doors now whatever that is. Quick Google search and nothing about it.

Advertisement