Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

With KFC arriving (be still my beating heart) across the road and some pizza joint opening where Rio's were next door, I would say Mr. McDonagh will be glad to leave it to Mr. Lyons, anyway he has plans for a "Plaza" in Clondrinagh, so he will really only be taking his fare up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

jbkenn wrote: »
    With KFC arriving (be still my beating heart) across the road and some pizza joint opening where Rio's were next door, I would say Mr. McDonagh will be glad to leave it to Mr. Lyons, anyway he has plans for a "Plaza" in Clondrinagh, so he will really only be taking his fare up the road.

Apache is going in where Rio's were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

jbkenn wrote: »

Is that plaza definitely supermacs?...if it ever happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Apache is going in where Rio's were.

Apache is a "pizza joint"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

tototoe wrote: »

Yes. McDonagh is building it AFAIK.

Ignore that. It seems Liam Carroll is behind it, so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Realmini

Berty wrote: »
    Dooradoyle one was definitely open at 7pm. Was parked across road reading this forum(exciting life) and lights on and staff in dark polo shirts behind counter.

In my opinion it doesn't matter what the brand is but the location is perfect for a fast food outlet.

I always thought though that store was supermacs owned, not a franchise.
    I think that back then the Term 'Franchise' was a bit loose in Supermacs eyes. Pat McDonagh would have owned practically all the Buildings.
    AFAIK this was one of the 1st times that Pat McDonagh didn't own the Premises. At the time John Lyons had the franchise on the Ennis Road site ,and might have just given back the one on O'Connell St (it was certainly around the same time)
    John purchased the old shop in D/doyle (it was really just a house with the front room converted) and then bought the house next door. This gave him the room to build the shop units, the apartments above, and the Health Centre at the rear (rented to the HSE). He later bought the old "Scrummy's place and converted that into Verona.
    Speaking to John at the time I got the impression that Pat wasn't too happy to have a Supermacs in a Building he didn't own, but John was so tied in with Supermacs that he went along with it.

BTW does anyone else remember that PMPA (an extinct Insurance company) had the Verona building as their offices.....and prior to that they were on the Dublin Road (where the Travel Lodge & Aldi are now).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Barely remember the insurance company but I remember Live95fm out there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

tototoe wrote: »
    It isn't but there's a fair few supermacs franchises in filling stations so could very well be another one there. Pat McDonagh himself has been trying to build a big plaza outside Newcastle West for a number of years now. The town centre is resisting it but no doubt he'll keep trying. The Adare bypass will bring the motorway all the way out to the Rathkeale side of NCW so ideal location for him to suck up all the passing trade. No flies on Pat, shrewd operator.

McDonagh would definitely want to replace the outlets in Dooradoyle and Ennis Road, if only out of spite. Hard to see where he could set up in Dooradoyle though, unless he strikes a deal to go in to one of the filling stations there too. One right across the road.... Will Papa Johns Dooradoyle be affected too?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Planning for the plaza in Clondrinagh is for an Applegree service station with three food offerings, based on other sites in Ireland if theres going to be a burger offering I would expect it to be a Burger King. I dont believe ive seen an Applegreen/Supermacs combo anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I don't understand this bit - how can the menu be "broadly similar" to Supermacs when its not Supermacs??
    The menu is broadly similar to that served in Supermac’s, which still retains five outlets across the city.

I don't understand this bit - how can the menu be "broadly similar" to Supermacs when its not Supermacs??

You sell basically the same stuff, but call it something else. A burger is a burger and fired chicken is fried chicken, no matter where you buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

You sell basically the same stuff, but call it something else. A burger is a burger and fired chicken is fried chicken, no matter where you buy it.

Chicken Hut would like a word with you :D

Will try it out tomorrow anyway, just hope it hasn't changed too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

There's only so many ways you can cook a burger, once the quality of the ingredients doesn't change then there shouldn't be much of a change in the finished product.

Might want to hold off a while yet, was in Dooradoyle last night and they were still selling old stock so was exact same as supermacs. Expect theyll turn it over next week or so to new suppliers. Im expecting Ennis road could be same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

A Supermacs Artic was outside the Ennis Road branch this morning....loading up rather than the usual unloading ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

toushea wrote: »
    Planning for the plaza in Clondrinagh is for an Applegree service station with three food offerings, based on other sites in Ireland if theres going to be a burger offering I would expect it to be a Burger King. I dont believe ive seen an Applegreen/Supermacs combo anywhere.

Could be similar to birdhill and have subway burger King and something else👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭adaminho

toushea wrote: »

I don't think it's Applegreen as they objected to it. They're only a couple of hundred yard's up the road!

adaminho wrote: »
    I don't think it's Applegreen as they objected to it. They're only a couple of hundred yard's up the road!
    It appears there are teo competing plazas so because the plans I looked at involved applegreen demolishing the exsiting station and replacing it with a much larger development. Planning Ref 17173. Ive now seen the other development (Ref 17420)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

The Tommy H Store had the shutters down y/day & there was loads of boxes like they were packing stuff away. Wonder is that gone or just closed for renovations??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Tommy H Store had the shutters down y/day & there was loads of boxes like they were packing stuff away. Wonder is that gone or just closed for renovations??

Saw that earlier today. I'm not sure how it survived so long to be honest. I rarely saw anyone in there.

Saw that earlier today. I'm not sure how it survived so long to be honest. I rarely saw anyone in there.

i thought that did an okay business. you wouldnt be buying a lot of tshirts or jackets though every day. although i did find the selection poor lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

i thought that did an okay business. you wouldnt be buying a lot of tshirts or jackets though every day. although i did find the selection poor lately.

Dropped in to kildare village recently and the price difference was crazy I know it's a retail vs outlet store but crazy

kilburn wrote: »
    Dropped in to kildare village recently and the price difference was crazy I know it's a retail vs outlet store but crazy

That much of a difference:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yes, Kildare Village was a good bit cheaper alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scannyman

Tommy Hilfiger are closed for renovations and will re-open in mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,452 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

scannyman wrote: »

Blue jumper wearers rejoice.

Multi national middle management across the city breathe sigh of relief

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The group who manage the concession are currently hiring for the positions so looks like it's to reopen, like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Is Scruffy Murphy's on Lower Hartstonge Street closed?
    Doors were closed Friday and Saturday night and is closed now as I speak, although there are still deck chairs out.

Advertisement