Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Is Scruffy Murphy's on Lower Hartstonge Street closed?
    Doors were closed Friday and Saturday night and is closed now as I speak, although there are still deck chairs out.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was. Since being reopened as an Indian a few years ago it has rebranded numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Is Scruffy Murphy's on Lower Hartstonge Street closed?
    Doors were closed Friday and Saturday night and is closed now as I speak, although there are still deck chairs out.

I bet them deck chairs are gone walking now :P:P:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Ryan’s Jewelers on roches street have a closing down sale on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Falvins Butchers at Greenpark Shopping Centre is closing at the end of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Skuxx wrote: »
    Falvins Butchers at Greenpark Shopping Centre is closing at the end of the week!

Jaysus u serious they always did a good business
    I thought. Good special offers & all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Jaysus u serious they always did a good business
    I thought. Good special offers & all

Quite surprised tbh good product in there so it's town or the crescent now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Molex in Shannon has announced it is to close by the end of 2020 with the loss of 500 jobs. Not quite Limerick I know, but it will affect a lot of Limerick people. https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1022/1084921-molex-shannon/

Molex in Shannon has announced it is to close by the end of 2020 with the loss of 500 jobs. Not quite Limerick I know, but it will affect a lot of Limerick people. https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1022/1084921-molex-shannon/

Know a few people working here. The knock on effect of this will be huge also. Really sorry to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Know a few people working here. The knock on effect of this will be huge also. Really sorry to hear this.

Never heard of them but clearly one of the biggest employers in the mid west. Bit worrying as it’s been a while since we’ve had a large job setback like this. I hope it’s a one off wobble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads/ladies does anyone know if SANO in delta is closed for good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads/ladies does anyone know if SANO in delta is closed for good?

Looks like they posted about it on Instagram back in August. One of those "Thanks for your support but unfortunately..." kind of messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Looks like they posted about it on Instagram back in August. One of those "Thanks for your support but unfortunately..." kind of messages.

Cheers IO, i dont do the instabookface very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Obviously any closure is bad news but I would imagine for some working there for 35 years+ this is like a lotto win. There will be x amount of weeks for every year and usually pension schemes are designed so you can take it early if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Obviously any closure is bad news but I would imagine for some working there for 35 years+ this is like a lotto win. There will be x amount of weeks for every year and usually pension schemes are designed so you can take it early if necessary.

Employer paid redundancy is typically capped at a fixed number of years - 10 to 12 years usually so they wont be getting x amount of weeks by 35 years from any employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

tommy249 wrote: »
    Employer paid redundancy is typically capped at a fixed number of years - 10 to 12 years usually so they wont be getting x amount of weeks by 35 years from any employer.

I never knew it was capped but if it is I would imagine that's just the statutry part. Most employers pay 5-6 weeks per year . I know guys with a lot less than 35-40 years who came out with €70k + .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

tommy249 wrote: »

Statutory redundancy in Ireland is 2 weeks pay for every year worked capped at €600 per week.

The amount is capped, not the years of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

Statutory redundancy in Ireland is 2 weeks pay for every year worked capped at €600 per week.

The amount is capped not the years of service.

yes but some companies cap their contribution to a certain amount of years service. I cant remember the details exactly on terminology but I knew someone a few years back and it was capped and the max payout worked out the equivalent of 2 years pay ....crap wages and a good few years back so sounds better than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

geotrig wrote: »
    yes but some companies cap their contribution to a certain amount of years service. I cant remember the details exactly on terminology but I knew someone a few years back and it was capped and the max payout worked out the equivalent of 2 years pay ....crap wages and a good few years back so sounds better than it was.

Jaysus! That's awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

geotrig wrote: »

The company I work for caps redundancy at 17 years for union operators. I don't think it's capped for staff in the offices or labs though.

Heard Novartis are letting go 320 people too in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Nelly's Corner on Nicholas St. is closing due to having no gas since February. https://www.facebook.com/NellysCornerLimerick/posts/1138236169715317

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Westward Ho is gone. Quite shocked at that. Rang to make a reservation and was told it closed at the weekend. Instagram account gone too which was quite active. Seems strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Westward Ho is gone. Quite shocked at that. Rang to make a reservation and was told it closed at the weekend. Instagram account gone too which was quite active. Seems strange
    That's very strange, any time I passed by, it seemed to be packed (lots of cars outside)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was busy last week - very odd indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Was in there sunday and toilets out of order so unless it something to do with blocked drains?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

yogalady wrote: »
    Was in there sunday and toilets out of order so unless it something to do with blocked drains?
    Seems more permanent in the Instagram is gone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It didn't look closed when I passed yesterday evening. Plenty of cars parked outside and the lights were on. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1892

Closed by the current management. May re-open under new management

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

1892 wrote: »
    Closed by the current management. May re-open under new management

Wasn't the owners of the Westward Ho the same owners as the Curragower? I wonder are they just focusing on The Curragower and Finnegans now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Wasn't the owners of the Westward Ho the same owners as the Curragower? I wonder are they just focusing on The Curragower and Finnegans now?
    Yep, as far as I know, they owned all three. This decision doesn't make any sense on the face of it, especially when you consider the developments and growth predicted for the Mungret area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They've really revamped Finnegans and seemed to have put a lot of investment in. Even if that old banger out in front is very tacky.

Advertisement