Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Yep, as far as I know, they owned all three. This decision doesn't make any sense on the face of it, especially when you consider the developments and growth predicted for the Mungret area

True. It is sad that all the staff were let go without very much warning or so I'm told anyways. Did they own the Westward Go or just ran it?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

CosmicFool wrote: »
    True. It is sad that all the staff were let go without very much warning or so I'm told anyways. Did they own the Westward Go or just ran it?

Own the westward ho.
    Only run finnegans for a group of investors from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I know the Curraghgower and Finnegans are always busy.

Was the Westward Ho quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Not really a Limerick business but RTE have announced that they are closing their limerick studios and moving Lyric Fm to Cork and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

tommy249 wrote: »
    Not really a Limerick business but RTE have announced that they are closing their limerick studios and moving Lyric Fm to Cork and Dublin
    A small blow to Limerick, but it's for the greater good - at least Lyric won't be closing now. Mornings wouldn't be the same without Marty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Will that be the end of Will Leahy on the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Westward Ho is gone. Quite shocked at that. Rang to make a reservation and was told it closed at the weekend. Instagram account gone too which was quite active. Seems strange

Was in there on Saturday afternoon and it was busy enough with tables booked out for dinner.

Hoping it's just a temporary closure, it was a great spot for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quite surprised at the Ho TBH.
    Was always quite busy anytime I was there and with the quality of their food I'm not at all surprised.
    We are a big fan of their family platter, but all their offerings were top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

banie01 wrote: »
    Was always quite busy anytime I was there and with the quality of their food I'm not at all surprised.
    We are a big fan of their family platter, but all their offerings were top notch.

I'm in a bit of shock.

We're out in Annacotty, could literally walk to Finnegans, but would rather drive to Mungret and not have a drink because the food was so much better than Finnegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

A small blow to Limerick, but it's for the greater good - at least Lyric won't be closing now. Mornings wouldn't be the same without Marty!

did Marty broadcast from Limerick ?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    did Marty broadcast from Limerick ?
    He did as far as I know. He regularly tweeted pictures of Limerick sunrises from the roof of the Lyric RTE building anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

banie01 wrote: »

From what I've heard from locals is that they wanted it to be more about the food and so neglected the local population in terms of it being a local pub.

Sad really because when I was growing up the place used to be very busy as well as the place across the road from it. Mungret really does need a local pub that isnt Russells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I'm in a bit of shock.

We're out in Annacotty, could literally walk to Finnegans, but would rather drive to Mungret and not have a drink because the food was so much better than Finnegans.

I think it was the food that was terrible. I ate in their and I just didn't like it. In a group of 20 last night and 17 did not like the food. Mind you 3 loved it.the bucket has much better food

Mc Love wrote: »
    From what I've heard from locals is that they wanted it to be more about the food and so neglected the local population in terms of it being a local pub.

Sad really because when I was growing up the place used to be very busy as well as the place across the road from it. Mungret really does need a local pub that isnt Russells.
    Ya I'm surprised that there isn't a pub in the region, there is surely the population (and projected growth in population) to sustain one. Russells falls in between two stools (pardon the pun) and is a bit of a dump imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Agreed DMC - its the age of the super pub but I never liked it. Dont like Collins either. Prefer pubs that have a bar and lounge and they're separated. The Ho was like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Mc Love wrote: »
    Agreed DMC - its the age of the super pub but I never liked it. Dont like Collins either. Prefer pubs that have a bar and lounge and they're separated. The Ho was like this.
    Yeah I'm the same. Live near Collins but not mad about it. Feels too open or something

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Ya I'm surprised that there isn't a pub in the region, there is surely the population (and projected growth in population) to sustain one. Russells falls in between two stools (pardon the pun) and is a bit of a dump imo

Food used to be good in russells. Lately it's not. Had a pdoblem with takeaway recently and the staff were pure useless. Didn't give a ****e. Management never even bothered to get back to me either. Won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Yellow Lemon on Denmark Street(I think?) has closed. Citing a decline in daytime footfall as the reason. I am surprised to hear them citing "declining daytime footfall", when all the evidence points to the contrary. From what I can see, Limerick seems busier than it has in years, and the opening of numerous cafes in recent times suggests that is the case. Maybe it is the increased competition, in the form of these new cafes, that has led to the demise of The Yellow Lemon

Place is for sale via Bidx1 which means that the banks took it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Place is for sale via Bidx1 which means that the banks took it

While that's possible, it's not always the case that a property on auction by Bidx1 is a repossession case. Anyone can submit a property to them for sale.

On topic of businesses closing, is Subway on Henry Street gone? I walked past today and noticed that all the posters are gone off the windows, the place is in darkness and door closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

source wrote: »
    While that's possible, it's not always the case that a property on auction by Bidx1 is a repossession case. Anyone can submit a property to them for sale.

On topic of businesses closing, is Subway on Henry Street gone? I walked past today and noticed that all the posters are gone off the windows, the place is in darkness and door closed.

that subway wasnt always the best

I found it to be very poor quality compared to the rest. not that suprised. Lot better around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

He did as far as I know. He regularly tweeted pictures of Limerick sunrises from the roof of the Lyric RTE building anyway..

Are you joking? The man lives in a 3million Euro house alongside other celebs in Malahide. Do you think he picks his way through the broken glass, puke and piss around Smith's of a morning?
    I think you'll find some flunkey has to run the Twitter account and do everything else. Marty'll be grand. It's the poor eejit in Limerick making him look good will be searching for a new job.

Why would anyone need to sell via Bid X 1 right now when the city is booming?, Limerick business don't let just anyone buy commercial property and that goes for the auctioneers in Limerick too, spent eighteen months from mid 2014 trying to buy two different commercial properties in that very area, bid the asking price, still couldn't get them, one ( cassa nova) sold afterwards for less than i offered rooneys

Two likely explanations here

1. Repossession?

2 repossession and Current owner is acting in a Beligerent way and no local agents want the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

bid the asking price, still couldn't get them, one ( cassa nova) sold afterwards for less than i offered rooneys
    A common tale I'm afraid ;)

Why would anyone need to sell via Bid X 1 right now when the city is booming?, Limerick business don't let just anyone buy commercial property and that goes for the auctioneers in Limerick too, spent eighteen months from mid 2014 trying to buy two different commercial properties in that very area, bid the asking price, still couldn't get them, one ( cassa nova) sold afterwards for less than i offered rooneys

Two likely explanations here

1. Repossession?

2 repossession and Current owner is acting in a Beligerent way and no local agents want the sale?

That may be, but I'm just saying from my experience working within the Debt Management world, Bidx1 doesn't just do repossession cases. Just because it's being sold on Bidx1 doesn't automatically mean that the property owners were in difficulty with their lender. It's possible, but not always the case.

That may be, but I'm just saying from my experience working within the Debt Management world, Bidx1 doesn't just do repossession cases. Just because it's being sold on Bidx1 doesn't automatically mean that the property owners were in difficulty with their lender. It's possible, but not always the case.

Are you familiar with this property and location?

Not main St or posh in the least but businesses opening everywhere now, seems odd that they didn't keep the sale local?

Are you familiar with this property and location?

Not main St or posh in the least but businesses opening everywhere now, seems odd that they didn't keep the sale local?

I'm familiar with the property and the area, I'm not saying it's not a case where an Asset Receiver is processing the sale, just that it MAY not be and we should probably be careful throwing around accusations like the ones you did without any proof, as it could be damaging to the owner's reputation if it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Just heard today its being taken over by Russell's??

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Plenty of dramz on fbook regarding the closure of Giftworks, Parkway. Many customers have paid in full for items they have yet to receive, some of which are expected Xmas morning. Fbook page deleted and phone line disconnected. A shocking thing to do to people at this time of year. Disgraceful

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Plenty of dramz on fbook regarding the closure of Giftworks, Parkway. Many customers have paid in full for items they have yet to receive, some of which are expected Xmas morning. Fbook page deleted and phone line disconnected. A shocking thing to do to people at this time of year. Disgraceful

Spotted that. To be honest I didn't even know the place existed until now and I'm in the Parkway at least once a week. 3 times this week. Its Limerick Now FB page are having a field day with the news.

I'm struggling to understand how a business based in a shopping centre can just close up disappear like that overnight though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Spotted that. To be honest I didn't even know the place existed until now and I'm in the Parkway at least once a week. 3 times this week. Its Limerick Now FB page are having a field day with the news.

I'm struggling to understand how a business based in a shopping centre can just close up disappear like that overnight though?

it was ongoing for a while now a few months he was just fobbing people off with their orders saying it is delayed & be delivered next week.

Advertisement