Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anne Summers will be closing soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Shack Store in limerick is gone

The Shack Store Limerick
    47 mins ·

CUSTOMER NOTICE:
    We are very sorry to report that we have decided to close our Limerick store effective from the 1st Feb. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Limerick and would like to sincerely thank all our staff and customers who have supported us down through the years. Our other store in Cork will continue to trade as normal and any orders given to this store will be honoured from our store in Cork. Thank you!
    For any further information please contact THE Shack Cork on 021 4274362.

There really is something fundamentally rotten in Limerick city centre. We have an oversupply of this type of low calibre, gimmicky businesses and a major undersupply of the household names that help drive footfall. Now I'm not naive enough to think that the likes of Marks & Spencer etc. are the sole answer to our problems. There clearly needs to be a far more interesting mix and variety of retailers and other services to turn the fortunes of the city centre around. This isn't going to be possible until we get more people living and working there.

The usual suspects will be running to the likes of the Limerick Leader and Live95 next week bemoaning the parking and traffic situation. Although apart from the ability to park in the shop, I'm not sure what more could've been achieved in terms of car access. Limerick has reached peak car penetration. There simply isn't room for any more. The city centre is already under siege from ignorant and idiotic motorists abandoning their cars wherever they feel like. It's high time we tried a different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Vanquished wrote: »
    There really is something fundamentally rotten in Limerick city centre. We have an oversupply of this type of low calibre, gimmicky businesses and a major undersupply of the household names that help drive footfall. Now I'm not naive enough to think that the likes of Marks & Spencer etc. are the sole answer to our problems. There clearly needs to be a far more interesting mix and variety of retailers and other services to turn the fortunes of the city centre around. This isn't going to be possible until we get more people living and working there.

The usual suspects will be running to the likes of the Limerick Leader and Live95 next week bemoaning the parking and traffic situation. Although apart from the ability to park in the shop, I'm not sure what more could've been achieved in terms of car access. Limerick has reached peak car penetration. There simply isn't room for any more. The city centre is already under siege from ignorant and idiotic motorists abandoning their cars wherever they feel like. It's high time we tried a different approach.

The parking thing annoys the bejesus out of me. There is no parking issue, there is loads of it and it's generally prices well. Problem is the perception is now there among many that parking is a problem. It's not.

I can't see a lot of retailers looking at opening until the streetscape and general feeling the city centre improves. O'Connell Street is a prime example. It's a dump, and the opera centre site on Patrick Street is derelict, and is the main artery into the city. They still have those awful slogans they used for the 2020 bid stuck on the front of the buildings. They look horrendous and some are painted over so the "slogans" make no sense.

The litter is also a big turn off.

People mention scumbags and homeless people but I personally rarely see scumbags in town for the last few years. Homelessness is a much smaller issue here than it is in Dublin for example.i was hounded in the Grafton Street area last week by several homeless people. I don't really get that here... But again the perception is out there

Even the simple things are not looked after. The only Christmas tree in the city centre in December looked miserable for the entire Christmas period. Cheap nasty and lacking decorations outside penny's. Leaning to one side for most of it, and noone bothered to even straighten it up. Things like this make it look worse and do not help the atmosphere around town for a special time of the year. The city centre looked awful this year.

The existing retailers also have a lot to answer for in this regard, although some have upped their game. Shop fronts and buildings and the general appearance outside businesses is just woeful in most cases. Penny's a complete kip, similarly Debenhams. The Dunnes on Henry Street needs a good power wash, it hasn't been cleaned since it opened I'd imagine. Cruises Street is horrible for the exact same reason. Similarly Denmark street and the other side streets down there.

But if the council wont look after the streetscape, why would business bother. They all seem to have forgotten that you have to spend money to make money.

Limerick can have all the marketing plans they like but the reality on the ground is a bit different and currently there are only small pockets of the city centre that are nice to walk around or spend time. You would imagine potential business looking at opening in Limerick see the exact same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

tototoe wrote: »
    The parking thing annoys the bejesus out of me. There is no parking issue, there is loads of it and it's generally prices well. Problem is the perception is now there among many that parking is a problem. It's not.

I can't see a lot of retailers looking at opening until the streetscape and general feeling the city centre improves. O'Connell Street is a prime example. It's a dump, and the opera centre site on Patrick Street is derelict, and is the main artery into the city. They still have those awful slogans they used for the 2020 bid stuck on the front of the buildings. They look horrendous and some are painted over so the "slogans" make no sense.

The litter is also a big turn off.

People mention scumbags and homeless people but I personally rarely see scumbags in town for the last few years. Homelessness is a much smaller issue here than it is in Dublin for example.i was hounded in the Grafton Street area last week by several homeless people. I don't really get that here... But again the perception is out there

Even the simple things are not looked after. The only Christmas tree in the city centre in December looked miserable for the entire Christmas period. Cheap nasty and lacking decorations outside penny's. Leaning to one side for most of it, and noone bothered to even straighten it up. Things like this make it look worse and do not help the atmosphere around town for a special time of the year. The city centre looked awful this year.

The existing retailers also have a lot to answer for in this regard, although some have upped their game. Shop fronts and buildings and the general appearance outside businesses is just woeful in most cases. Penny's a complete kip, similarly Debenhams. The Dunnes on Henry Street needs a good power wash, it hasn't been cleaned since it opened I'd imagine. Cruises Street is horrible for the exact same reason. Similarly Denmark street and the other side streets down there.

But if the council wont look after the streetscape, why would business bother. They all seem to have forgotten that you have to spend money to make money.

Limerick can have all the marketing plans they like but the reality on the ground is a bit different and currently there are only small pockets of the city centre that are nice to walk around or spend time. You would imagine potential business looking at opening in Limerick see the exact same things.

Absolutely Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

I agree with the parking point, enough carparks and on street parking (1e per hour is fair enough) around, I think people are expecting spaces right outside the shop!

It's a shame Limerick city is thae way it is especially as Limericks 3rd city. We have such a nice river that we could have built around and tapped into the georgian buildings a bit better, I think the council should have protected these buildings a bit better.

I think at this stage Cruises Street needs to be knocked and replaced, it's not fit for purpose.

Also agree with the point on how dirty buildings are, I think it's the responsibility of the council to enforce some rule that each building needs to be properly cleaned twice per year or else be fined until they do.

The council are great at talking but something needs to change or else more businesses are to close, been honest if i was setting up a business i wouldnt do it in the city centre the way it is now.

• Advertisement

All great points raised above. These issues have been flagged dozens if not hundreds of times with the council and councillors. What more can people do if they’re dead against doing anything?

I hate using the C word but I think the whole Council is corrupt. It’s just an old boys club whereby if you rub my back I’ll rub yours and see who can get the biggest pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Anne Summers will be closing soon too.

They are there a long time.

Where am i going to get my haloween costume??:D:D

They are there a long time.

Where am i going to get my haloween costume??:D:D

They might be doing a closing down sale! You can plan ahead! :D

They might be doing a closing down sale! You can plan ahead! :D
    :D:D:D

Not Really surprised though. its a sign of the times with online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Asked two business owners why they wouldn't invest in the city centre and the common thing between both was the council and lack of help from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Might have missed this but Cafe Sofia is closed

Mc Love wrote: »
    Might have missed this but Cafe Sofia is closed
    That area where she is is already too congested with coffee shops. not that much footfall to sustain them all. want to be really special to stand out.

Another business closing Shoe Zone
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/514401/limerick-shoe-shop-set-to-close-down.html?fbclid=IwAR3auODXvdpDPWDyF9Q8iAg0q6WyU5qlaTS5B-Li3zXa93hCA0d_vAiPtWY#.Xjm0QbuhsP4.facebook

The town is really starting to turn in to a ghost town. All you see is shops closing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Getting fairly grim in Cork as well. Pana is struggling.

Shoe Zone have been closing down since the day they opened. Always having closing down sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Retail is changing. City Centres increasingly unviable for retailers. Limerick was ahead of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

O'Briens on Thomas Street is closing tomorrow.

Is that the sandwich place??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Is that the sandwich place??

Yes. Saw A tweet earlier about the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I never know why obriens are so popular, ridiculously overpriced for well below average sandwiches. The one in the crescent is the prime example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Was there some hike in rates that so many places are closing in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Was there some hike in rates that so many places are closing in February?

It's common enough practice, get the extra money in over Christmas and notify whoever needs to know in January, close the doors in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Given its location on the intersection of Thomas St. and Catherine St. this unit is in a very prominent location, and I'm a bit surprised that it's closing. Hopefully it won't be for long, and with Uber across the way, there might be some demand for a decent offering in there

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Given its location on the intersection of Thomas St. and Catherine St. this unit is in a very prominent location, and I'm a bit surprised that it's closing. Hopefully it won't be for long, and with Uber across the way, there might be some demand for a decent offering in there

Having Uber across the road means nothing. They get all their food delivered and paid by the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Their food being a bit sh!t3 might be a factor, or that it's a bit of kip. For quite a long time I've passed it and not once considered going in there.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

O Briens only had about 4 seats inside and the rest outside. Means a lot would need to be take away food. Prices are scandalous too for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When did Azur close?

Was one of Limerick's better restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

osarusan wrote: »
    When did Azur close?

Was one of Limerick's better restaurants.

Still open, just rebranded as Rossi's, still the same great food and one of the better value for money menus around.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Is Flanagans on Thomas Street still operating? The bar and restaurant is currently up on daft seeking a new operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

oleras wrote: »
    Still open, just rebranded as Rossi's, still the same great food and one of the better value for money menus around.

Ok that's good, saw it yesterday and was surprised it was gone. No mention of the old Azur brand there.

Is it the same menu? It wasn't particularly Italian in the past.

Advertisement