Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

tommy249 wrote: »
    Is Flanagans on Thomas Street still operating? The bar and restaurant is currently up on daft seeking a new operator.

Ya , still open .

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Ya , still open .

They must be trying to get out of town

: https://www.daft.ie/5925344

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Off the top of my head there are eight other shops with a similar (and imo, better) offering than O'Briens within a minute walk from the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Retail is changing. City Centres increasingly unviable for retailers. Limerick was ahead of its time.
    Online shopping and poor consumer sentiment due to Brexit and other uncertainties have made the past 18 months in retail brutal. But the main problem remains rent and rates. Landlords are oblivious to the realities on the ground and still expect to achieve top dollar for their premises. They'd see their tenant close before reducing rent. That's why retailers are closing, and why the same units around town are vacant for years. That's why new retailers are not opening. Problem now though it's hard to see many of these latest closures being replaced. You'd want to be off your head to open a retail business in town now with all it's problems.

As for the council, utterly useless. Rates need to be linked to turnover, landlords shouldn't have free reign to pick figures out of the air and charge what they like, licensing needs to be introduced to control what businesses are opening and where. The council are asleep at the wheel.

I'll make a prediction: In 5 to 10 years landlords and council's up and down the country will be PAYING retailers to occupy their units. That's how bad it's going to get. I can see Limerick City centre being among the worst hit because the smaller retailers will die off and there aren't enough major retailers/anchor tenants to sustain it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick city center is in the sh!t because nobody lives there. Office workers keep cafes/restaurants open during the day, but they are nearly all closed by 6pm when the office workers go home. New apartment blocks (not social accommodation BTW) are needed in or near the city center. But instead were getting 800 houses in Mungret and continued expansion of housing estates out in Castletroy.

The Canal Bank development (which has been resubmitted to ABP), while a little far out would be a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Did I read somewhere here recently that Hook and Ladder in Castletroy is due to be moved? Or am I getting mixed up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Cleaned up the thread. Keep it on topic. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

Johnny Fitz's formally Norberts on High street closed. Also Flanagans townhouse on Thomas street has rebranded as Toro 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Haven't been in the Crescent in ages. When did Elvery's shut up shop?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jaxxx wrote: »

When they moved into a newer, better shop on the other side of the shopping centre. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

When they moved into a newer, better shop on the other side of the shopping centre. :pac:

Oh whereabouts? I was only down the KFC end today. Trying to think of a place on the other end.. The only place I can think of which I think closed down, is where Heatons was? Or have I put 2+2 together and gotten 7?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh whereabouts? I was only down the KFC end today. Trying to think of a place on the other end.. The only place I can think of which I think closed down, is where Heatons was? Or have I put 2+2 together and gotten 7?

They're in one of the newer units beside The Gap and McCabe's pharmacy, opposite Ulster Bank. Heaton's is going by the name Brand Max now, which looks like a rip-off of TK Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Happened to me at Christmas. Only found out after spending all my cash in JD and Lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Anyone know what the situation is with Nellys corner, are the owners gonna do something with it? It's been closed a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Limerick Sports Store on William St is set to close in the coming months. Sale starting to reduce stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ah jaysus..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Comhra wrote: »
    Unfortunate, but at least it's due to retirement and he hasn't actually been "forced out" of business.
    On another note, I noticed that the doughnut place on O'Connell St. beside Subway looked like it was closed when I passed by during the weekend. No great loss IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

O'Briens mentioned in the article as one of the family businesses closed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

remember the sale he had when the place went on fire. the old centra shop long time ago.

I remember it well. Got £5 tracksuit pants and £10 trainers out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Comhra wrote: »

That's a pity. I've gone back to shopping there and Gleesons over the last few years as the kids started to get into sports. 2 great Limerick own sports stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

That's a pity. I've gone back to shopping there and Gleesons over the last few years as the kids started to get into sports. 2 great Limerick own sports stores.

Munster getting greedy and making Life Style Sports their exclusive retail partner must be killing the likes of Limerick Sports Store and Gleesons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Munster getting greedy and making Life Style Sports their exclusive retail partner must be killing the likes of Limerick Sports Store and Gleesons.

He's closing because he's retiring. It's got nothing to do with Munster or Lifestyle. These stores never relied on selling Munster gear anyways. They sell to people actually taking part in sports rather than looking for fashion items.

No fear of limerick sports store either he is far from cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

No fear of limerick sports store either he is far from cheap.

Yeah, ridiculous the way they tried to sell stuff for more than they bought it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

damowill wrote: »
    Anyone know what the situation is with Nellys corner, are the owners gonna do something with it? It's been closed a while now

Planning application lodged with Council
    http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2010/0
    Protected structure

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Zo zabb closed according to their Facebook page. Very sad as I loved it

yogalady wrote: »
    Zo zabb closed according to their Facebook page. Very sad as I loved it
    :confused::confused::confused::confused: who are they ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

:confused::confused::confused::confused: who are they ??

Thai restaurant above The Glen Tavern. Nice food, terrible decor.

Advertisement