Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It’s a shame that the jobs are gone but Debenhams was a terrible shop, it was like the 1980s in there

It’s going to be very hard to get a replacement, serious work needed to make fit for purpose.
    Best case scenario Penney’s will buy it like they did the surrounding buildings in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It’s going to be very hard to get a replacement, serious work needed to make fit for purpose.
    Best case scenario Penney’s will buy it like they did the surrounding buildings in Cork.

and fill it with more cheap fast fashion... :( ?

Debenhams wasn't exciting but did have the odd stylish bit of clothing if you looked hard enough. I got a decent pair of jeans there recently without expecting to find them. It was a safe option for decent tshirts, jocks, socks, some formal stuff etc. Limerick city centre will be disaster with that gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My money is on another Star Bucks opening up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Icbaby

I'm no retail analyst, but my own experiences of BT (admittedly, mainly through my girlfriend) are that they offer something completely different from the majority of department stores. They sell themselves on the whole shopping "experience" and, for better or worse, a lot of people aspire to shop there. The BT shopping bag is almost a status symbol at this stage! :confused: Fair play to their marketing department, I guess. None of that can be replicated by online shopping, so I believe there will always be a market for the likes of BT and they should remain safe and sound. If they can afford to pay their staff wages during this, I would say they're not too badly off!
    This is very true, I bought Xmas presents online for BTs this year as I couldn’t get into the city and had it gift wrapped and it came with no bags for the presents so I had to go into the store with my receipt for the gift wrapped presents to ask for bags because really who wants a BT present without the bag! Silly but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I'm no retail analyst, but my own experiences of BT (admittedly, mainly through my girlfriend) are that they offer something completely different from the majority of department stores. They sell themselves on the whole shopping "experience" and, for better or worse, a lot of people aspire to shop there. The BT shopping bag is almost a status symbol at this stage! :confused: Fair play to their marketing department, I guess. None of that can be replicated by online shopping, so I believe there will always be a market for the likes of BT and they should remain safe and sound. If they can afford to pay their staff wages during this, I would say they're not too badly off!

Honestly the BT shopping experience is nothing to write home about, it's grand but certainly not the reason l'd go there, I've been a retail manager for over 20 years and that place has no appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Great loyalty card scheme and sales to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 8 debs95

It’s going to be an awful eye sore in the middle of the city now, they’ll be hard pressed to find another tenant for the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

debs95 wrote: »
    It’s going to be an awful eye sore in the middle of the city now, they’ll be hard pressed to find another tenant for the building.

There is no big retail partner like left to go there is there ??& that will occupy all three main floors & basement as well

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

There is no big retail partner like left to go there is there ??& that will occupy all three main floors & basement as well

I heard Marks & Spencer’s are going in there*

*joke.... looooooooooooong running joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not closing but Uber cutting a lot of jobs in Limerick, in the leader today.

• Advertisement

Not closing but Uber cutting a lot of jobs in Limerick, in the leader today.
    U serious have a lot of friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

U serious have a lot of friends there.

30% of the 500 staff according to the leader.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They're cutting 3700 jobs worldwide.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No rumors please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

MarkR wrote: »
    No rumors please
    Apologies, my bad. Lots of rumors/stories circulating on social media these days, was only posting here in the hope of getting some clarification. But in hindsight, I know that was a bad idea. Let's hope this thread keeps quiet over the next few weeks/months

150 laid off during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Its not look good for the Limerick Centre, they have been outsourcing alot of work to an outside contractor in Newcastle, lower wages!.

apc wrote: »
    Its not look good for the Limerick Centre, they have been outsourcing alot of work to an outside contractor in Newcastle, lower wages!.
    Have they werent they only looking for people last year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Last year is a million miles away from where we are right now.

bazz26 wrote: »

you can def say that again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

you can def say that again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Comhra wrote: »

Any want handcuffs or whip hardly used :p:D:D:D

That was on the cards for a while anyway i think. Is there any shops still open on that street?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mothercare have gone into liquidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Plush beauty in Raheen/Dooradoyle won’t be re opening.

Plush beauty in Raheen/Dooradoyle won’t be re opening.

Poor lady that place was robbed last year when they put in the front window.& damaged the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Her facebook post is heartbreaking. 19 years in business.

Advertisement