Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They’re not demolishing the Granary building are they?

Not the Granary itself, but the office extension where the library is situated will be demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Demolition is due to begin onsite in the Autumn. Everyone has to vacate. HAP will be moving to new offices where Elverys used to be on Henry St and and the Library will be moving across the road to the old InStore building.

Will this effect businesses on Rutland St. - such as The Green Onion, Celtic Bookshop, etc.? Or maybe the project isn't extending over that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Will this effect businesses on Rutland St. - such as The Green Onion, Celtic Bookshop, etc.? Or maybe the project isn't extending over that far?

Hardly i say cause they are @ the front & side & what they are demolishing is kind @ the back & side of them.

The project doesn't include 1-3 Rutland St. and the boarded up building (no.4) next to the Green Onion is where the site begins. Nos 4 & 5 are to be refurbished, while nos 6 & 7 are to be demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Hardly i say cause they are @ the front & side & what they are demolishing is kind @ the back & side of them.

I would assume they'll have to close no? Surely those buildings will need some serious renovating no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I would assume they'll have to close no? Surely those buildings will need some serious renovating no?

Why would they? Their building will be entirely untouched. Extensive refurbishments took place to many buildings in the city centre over recent years and adjoining businesses were unimpacted. The buildings next door to the Celtic Bookstore and Green Onion are to be renovated for retail and residential uses. But that element of the project may not start for a number of years unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭phog

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Vanquished wrote: »
    Why would they? Their building will be entirely untouched. Extensive refurbishments took place to many buildings in the city centre over recent years and adjoining businesses were unimpacted. The buildings next door to the Celtic Bookstore and Green Onion are to be renovated for retail and residential uses. But that element of the project may not start for a number of years unfortunately.

Equally, Chesser's (?) Auctioneers had to vacant their premises on Cecil St to allow for the demolition of the buildings for the Rugby Museum.

phog wrote: »
    Equally, Chesser's (?) Auctioneers had to vacant their premises on Cecil St to allow for the demolition of the buildings for the Rugby Museum.

The two buildings next to the Green Onion aren't being demolished. They're in no. 3 Rutland St. Three doors down, No. 6 Rutland St. is the nearest building that will be demolished.

Chessers building, while not demolished, is within the building site and has to be held up with steel supports. The building next door to that is still occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

phog wrote: »

The businesses at the opposite end of the site: Jasmine Palace and Carraig Donn didn't close due to the construction though.

Vanquished wrote: »
    The businesses at the opposite end of the site: Jasmine Palace and Carraig Donn didn't close due to the construction though.
    But them 2 businesses the building is different see the difference from the yellow to the red brick on attached pic 1 & when you look @ chesser building see how thin the building is compared to the others beside it on pic 2.The support on its right then was gone that why they needed to put up support there.Also notice the top of Chesser building the top of it is cut broken like it was cut in two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Argos Cruises Street closing in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Click & collect not enough for them to stay in the city

Mc Love wrote: »

If click and collect only is going to be Argos policy permantly they'll lose a lot of custom and more than Cruises St. Will close.

Another blow to the forgotten street Thats nearly all the original Tenants gone now isnt it ? river island only original tenant still left i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I found the click and collect dire in that branch, had three orders cancelled or postponed last minute within the space of 6 months last year, one being when we had parked up the car in the city centre.

For some bizarre reason they've been the only Argos store I've encountered that had consistent issues with deliveries. Ended up just doing click and collect back in Dublin when I was visiting my parents because I hate Childers Road carpark and lost all hope in the Cruises Street branch.

I found the click and collect dire in that branch, had three orders cancelled or postponed last minute within the space of 6 months last year, one being when we had parked up the car in the city centre.

For some bizarre reason they've been the only Argos store I've encountered that had consistent issues with deliveries. Ended up just doing click and collect back in Dublin when I was visiting my parents because I hate Childers Road carpark and lost all hope in the Cruises Street branch.

you do know that there is one in the crescent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

you do know that there is one in the crescent as well.

I don't go near the Crescent unless there's more than one shop I need to go to. I don't find it a pleasant experience and there's no food options worth the money compared to the city centre.

I don't go near the Crescent unless there's more than one shop I need to go to. I don't find it a pleasant experience and there's no food options worth the money compared to the city centre.
    No prob i thought u might'nt have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I’ll really miss that. Phones, SD cards, cables ... best selection in the city centre. Walking distance too. Childers Rd & Crescent a pain to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I’ll really miss that. Phones, SD cards, cables ... best selection in the city centre. Walking distance too. Childers Rd & Crescent a pain to get to.

Plus 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 molbeckystan

I can't imagine the Argos in Cruises St did too much business beside smaller items you can carry out. Its always been the Childers Rd one for me but like ChewBerecca said, getting in & out of that place is horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So the city is going to look more like a ghost town...

The council need to take a look at what they can do to get business's to set there and drove footfall...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If they build the LNDR they can turn more streets in pedestrianised streets and thus save the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

If they build the LNDR they can turn more streets in pedestrianised streets and thus save the city.

I think if your going to piss away 200 million in the hope it might help the city, lets at least piss it away inside the city. The NDR on its own will not take any cars out of the city centre, with some extra spending on city works, it could remove maybe a few hundred cars a day.

A better idea would be an east to west tram that starts with a P&R at the Mackey roundabout, stops at National technology park, UL, Parkway, city centre, crescent, UHL, Raheen business park and P&R Off the M20. This would take a few thousand cars out of the city center easily

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mdmix wrote: »
    I think if your going to piss away 200 million in the hope it might help the city, lets at least piss it away inside the city. The NDR on its own will not take any cars out of the city centre, with some extra spending on city works, it could remove maybe a few hundred cars a day.

A better idea would be an east to west tram that starts with a P&R at the Mackey roundabout, stops at National technology park, UL, Parkway, city centre, crescent, UHL, Raheen business park and P&R Off the M20. This would take a few thousand cars out of the city center easily

Great idea, they could have carriages crossing the city on the road every 15 mins with stops along the way in strategic areas and terminating outside Debenhams or on William street. Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭topcat72

Rumours around other nearby city businesses on Cruises that have not yet reopened also. A worrying time for workers.

topcat72 wrote: »
    Rumours around other nearby city businesses on Cruises that have not yet reopened also. A worrying time for workers.
    cant be than many left on cruises street except for the pop up calendar shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So the city is going to look more like a ghost town...

The council need to take a look at what they can do to get business's to set there and drove footfall...

Best thing they could do is nothing at all. They haven't a brain between them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Debenhams and Argos are huge blows to the city centre. Eason doesn't look like it is readying to open either which is concerning as the Eason in the Crescent is already trading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Debenhams and Argos are huge blows to the city centre. Eason doesn't look like it is readying to open either which is concerning as the Eason in the Crescent is already trading.

If Eason doesn't re-open, it will leave a huge void in the very centre of the city. I used love to drop in there for a browse on Sat mornings. Even if I didn't buy something every time I dropped in, it was a nice shop to visit, and exit onto Cruises St. on the way to the Market.

Advertisement