Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Comhra wrote: »
    If Eason doesn't re-open, it will leave a huge void in the very centre of the city. I used love to drop in there for a browse on Sat mornings. Even if I didn't buy something every time I dropped in, it was a nice shop to visit, and exit onto Cruises St. on the way to the Market.

it was a great shop before they downsized it a bit. havent been in there in ages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

it was a great shop before they downsized it a bit. havent been in there in ages though.

They were selling the building to lease it back anyone know if it sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If Eason doesn't re-open, it will leave a huge void in the very centre of the city. I used love to drop in there for a browse on Sat mornings. Even if I didn't buy something every time I dropped in, it was a nice shop to visit, and exit onto Cruises St. on the way to the Market.

It’s reopening Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Many people are afraid to go into limerick city centre in particular older people . This reduces footfall substantially which leads to places closing . Compared to other major city’s Limerick has dozens of feral youths knocking round robbing with no regard for anyone . The few guards that are there try hard but the local judge won’t jail anyone so people underestimate how big an impact crime has on the city centres demise .

At least in the crescent there’s security and more footfall of law abiding people to protect shoppers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

hurler32 wrote: »
    Many people are afraid to go into limerick city centre in particular older people . This reduces footfall substantially which leads to places closing . Compared to other major city’s Limerick has dozens of feral youths knocking round robbing with no regard for anyone . The few guards that are there try hard but the local judge won’t jail anyone so people underestimate how big an impact crime has on the city centres demise .

At least in the crescent there’s security and more footfall of law abiding people to protect shoppers .

Is that really an issue? I've genuinely never seen anything like that in the city. Am I just lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

pigtown wrote: »
    Is that really an issue? I've genuinely never seen anything like that in the city. Am I just lucky?
    Nor have I and I'm there 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Glenomra wrote: »
    Nor have I and I'm there 5 days a week.

I used to work in the city centre, I live at the edge of the city centre since 2008 and have experienced the type of feral youth described maybe 2 or 3 times in that time.

There certainly aren't groups of them roaming the streets daily searching for unsuspecting victims as that post from hurler would suggest.

hurler32 wrote: »

Been to Cork lately? It’s like a scene from Game of thrones, white walkers everywhere.

Been to Cork lately? It’s like a scene from Game of thrones, white walkers everywhere.

yes i am the 1% who has'nt watched game of thrones i had to google what u meant.

yes i am the 1% who has'nt watched game of thrones i had to google what u meant.

I was proudly part of that 1% but had to agree to watch it. I don’t think I’ve hated a tv show as much since The Sullivan’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭djdunny

Looks like Mejana is closing their restaraunt according to their FB page. Concentrating on The Cedar House.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

It’s reopening Monday.

Have heard via a retailer on Cruises st. that Easons in the city are closing , peered through the windows a few hours ago & absolutely no magazines on the shelves unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

airnwater wrote: »
    Have heard via a retailer on Cruises st. that Easons in the city are closing , peered through the windows a few hours ago & absolutely no magazines on the shelves unfortunately

They had an issue with basement flooding over lockdown, but afaik they are due to open this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Walked past Eason around 11am and it was closed, in darkness inside with no signs of activity. Hopefully it'll re-open later in the week. City centre isn't the same without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

In all honestly I did not find eason great at all. O Mahonys was way nicer to browse in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭phog

Walked past Eason around 11am and it was closed, in darkness inside with no signs of activity. Hopefully it'll re-open later in the week. City centre isn't the same without it.

They never once decorated the outside of their store for Christmas, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I can't recall the last time I needed to shop there. O'Mahony's is a far better shop and it's local.

I suppose it served a purpose when the stocked all the regional newspapers and magazines but so now so many have switched to online publishing I don't see any reason to having to shop in Easons

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Definitely as a book store, O'Mahonys is much better, maybe the same for stationary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Agreed O'Mahonys is a much better shop but I just liked the location of Eason and there was a great vibe there up to a few years ago. The closing of the top floor was a big downgrade and the foot-fall in has greatly diminished in recent years but nonetheless I used always like to drop in there and over the years I bought a lot of magazines, books & diaries etc.

I suppose I'm feeling a bit nostalgic when I say I'd miss it as one of the landmark shops in the city centre.

According to the website they’re reopening this week.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Definitely as a book store, O'Mahonys is much better, maybe the same for stationary etc.

Ya o Mahonys was always the Main/best Book store. Easons was the jack of all trades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

If I was looking for a book I wouldn’t go past o Mahonys but I also like tor read magazines so it would be an awful shame if Easons didn’t open back up, it’s the only decent newsagent in town, most small towns would have a decent newsagent

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

A poster said they had a look in the window and absolutely nothing was on the shelves. Another poster mentioned the basement had flooded but I wouldn't think they'd take everything out of the ground floor because of the basement flooding? I don't see them opening again to be honest. They'd be doing well to get the place back up and running this week according to their website or FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Isn't speculation not allowed on these threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

CosmicFool wrote: »
    A poster said they had a look in the window and absolutely nothing was on the shelves. Another poster mentioned the basement had flooded but I wouldn't think they'd take everything out of the ground floor because of the basement flooding? I don't see them opening again to be honest. They'd be doing well to get the place back up and running this week according to their website or FB page.
    The reason that the shelves in the magazine section are empty is all the magazines went back or were thrown out as they were out of date. Looked in myself today all bookshelves sections stocked and card section also stocked

sioda wrote: »
    The reason that the shelves in the magazine section are empty is all the magazines went back or were thrown out as they were out of date. Looked in myself today all bookshelves sections stocked and card section also stocked

Ya you are right there they send all the magazines back to the publisher so they can get the money back Prob the same with some of the food/sweets as well cause it would be out of dat or sell the stock off cheap..& the shop sheleves would bare for that reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

sioda wrote: »

A perfect example of Occam’s Razor in action...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Isn't speculation not allowed on these threads?

And there is even no need for speculation! Their website clearly says they are reopening week 29 June. All high street shops, including O’Connell street in Dublin have this reopening date on their website. Shopping centre stores opened earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Anyone know if limerick sport store is closed? That's where I bought my young lads first set of hurling gear and I bought my first helmet there also, now my daughter is starting camogie this year.....maybe it will be Gleesons

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Has Establishment at Riverpoint closed or still open? Their website and Facebook page are gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,451 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tommy249 wrote: »
    Has Establishment at Riverpoint closed or still open? Their website and Facebook page are gone

But their marketing is so good
    Establishment is an authentic, late night bar that appeals to a cross-section of Limerick society from the gritty underclass of sophisticates to creatives and the party set. Establishment has areas that satisfy a want for exclusivity and other areas that create a space for typical Limerick social intercourse.

Advertisement