Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has worms - advice?

• 16-10-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey, advice needed! Our dog vomited a few mins ago and it had worms in it, I know he was due worming dose in October, and we are due down to the vets with the other dog this Wednesday do we were gonna get both doses then. Question is now he has worms will a worming dose be enough or is that strictly preventative? Will he need other medication to get rid of them? Also is it contagious as we have another dog in the house too? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

worm pill will kill them - there is no preventative treatment, you just worm them at intervals that don't allow the worms to mature and reproduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How often do you worm them?
    It best worm every 3 months, do all pets at same time(cats and dogs), get a tablet from the vet, not the supermarket stuff.
    For it to get so bad he vomits them up in must be a very heavy worm burden. You may have to worm every 2 weeks for 6 weeks to be sure.
    Ask the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As above, he has a very high worm burden if hes actually vomiting them up. Can you get Drontal Plus tomorrow rather than wait until wednesday. Is he acting ok in himself demeanour wise? He'll probably need a consecutive dose in a couple of weeks and both dogs will need to be done. Once treated he should be ok. High worm burdens can cause fatalities in puppies/young dogs but in an older dog they can tolerate them a lot more, although can still cause ill thrift with diarrhoea and weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Just on the subject of worming...I know they are like treats for the dogs now and it's no trouble to get them to take them, unlike cats.

My 4 are due another dose....what does everyone pay for these worming tablets and would it be cheaper to order online rather than get from the vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Groom! wrote: »
    Just on the subject of worming...I know they are like treats for the dogs now and it's no trouble to get them to take them, unlike cats.

My 4 are due another dose....what does everyone pay for these worming tablets and would it be cheaper to order online rather than get from the vet?

€8.35 for the milbemax 5-25kg size in our vets and they have a promotion on 4 for the price of 3 so other vets probably have it too. It was the first time i've given him a worm tablet since we always used Advocate but I decided to switch to separate flee (Advantage) and wormer to save a few quid and also cos he swims a lot - €27 saved compared to 3 months supply of Advocate. They were like chewy treats lol. i may alternate with Drontal to save more and also because I read you should alternate so they don't build up a resistance? Obviously everything is cheaper online - I got the Advantage from petmeds.co.uk - £12 for 4 months supply of the 25kg+ one and free shipping as it was my first order with them. I ordered on Monday and they were delivered on Thursday. Also you can get anperscription from the vets and use it to buy prescription only stuff online - they all seem to be around 50% cheaper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Has anybody tried the husse herbal worming? I saw it at the pet expo, I like the sound of it but haven't heard anything about it before.
    Thats not a wormer and shouldnt claim to be. Its basically a vitamin supplement in my eyes. A proper wormer should contain an actual anthelminthic which actually kills the parasite, none of which that product contains unfortunately. Were they actually advertising it as a wormer at the show?

Quoted from Merck Vet Manual
    wrote:
    In dogs and cats, mebendazole, fenbendazole, febantel, and flubendazole are used for treatment of roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. However, treatment must be given bid (twice per day) for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

the best wormer to give are the ones that you put on in the back of their neck. in cats you can get it, it's called profender, stronghold and there is also Advocate. My friend also got a spot on for her dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

anniehoo wrote: »
    Thats not a wormer and shouldnt claim to be. Its basically a vitamin supplement in my eyes. A proper wormer should contain an actual anthelminthic which actually kills the parasite, none of which that product contains unfortunately. Were they actually advertising it as a wormer at the show?

Quoted from Merck Vet Manual

Yep, I spoke to the rep about it, although he did point out that it wouldn't kill the worms. He told me that it was all herbal ingredients, that cleanse the system and flush out any parasites. He also said to ensure to dispose of the poo afterwards as there may be live worms/eggs that would live for years.

that cleanse the system and flush out any parasites. .
    Honestly you'd be wasting your money getting this as a "dewormer". Part of the lifecycle of the common roundworm (T.canis) involves the lungs (larval stage) so to "flush out" the intestine is not solving the problem unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Your wasting your money on anything that isn't behind the counter wormers to be honest.

The active ingredients in a proper wormer are mebendazole, fenbendazole, febantel, and flubendazole as someone below has already quoted.

Milbemax are the most palatable tablet if your dog is fussy.
    Drontal is also good and can come in puppy syrups(ask your vet about the adult dose required if you want to use a puppy version though).
    Panacur is another one you could use,though if im remembering rightly it takes a bit longer to work than the others so might not be great if the dogs already vomiting them up.

These are the ones that work.They are controlled and licensed as high doses(very high doses so dont be worried about using them) can cause side effects.This is because they use different ways of killing parasites,such as shutting down the nervous system,to work while not harming the animal due to careful dosages that have been worked out over time by vigorous research and testing.

bob martin etc....scam.read the fine print on they they never actually claim to kill just to repel.....

Advertisement