Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THe sixteenth round

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Is the old edition valuable for collecting? If not then it looks like plain market failure. The guys selling the old edition mightn't have copped that a new edition is out that costs a fifth of their price.

Just looking to buy a book myself there: €50 on Book Depository new; minimum €35 used on Amazon, with the next cheapest more expensive than new from Book Depository. Perhaps these independent online booksellers just treat books as entries on an Excel sheet and don't actually bother trying to find their true market value.

(If that's the only thing you're getting from Amazon you'll save if you buy it here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Sixteenth-Round-Rubin-Hurricane-Carter/9781569765678)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It appears that some sellers on Amazon are setting their prices via algorithms which respond to changes in the prices listed by other sellers. Notice how it's not just one seller offering the book at £80+, but four, even though second hand copies of that edition start at £13.79, while the more recent edition can be bought for even less. If you get a bunch of sellers offering the same title, all setting their price automatically in response to the others, things can occasionally get a little out of hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Is the old edition valuable for collecting? If not then it looks like plain market failure. The guys selling the old edition mightn't have copped that a new edition is out that costs a fifth of their price.

Just looking to buy a book myself there: €50 on Book Depository new; minimum €35 used on Amazon, with the next cheapest more expensive than new from Book Depository. Perhaps these independent online booksellers just treat books as entries on an Excel sheet and don't actually bother trying to find their true market value.

(If that's the only thing you're getting from Amazon you'll save if you buy it here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Sixteenth-Round-Rubin-Hurricane-Carter/9781569765678)

Yeah it must be that they didn't realise the new edition was out, because I remember looking about 6 months ago and was seeing £80 for a book and I didn't buy it! yeah was debating about whether to getting it from amazon or book depositary.. did I really need that shoe rack and the butter dish!

[QUOTE=It appears that some sellers on Amazon are setting their prices via algorithms which respond to changes in the prices listed by other sellers. Notice how it's not just one seller offering the book at £80+, but four, even though second hand copies of that edition start at £13.79, while the more recent edition can be bought for even less. If you get a bunch of sellers offering the same title, all setting their price automatically in response to the others, things can occasionally get a little out of hand![/QUOTE]

haha that is fairly out of hand!

Advertisement