Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official MS VGA cable Vs 3rd Party

Options
  • 16-10-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

So I bought a cheap as chips 3rd party Xbox VGA cable off Ebay so I could hook my Xbox up to my PC monitor but I'm getting rubbish resolutions, something ridiculous like 640x480 and I can't find anyway of changing it via the Xbox console or the PC monitor itself.

I wonder is this because of a cheap 3rd party cable or maybe the monitor itself?

I don't wanna fork out full whack for an official MS cable to have a repeat incident.

Any ideas?

Oh I'm using a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card through a Dell E22WFP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

A quick look online and I came across this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

I know you won't get HD through VGA and I'm guessing 640 is about the best you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

..Brian.. wrote: »
    So I bought a cheap as chips 3rd party Xbox VGA cable off Ebay so I could hook my Xbox up to my PC monitor but I'm getting rubbish resolutions, something ridiculous like 640x480 and I can't find anyway of changing it via the Xbox console or the PC monitor itself.

I wonder is this because of a cheap 3rd party cable or maybe the monitor itself?

I don't wanna fork out full whack for an official MS cable to have a repeat incident.

Any ideas?

Oh I'm using a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card through a Dell E22WFP

The problem is the cheap cable. I was in the same boat as you. I ended up paying for an official one, and was able to get proper quality from it.
    A quick look online and I came across this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

I know you won't get HD through VGA and I'm guessing 640 is about the best you'll get.

You can get HD resolutions through VGA. Just not sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Excellent! Now just to source one!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

The official MS Xbox 360 VGA cable will output right up to 1900 x 1080 but your monitor will have to have that mode available to it.

You get sound from two phono leads and also a phono to jack adapter for them.

I know you said you have a monitor, but not if it had a HDMI input?

If you can go with HDMI that would be the better route. Also it's cheaper!

The Xbox 360 outputs much better definition and color through the HDMI.

You might not notice this though until you get into 46" - 55" region of screens.

Alas no HDMI on the monitor, nor the Xbox actually as its the original one I bought 5 years ago. :(

On a plus side I found a official cable on play.com for €18.99 with free shipping so thats grand. Click :D

I thought it was gonna be closer to €50. Pixmania have it for €35 and €16 shipping :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Old school - NICE!

Defo go with the Official - I've used 3rd party in the past and there not the same build quality at all.

You get a little yellow extension adapter with the official one too incase you want to extend the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

..Brian.. wrote: »
    On a plus side I found a official cable on play.com for €18.99 with free shipping so thats grand. Click :D

My nearest hmv has them for about 15euro

but the cheap 3rd party one should work anyway try this good luck

Official cable in the post, will update thread once received, fingers crossed it does the job!

Just to update this thread the Official MS VGA Cable arrived the other day and it works perfectly. Getting 1680 x 1050 and it looks beautiful so the fault is defo the cheaper knock off cables.

The only reason i went with a cheap one originally was cause your looking 40 or 50 quid for a official one off some sites including shipping but if yer looking for em, €18.99 off Play.com with free shipping, result!

Advertisement