Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rate of stamp duty for buying residential to use as commercial?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

If I buy a property that is currently residential, but I'm buying it to use it for business purposes in the coming months after getting it, am I supposed to pay the residential 1% stamp duty rate or the commercial rate?

I'll obviously be getting my solicitor to put this through for me but just want to do the maths in my own head. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

summereire wrote: »
    If I buy a property that is currently residential, but I'm buying it to use it for business purposes in the coming months after getting it, am I supposed to pay the residential 1% stamp duty rate or the commercial rate?

I'll obviously be getting my solicitor to put this through for me but just want to do the maths in my own head. Thanks in advance.
    Is there planning permission for commercial use?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

No, but I've spoken to the planners and they're favourable to it being used for the type of light commercial use I have in mind, but yeah there probably would be a planning application involved a little later.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine its based on existing use, not proposed use.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

Thanks, yeah the more I think about it that must be the case. I just wasn't sure if I was missing any law that says it must continue to be used for that purpose for X amount of time after buying but that doesn't seem to exist so that's handy with the present rates.

Advertisement