Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where in cork to begin hill walking?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi, as the title suggests near the city............:)

Comments

Kerry!

You have transport? Would have thought the Galtees the nearest for altitude. Some lovely walks around Gougane Barra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Waterford is close too, plenty nice walks in the Commeraghs, plenty around Hungry hill in Adrigole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

You could start with the marked trails i nthe Nagles, near Killavullen, just to get a taste. The Ballyhouras are another option, not too far beyond Mallow.

Cork is well positioned ot make the most of Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford as the lads suggested, all about 1.5 hours drive from the city.

We head out nearly every weekend if you want to fall in some day you'd be welcome, send me a message...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Looking to explore Nagles as they are so close to city.

Where is the best place to explore the Nagles from?

My map shows Parking at a place called Gortroche Forest on the east side
    and Glenagear Forest on the west, the east (Gortroche) would suit me best
    These are not mapped on the coillteoutdoors website as forest/recreation sites

Any info on Nagle mountains websites , maps, starting points and trails there would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

There's a number of walks around the Nagles on the evertrail site:

http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=828010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Nearest mountain to Cork City Knocknaskagh mountain in eastern Nagles mountains North Cork , Great place to start out , Not too high or difficult , plenty of forest roads/paths and super close to city takes about 30 minutes to get to the Gortrouche forest park. Drive to Glenville and then turn off for Mallow and turn off again for Gortrouche carpark is 3.5 miles up on this road. You see this carkpark marked on most maps. I have to try the west nagles Killvullen side when weather improves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

The Black Road up the south side of Galtymore is a relatively easy way to try one of Ireland's tallest mountains.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~johnbcnone/Documents/Galtees.htm

There is loads of good walking in the Knockmealdowns too. The climb up the Sugarloaf and onto Knockmealdown from the Vee is another relatively easy walk up a taller Irish mountain.

http://www.munsterhillwalks.com/index.php/knock-vee

Both are within an hour from Cork.

Advertisement